Sima Transferring

• 156 replies
Re: Sima Transferring
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
He improved in all areas.  Not in leaps and bounds but he improved.  Biggest thing was his motor and that He struggled fitting into our offense which is probably related.  Him leaving isnt best for all parties.  7 footers with his mobility dont grow on trees.

What mobility are you talking about? He was about as mobile as Mohammed Diakite. I think some fans have vastly overrated his ability. He is nowhere near as good as Obekpa or even God's Gift.

Are you telling me Sima isn't good enough for St. John's?   A big man that doesn't need development is a one-and-done and we've never had one at St. John's (7 footer). No one is saying he was Olajuwon but the kid had tools and this is a loss (though the sky isn't falling).  If you want to bury your head in the sand it's your choice.  Biggest issue was that he had a tough time finding a place in the offense were running more than anything (partly him and partly coaching IMO).

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

goredmen

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
He improved in all areas.  Not in leaps and bounds but he improved.  Biggest thing was his motor and that He struggled fitting into our offense which is probably related.  Him leaving isnt best for all parties.  7 footers with his mobility dont grow on trees.

Not sure what player you watched this season to think he improved. I can't think of one thing he does better this year compared to last year. He still can't score with his back to the basket, still can't shoot from the midrange, decent defensively but not much different from last year. Last year I thought sky was the limit for him I was very disappointed by his play this year. Owens has better than him most of the time.

Not saying it's a good thing he left, but I didn't say any improvement whatsoever

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
Transfers hurt continuity. Sima has looked lost and sluggish. Owens if he can stay out of foul trouble is a better player. With that said, we are going to be short handed the rest of the season.   
This is a bad rule. Kids should be allowed to transfer. But at the end of the season.

I agree with you 100%

I disagree. 
"Student athletes" should be able to transfer just like other students.

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
I think the coaches tried to make him into something he could never be -- a post up player.   He has nice touch.  Playing him and Yakwe limited his opportunities.

TONYD3

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
I think the coaches tried to make him into something he could never be -- a post up player.   He has nice touch.  Playing him and Yakwe limited his opportunities.
If he is not a post up player what is he? The draw and kick offense isn't doing the him or any other foward and favors.

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »

Not sure what player you watched this season to think he improved. I can't think of one thing he does better this year compared to last year. He still can't score with his back to the basket, still can't shoot from the midrange, decent defensively but not much different from last year. Last year I thought sky was the limit for him I was very disappointed by his play this year. Owens has better than him most of the time.

Not saying it's a good thing he left, but I didn't say any improvement whatsoever

Guess we saw different things.  His low post moves and his shooting stroke improved. 

Wods317

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »

Guess we saw different things.  His low post moves and his shooting stroke improved. 

I think his free throw shooting has seemed to improve. I don't see much improvement otherwise and I actually think he may have regressed a bit in some aspects.

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »

I guess. The scouting report other teams have on him is to obviously let him try and score with his back to the basket. I don't recall many double teams sent at him when he caught the ball on the block and I don't think there'd be any chance he'd be able to find the open guy and get it to him

cjfish

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
Sima Clogged the current offense.  THe offense will be guard oriented the rest of the year and, with Simon coming, probably for 2 years.  With Lovett and Ponds, and to a lesser extent Mussini, the ball will move and people will be found.  The big guys need to do more inside out and they seem to be learning.....particularly Amar who moves the ball pretty well. Ball needs to move crisply and Sima was noticeably poor at this.  Zakwe not much better but is showing signs of picking it up.

