Creighton

• 405 replies
Re: Creighton
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »
Creighton beat us 80 to 70 in NY last December and then at the end of the season drubbed us in Omaha, 100 - 59, a game in which CM was ejected.  Creighton ran up the score on us long after the outcome of that game was decided, pushing to get to the century mark.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some bad blood tomw night in Queens.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
Watson, Foster and Patton will outplay LoVett, Ponds and Owens/Williams.  Our only shot is if Ahmed has a great game.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Watson, Foster and Patton will outplay LoVett, Ponds and Owens/Williams.  Our only shot is if Ahmed has a great game.

I don't think you can ever say that so absolutely about our trio.

cjfish

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Front line is a problem, Patton is tough.....our guards will outplay theirs

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
getting into a shootout with them is a bad idea.

Yeah, maybe, with many of Louie-coached team's.  But, this particular group is certainly capable of playing in a "shootout."  My main issue is Patton.  I'd double him, and quickly get back out on the perimeter guys.  Don't allow him to get comfortable.  Make sure a body is on him at all times, so he won't "junk basket" us to death.

I also don't know how that can be said with so much absoluteness, either.  If he'd said, Creighton's frontcourt would outplay ours, then I'd more than likely be in agreement.  But, whenever one includes Ponds and LoVett, then that's a different ballgame altogether.  Saying anyone is gonna outplay those two or "our trio" is truly kneejerking.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:00:03 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
People going to get carried away again. We are fun to watch again. Figure we win 4 more games. My fear is that if we start to lose again players will get frustrated and not put in the effort. That will be the coaching staff's biggest test. As long as we are competitive, I like the direction. Hopefully Lovett stays and Simon and Clark help as much as I think they will.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
They might score 120 on our defense.  Hopefully we come to play a full 40 minutes
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Johnny23

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
This is a game where our I expect our lack of size to hurt us.

Their frontcourt has a significant size advantage, Foster is a physical coring guard and Watson is legit.

redslope

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
They might score 120 on our defense.  Hopefully we come to play a full 40 minutes

Scary but true--over 100 a number of times; shooting 54% from field; averaging 88ppg and Patton shooting insane 74%.  OMG!

cjfish

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
We have 10 fouls between Amar and WIlliams, got to use them inside against Patton and try to provoke him into something stupid.  I like the subtle knuckle in the back trick or stepping on the heal.  (WHoops, I think this style is dating myself) ;)

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
We have 10 fouls between Amar and WIlliams, got to use them inside against Patton and try to provoke him into something stupid.  I like the subtle knuckle in the back trick or stepping on the heal.  (WHoops, I think this style is dating myself) ;)

Ha both good tactics. I'd still opt for the not so subtle Robert Parish clothesline takedown.

Wods317

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
This will be a tough game for us I think. The obvious is that creighton is one of best offensive teams in the country and our defense has been been poor at times. We tend to give up a lot of open threes and Creighton buries those with one of the best 3pt % in the country. We are going to have to bring intensity on defense and shoot the ball very well from 3 to have a chance here. I think even more then Nova this might be the worst matchup for us on paper at least.

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
getting into a shootout with them is a bad idea.

Yeah, maybe, with many of Louie-coached team's.  But, this particular group is certainly capable of playing in a "shootout."  My main issue is Patton.  I'd double him, and quickly get back out on the perimeter guys.  Don't allow him to get comfortable.  Make sure a body is on him at all times, so he won't "junk basket" us to death.

I also don't know how that can be said with so much absoluteness, either.  If he'd said, Creighton's frontcourt would outplay ours, then I'd more than likely be in agreement.  But, whenever one includes Ponds and LoVett, then that's a different ballgame altogether.  Saying anyone is gonna outplay those two or "our trio" is truly kneejerking.
I hope I'm wrong, but a senior, junior and a 7' 250 pound freshman may be too much for our two freshman and 190 pound center. Once again I just hope for a competitive game.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.

redslope

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.
Nova controlled the glass with the guards doing most of the rebounding and the guys up front boxing out.

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »

Lol what? He's definitely big enough to bully Owens and skilled enough too. Patton is by far the best big we've played. Nick Ward  (also a Frosh) was one point shy of a double/double against us in 12 minutes and Patton is better than Ward. Mike Watkins of Penn State (Another Frosh)  went for 15 and 13 against us and Patton is bigger and better than him too.

Outside of Lovett vs Watson and Ellison vs Foster we don't have a size advantage anywhere else. Khyri Thomas is bigger than Ponds and Ahmed vs Huff is a push in terms of size.

cjfish

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »

Ha both good tactics. I'd still opt for the not so subtle Robert Parish clothesline takedown.

Cant do that anymore, can be dirty only subtly. 

Unlike many of you I think penetration by our guards will be the key, try to get their front line to foul a bit a get to the line early.  I believe they will overplay the 3 and give us this opportunity.

Johnny23

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

Unlike many of you I think penetration by our guards will be the key, try to get their front line to foul a bit a get to the line early.  I believe they will overplay the 3 and give us this opportunity.

Sure you can if your name is Amar, he's expendable. Whatever it takes to neutralize Patton :)

Regarding the game plan, Mullin needs to have our guards drive a lot and break down their D which may be tough if they go zone and force us to beat them from deep.

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

RS Freshman and Patton is pro. He could be a big problem.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »

Sure you can if your name is Amar, he's expendable. Whatever it takes to neutralize Patton :)

Regarding the game plan, Mullin needs to have our guards drive a lot and break down their D which may be tough if they go zone and force us to beat them from deep.
I welcome a zone. Not expecting it. How good is Patton?