Providence Game Thread

• 203 replies

Marillac

Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2017, 01:05:03 AM »
Played improved if not great defense.

This is a thread about the St. John's Providence game. Who did you watch play?

Poison

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »

He's not the only one who thought our defense was good.

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:17 AM »
Ahmed thought Mullin told him to foul with a one point lead. That foul was his 5th foul.
Anyone else concerned that Mullin's communication skills need significant improvement?

Thankfully, this is a non story, but imagine if we had lost this game?

Could just be a fluke thing. Like that Ahmed is listening to Mullin but obviously Mullin wasn't telling him to foul and Ahmed should know score and situation at that point, digest what he thought he was hearing, realize it didn't make sense and play

My guess is Mullin might have been asking the ref or exclaiming that the previous SJU bucket should have been a foul and-1. No way was he telling Ahmed to foul.

An almost brutal miscommunication but I lean towards Ahmed having to know the game situation, why would you foul there just play.

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2017, 02:15:42 AM »
I know many folks believe that our offense too often resembles an AAU game with one-on-one action.  And I agree it definitely is that at times.   

But then there are also more basketball savvy posters that do not complain about the offense whatsoever.  Fittingly I would say as we just put up 91 in a Big East road game.  Other stellar output totals for us this season have been 100, 86, 95, 90, 93, 79 and 82. 

The offense has been a revelation thus far. Simply not our problem.

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2017, 02:25:01 AM »
Question for refs.

When we got the jump ball after the ball got stuck between rim and board, the shot-clock was at 12, and was reset to a full 30.

In last minute, when Owens made great block to force jump, there was 2 seconds left on the shot-clock and it was not reset.

Not complaining of course. Maybe under a minute it doesnt reset.

In the first case the shot clock reset because the shot hit the rim ( you say it got stuck between the rim and back board ).

In the second case the shot clock is not reset as per the rule for a simple tie up.  Last minute of play has no bearing on it.

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
- I find it gratifying to win games at the free throw stripe. LP have been amazing from there (pretty much amazing from everywhere on the court offensively) all year and even Bash who's struggled previously gets into the act at 3 for 3.  90% as a team.

- Tremendous use of all his timeouts in the second half with oodles of time left to successfully tourniquet the bleeding.  Ata boy coach!

- Our defense s*cks.  86 points is ridiculous. We gotta do something.

- 2 BE road wins at the mid-point.  Not too shabby.

- Live by the three.....Live by the three!  48% on the day.  You sure this is a St. John's team?

- My favorite sequence was right before half-time when Lovett fouls Pc on purpose putting them on the line just so he could get the ball back again for the last second shot.  Ponds held up his hands asking for the ball but there was no way Marcus was giving it up then he nails the acrobatic falling down 30 ft. last second chuck for three.  Onions!!!

Foad

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2017, 06:31:11 AM »
Think about tit.

Breast advice I've heard in years.

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2017, 07:27:54 AM »
Question for refs.

When we got the jump ball after the ball got stuck between rim and board, the shot-clock was at 12, and was reset to a full 30.

In last minute, when Owens made great block to force jump, there was 2 seconds left on the shot-clock and it was not reset.

Difference being Williams shot hit the rim. Think about tit.

Always thinking about tits Dave, always
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »
Question for refs.

It reset for us because the shot hit the rim. The shot never hit the rim for them so it's not supposed to reset. That rule is the same regardless of the time

Yes, duh, thanks!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

Not getting back after scores & stopping ball v quick breaking teams remain a problem. Can't afford to give up a lot of easy baskets. Can't make that up too often.

TONYD3

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

Defense was good at times. Really awful at times.

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
All in all a very gratifying win.  At the end...onions.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
- I find it gratifying to win games at the free throw stripe. LP have been amazing from there (pretty much amazing from everywhere on the court offensively) all year and even Bash who's struggled previously gets into the act at 3 for 3.  90% as a team.

- Tremendous use of all his timeouts in the second half with oodles of time left to successfully tourniquet the bleeding.  Ata boy coach!

- Our defense s*cks.  86 points is ridiculous. We gotta do something.

- 2 BE road wins at the mid-point.  Not too shabby.

- Live by the three.....Live by the three!  48% on the day.  You sure this is a St. John's team?