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »

I guess. The scouting report other teams have on him is to obviously let him try and score with his back to the basket. I don't recall many double teams sent at him when he caught the ball on the block and I don't think there'd be any chance he'd be able to find the open guy and get it to him

He's the only player on our team that has made a back to the basket move all year.  I guess we'll just post up Mussini

goredmen

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »

He's the only player on our team that has made a back to the basket move all year.  I guess we'll just post up Mussini

He makes back to the basket moves but he doesn't score when doing so. He doesn't have the touch. Maybe that will improve over time but he's no better at that than he was last year. And just because he's the only one that has made a back to the basket doesn't mean he's good at it. Obviously Yakwe and Owens can't do it either. That's why we shoot so many 3s

TONYD3

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
Sima Clogged the current offense.  THe offense will be guard oriented the rest of the year and, with Simon coming, probably for 2 years.  With Lovett and Ponds, and to a lesser extent Mussini, the ball will move and people will be found.  The big guys need to do more inside out and they seem to be learning.....particularly Amar who moves the ball pretty well. Ball needs to move crisply and Sima was noticeably poor at this.  Zakwe not much better but is showing signs of picking it up.
What looked great against Tulane and Fordham may not be as easy come conference play. Sima will be missed.

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
Sima's back to the basket move was the so mechanical... It was almost like watching a play in slow motion.   Thought he was going to get stripped of the ball every time, never mind the kitten shot.

Other than a warm body against Big East teams we're likely not to beat too often this year anyway, we'll make up most of it with Ali B, Owens, Freud... 

will be more enjoyable to watch even if we lose.

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2016, 06:49:32 PM »

He makes back to the basket moves but he doesn't score when doing so. He doesn't have the touch. Maybe that will improve over time but he's no better at that than he was last year. And just because he's the only one that has made a back to the basket doesn't mean he's good at it. Obviously Yakwe and Owens can't do it either. That's why we shoot so many 3s

A couple a game is better than none.  Kid is 10 games into his sophomore year.  Still plenty of time to improve but since he's not shooting 70% and scoring 20 a game then good riddens to him.

If you look at him starting at the beginning of last year to this year there was a lot of improvement.   Doesn't mean I think he was a firstbround pick or other teams needed to gameplan for him. 

goredmen

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »

A couple a game is better than none.  Kid is 10 games into his sophomore year.  Still plenty of time to improve but since he's not shooting 70% and scoring 20 a game then good riddens to him.

If you look at him starting at the beginning of last year to this year there was a lot of improvement.   Doesn't mean I think he was a firstbround pick or other teams needed to gameplan for him. 

He wasn't scoring a couple a game with his back to the basket. All of his points were on catch and dunks/layups or putbacks.

Against the 4 decent or good teams we've played this season (MInnesota, MSU, VCU, Old Dom) he's shooting 35% from the field. That is horrific for a guy whose vast majority of shots are in the paint. Overall, last year he shot 48% from the field, this year 44% and that number probably would not have gone up once we started playing decent teams night in and night out. He was nothing more than a complete liability on offense so far this year. I think pre-injury Sima last year was the best Sima we've seen.

That said, I'm not happy he's gone because you can never have too many bigs. But I'm extremely concerned about the staff's player development skills mostly because of the lack of improvement Sima and Yakwe have shown this year

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
Not happy to see this.  I thought he'd be a solid 4-year player. It's vitally important to the health of every program to have veteran bigs--even if  they are just 8-12 mpg guys.

The silver lining is that Owens will play more by default and Yakwe won't play as much PF.

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
Only at St Johns would fans think it was good to lose a 6'11 sophomore. You would think that staff had some 4 and 5 star bigs lining up to come to Queens

TONYD3

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
Only at St Johns would fans think it was good to lose a 6'11 sophomore. You would think that staff had some 4 and 5 star bigs lining up to come to Queens
We have the German and Amar to guard the post. All is good!

Johnny23

« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
Most aren't saying that it is good to lose Sima. Rather what many are saying is that based on his play and lack of improvement, it is not that big of a loss. It also gives young guys like Yakwe, Owens and Freud more minutes to develop. This is where you can also see how much coaching can come into play to aid in their development.

TONYD3

« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
My point is simple. You need big east players and big east bodies to compete. Mussini is going to look great tomorrow. He is skilled and a very good basketball player. After that he is a 6'1 spot up shooter. The German and Amar won't be able guard anyone after tomorrow. I really like Owens, but he isn't 200 pounds and he gets in foul trouble. No coach is going to change any of that. Williams has been terrible. Hoping he can help.