Sima Transferring

• 156 replies
Re: Sima Transferring
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »
It isn't a good thing, in my view.  But it is a reality of D-I basketball.  The good programs find replacements and move forward.  It happens to almost everyone at this point.

Paultz brought up a great comparison on the other board:  Pascal Ochukwu, formerly of Providence, now at Cuse.  Cooley recruited his a** off for a few years to land that kid.  Providence was having a good year when he transferred, and he was getting PT, with a definite role moving forward (perhaps even more defined than what Sima's future may have looked like here going forward).  Went to Cuse and apparently he doesn't play much (haven't watched them this year). 

Point is this stuff happens.  When it happens with a seemingly good kid like Sima, who some of us on the board (like me and Baldi) thought would be a real contributor, it sucks.  But I don't think it is necessarily indicative of a broader problem and, unlike the last staff, I think this one will find an able replacement.

hnk

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
It's how we got Clarke and Simon!

Johnny23

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
I'm not sure how it's ever a good thing, especially at a school with St. John's recent struggles, to lose a 6'11 big man that isn't a total stiff, but such is life..   Wish him well, seemed like a good kid.

He played like a total stiff this year. Not a big loss in the grand scheme. The program moves on.

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
IMO, losing Sima is a loss for the program.  Yes, he has not played well, and looks as though that is more on him, but at the end of the day, never want to lose a player who is an integral part of the team during the season.  I don't think either AA or Williams will give us what he can over the course of the season, and do believe Sima would help us win games as the season went on. 

Really no way to tell how this will affect us, if at all over the next few years, but right now this is a loss and IMO, a big one for this season.

redslope

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »
Maybe sitting out a year will be better to help him develop.  You can see the difference in him and Owens.  To Owens basketball comes naturally because of the number of years he has played "organized" ball.  Sima is relatively new to BBall and does not move naturally but has to think before moving.

With the offense we play and the ball movement Chris wants, he just not fit in at this stage.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
Maybe sitting out a year will be better to help him develop.  You can see the difference in him and Owens.  To Owens basketball comes naturally because of the number of years he has played "organized" ball.  Sima is relatively new to BBall and does not move naturally but has to think before moving.

With the offense we play and the ball movement Chris wants, he just not fit in at this stage.

I think that's spot on. It's been pretty easy to see that the game is fast for Sima. Our offense and the defense is also too much for him as well. However, he's improved his free throw shooting. So, that's something

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »
Maybe sitting out a year will be better to help him develop. 

Yea but if he plays out the year and then transfer he would get the whole year of training and get a full more two years after playing all of this year. Instead hes going to sit for the rest of the year, sit the first half of next, and then only have 1.5 seasons left.  By transferring out mid season you nearly lose a full year of playing eligibility.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
This is great news. Sima is not a good basketball player and has zero toughness. It just goes to show how pathetic last season was that people had high hopes for Sima since he was forced to play a ton of minutes as a freshman. I don't care if he had 10 years of eligibility left he is not going to get much better. He actually has regressed and Owens is a better talent capable of more things with an expanded role. Sima might of been a nice kid but nice guys finish last in the Big East. I would like to see Mullin and staff turn this open scholarship into something positive. Besides Ponds their recruiting has been underwhelming.

Poison

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2016, 10:49:15 PM »
This is great news. Sima is not a good basketball player and has zero toughness. It just goes to show how pathetic last season was that people had high hopes for Sima since he was forced to play a ton of minutes as a freshman. I don't care if he had 10 years of eligibility left he is not going to get much better. He actually has regressed and Owens is a better talent capable of more things with an expanded role. Sima might of been a nice kid but nice guys finish last in the Big East. I would like to see Mullin and staff turn this open scholarship into something positive. Besides Ponds their recruiting has been underwhelming.

This is not great news. We are going to play the BE season w out a center. Great news is Sima getting his shit together and starting to play like someone who cares instead of someone who quits.

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2016, 11:04:34 PM »
What are the odds Marillac calls it addition by subtraction?

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »
I think anyone who thinks the team is better with Sima is reaching. Perhaps the team will have better cohesion in practice and locker room without a disgruntled malcontent player but Sima would have been key in some games.

From what I know Sima has been upset with role and wasn't doing anything outside of complaining about it. I don't think it was encouraging that Zach Brown is on the way and Owens has been earning more time.

I think the silver lining in this is that the rotation shortens and small ball becomes more obvious. Reminds me of when Lavin lost a few guys and basically only had 7 guys to play and he couldn't screw that up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
Definitely hurts...his shot had come a long way.  Frustrating to see kids cut and run at first sign of adversity.   We will definitely miss him during Big East schedule.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

cjfish

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »
his shot and offensive capability in general did not improve at all.   Only his FT improved, immensely, which was significant only if he had offensive tools to get to the line.  Remember, he received upperclassman minutes till recently and did nothing to improve, in fact regressed.  Players need minutes, he got them and did little with them.  I would not give upon him yet but he saw the writing on the wall.  Transferring is best for all parties.

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »
He improved in all areas.  Not in leaps and bounds but he improved.  Biggest thing was his motor and that He struggled fitting into our offense which is probably related.  Him leaving isnt best for all parties.  7 footers with his mobility dont grow on trees.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
He improved in all areas.  Not in leaps and bounds but he improved.  Biggest thing was his motor and that He struggled fitting into our offense which is probably related.  Him leaving isnt best for all parties.  7 footers with his mobility dont grow on trees.

+100
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
Transfers hurt continuity. Sima has looked lost and sluggish. Owens if he can stay out of foul trouble is a better player. With that said, we are going to be short handed the rest of the season.   

TONYD3

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
Transfers hurt continuity. Sima has looked lost and sluggish. Owens if he can stay out of foul trouble is a better player. With that said, we are going to be short handed the rest of the season.   
This is a bad rule. Kids should be allowed to transfer. But at the end of the season.

sju89tr

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
This is a bad rule. Kids should be allowed to transfer. But at the end of the season.

I agree with you 100%

Poison

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »

What mobility are you talking about? He was about as mobile as Mohammed Diakite. I think some fans have vastly overrated his ability. He is nowhere near as good as Obekpa or even God's Gift.

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
It certainly doesn't help us this season.  The extra ship can really help us a lot though if it's used right entering next season.  We need a PF/C type than can actually score on the blocks and and now we can try to find one.