Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion

• 256 replies
Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
Hopefully the transition D has been emphasized.  From the little I saw of them they were getting the ball up the court quicker than your typical Michigan State team.  Lets go St. John's!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

Re: Game 4: Michigan State Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
We have guards that can play with anybody.  Need to tighten up defense, and get some of our frontcourt scoring more inside.  That's it.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »
Hopefully the transition D has been emphasized.  From the little I saw of them they were getting the ball up the court quicker than your typical Michigan State team.  Lets go St. John's!
http://nypost.com/2016/11/23/st-johns-chris-mullin-relish-chance-to-take-on-top-25-team/

"We fell apart on defense which is  something we hadn’t seen before for whatever reason,” Mullin said. “The defense was the biggest disappointment. The transition defense was really poor. I thought we were slow all night"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:14:06 AM by paultzman »

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
One of the big keys to being competitive tonight will be making sure that they stay in front of MSU's frosh phenom, Miles Bridges. Coffey was good but Bridges is better and more polished. Seems like a one and done guy.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
My family and I just ran into Tom Izzo.  We were on same floor and took elevator together.

I wished him luck and jokingly said to take it easy on us.  He said SJU will be tough and that his team is pretty beat up.

We also ran into Mullin yesterday upon arrival.  He saw my daughter in SJU shirt & hat and gave handshakes, said thanks for coming down to support team and wished a Happy Thanksgiving and said see you later.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:04:16 AM »
My family and I just ran into Tom Izzo.  We were on same floor and took elevator together.

I wished him luck and jokingly said to take it easy on us.  He said SJU will be tough and that his team is pretty beat up.

We also ran into Mullin yesterday upon arrival.  He saw my daughter in SJU shirt & hat and gave handshakes, said thanks for coming down to support team and wished a Happy Thanksgiving and said see you later.

Good stuff. Keep us updated

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »
One of the big keys to being competitive tonight will be making sure that they stay in front of MSU's frosh phenom, Miles Bridges. Coffey was good but Bridges is better and more polished. Seems like a one and done guy.

I think in order to have a chance, our staff needs to have a clear plan for guarding him, and they may not yet. Out of our options,
I could see Yakwe or Ahmed given a chance first. Ellison hasn't given us any reason yet to think that he can guard anyone. Amar has shown such a low IQ, and we haven't seen enough of him this year to know if he can contribute. I don't know who else we could even consider putting on him.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »

I think in order to have a chance, our staff needs to have a clear plan for guarding him, and they may not yet. Out of our options,
I could see Yakwe or Ahmed given a chance first. Ellison hasn't given us any reason yet to think that he can guard anyone. Amar has shown such a low IQ, and we haven't seen enough of him this year to know if he can contribute. I don't know who else we could even consider putting on him.

Agree that Yakwe and Ahmed seem to be our best options for sure although his strength/speed mismatch will probably be too much for anyone.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »
I expect Bridges to be relatively shutdown by Ahmed. Ahmed will come in with the singular focus of doing just that. I doubt very much a kid like him won't come out like a madman after what the frosh from Minny did.

If Bridges beats us, I will have serious questions about Ahmed and the staff.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »
Harris is the guy I am most worried about.  Kid can shoot and score.  Bridges will get his points, key is not letting someone else pick up the slack should either of the two not play well.  Harris got benched against UK because he was not hustling on D.  Seemed to light a fire up his ass because he lit up FGCU with 6 threes.  Believe he was like 6 for 6. 

Bigs have to stay out of foul trouble because MSU is small.  Guys need to step up down low and take some of the pressure off our guards.  Harris is 6'2 and will have advantage on our guards.  Going to have to guard him further away from basket. 

This is a game where the bigs step up, with MSU missing some guys down low.  Would also like to see Ponds get more touches in second half.  He can be difference maker for sure.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:25:52 PM by rdstr25 »

kjd01067

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
Anyone know of a live stream for this game? I have Time warner and don't get AXS

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
I expect Bridges to be relatively shutdown by Ahmed. Ahmed will come in with the singular focus of doing just that. I doubt very much a kid like him won't come out like a madman after what the frosh from Minny did.

Why do you expect us to shutdown Bridges after we gave Coffey whatever he wanted less than a week ago?

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »

28 and 12 for Bridges.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »

When I suggested that he might not take over the world you lost your shit. Now, after 4 games he'll be dead to you if he doesn't produce? Maybe give him 5 games, or IDK the full month before judging a kid who played in empty arenas for the last two years.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:28:55 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

Bridges (full disclosure, never heard of him) is a 5 star recruit who in his first four college games is averaging 16/10/3, two of those games versus top 10 teams in the country. And if Ahmed doesn't shut him down you will have questions about his ability and the staff's competence? Sounds a wee precipitous.

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
Bridges will get his, but their team is a bit banged up and he's a big piece of their offensive output.  We need to defend better and if we do, 23 can make it a game.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Start Amar, leave him on Bridges until he fouls out

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
Anyone know of a live stream for this game? I have Time warner and don't get AXS
I have optimum same Problem , someone help us! ESPN could not even send us to ESPN 3 what is the deal?!.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:49:16 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

LoganK

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
Start Amar, leave him on Bridges until he fouls out
1st media timeout?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:44:46 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.