- My favorite sequence was right before half-time when Lovett fouls Pc on purpose putting them on the line just so he could get the ball back again for the last second shot.  Ponds held up his hands asking for the ball but there was no way Marcus was giving it up then he nails the acrobatic falling down 30 ft. last second chuck for three.  Onions!!!

It is very strange to see a St.John's team that can shoot, but doesn't bother to play defense.

Foad

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »

cjfish

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
Ahmed thought Mullin told him to foul with a one point lead. That foul was his 5th foul.
Anyone else concerned that Mullin's communication skills need significant improvement?

Thankfully, this is a non story, but imagine if we had lost this game?

Could just be a fluke thing. Like that Ahmed is listening to Mullin but obviously Mullin wasn't telling him to foul and Ahmed should know score and situation at that point, digest what he thought he was hearing, realize it didn't make sense and play

My guess is Mullin might have been asking the ref or exclaiming that the previous SJU bucket should have been a foul and-1. No way was he telling Ahmed to foul.

An almost brutal miscommunication but I lean towards Ahmed having to know the game situation, why would you foul there just play.

too much screaming from the bench....easy to mishear......no foul becomes foul if no is not said with force and everyone else on the bench is screaming.  Bottom line, Ahmed has to know what is going on.

Out backcourt creates problems for everyone, so quick that the occasional postup mismatch is an afterthought.  Starting to look like we may get to 7 or 8 wins which would b e great.    DDDD is still a major problem.  Nice win but defensively the game was hard to watch.

Marillac

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Well, that's just insane. This was collectively one of the worst defensive games I've ever seen. Neither team could even slow down the ball, let alone stop it. 3/4 possessions seemed to have a player going full steam into the lane whether it was Lovett, Cartwright, Ponds, Ahmed, Bullock, or Ellison. You'll never see more and 1 fouls than last night. There were wide open threes all night for both sides (nobody within 20 feet of Lindsay on three of his attempts) and neither team got back well on defense--we were awful in this category, but Providence lacked the second ball-handler to capitalize.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:09:47 AM by Marillac »

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

Well, that's just insane. This was collectively one of the worst defensive games I've ever seen. Neither team could even slow down the ball, let alone stop it. 3/4 possessions seemed to have a player going full steam into the lane whether it was Lovett, Cartwright, Ponds, Ahmed, Bullock, or Ellison. You'll never see more and 1 fouls than last night. There were wide open threes all night for both sides (nobody within 20 feet of Lindsay on three of his attempts) and neither team got back well on defense--we were awful in this category, but Providence lacked the second ball-handler to capitalize.
Agree

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
  A Very Nice Win on the Road! Beating PC at home is a difficult task for any team, and we did.

thought we matched up well vs Friars, as they don't have that overpowering frontcourt Player. Ponds and Lovett shared the ball pretty well , better than the last few games and, both had super games.

We can compete with many of the BE teams , if they don't have that overwhelming inside game.

Mullin coached a good game.   Ponds AND Lovett look like Smurfs compared to nearly all the other guards in the BE but, they have that quickness and Killer Jumper that overcome their  small stature. Cartwright and Diallo looked like giants standing next to our guys.

Ellison has some great moments too. A nice contribution from Owens, Williams, Ahmed as well.

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Agree totally that defense was horrid most of the game; however, it was, exclusively, the  three defensive plays in the last minute + that won the game for us.  Even erasing the fact that we won, it was the most exciting  12 minutes of basketball I have seen in a StJ game in at least  10 years. Reminded me of the best game I ever attended, UConn/ Maryland NCAA tourney (2003?)  with all the lead changes and ties. In that game, like last night,it seemed that whoever had the ball  took the lead only to give it up on the next play.  Best show of the year redmen.

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
  Agree, Oldfan. Another Classic, although not involving our Johnnies, was that 6 OT game with Syracuse and UCONN in the BE tourney back in 2009.

I wonder if Syracuse ,UCONN, Pitt, BC, ND, all might like a new Vote on staying in the BE for Basketball..  I exclude L'ville, Cinn, WVA, USF,Miami, as they are probably happier in their new  Venues. Rutgers?  Big 10 was a bad move for them. They will be like the Cubs waiting for 100 Years to win.