Marquette Game Thread

• 133 replies
Re: Marquette Game Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:41 PM »
Yakwe's mid range game is horrendous. He misses so badly
Was sitting in the corner on St J side in second half when Yakwe took a wide open eight footer and missed by six feet. That said I was thrilled with his effort and game tonite.

redslope

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
Numbers:

This was our 7th best defensive performance this season in terms of efficiency. It was the best defensive performance of all conference games including the 2 DePaul games.

It was our 6th best offensive performance of the season. 2nd best conference game behind the Providence win.

It was tied for our 2nd best game percentagewise defending 2 pointers at 33.3%.

It was our 5th best offensive rebounding game of the season.

It was the 3rd best defensive game any team has played against Marquette this season. The two teams to play better D against them this year were Michigan and SHU

It was the 5th best offensive game any team has played against Marquette this season. The 4 teams to play better O against them this year were Villanova, Butler, Wisconsin and Creighton.

We forced more TOs per possession against Marquette than any other team has against them this season.
good assessment; if you took away the rebounding in the X game, there were many similarities.

Thought team played with great patience against the zone and looked to attack rather than just shooting long 3's.

Great to see John McEnroe put on Mullin Jersey.

Also liked how Chris got an extra Time out.

Marillac

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2017, 11:47:11 PM »
A ton of easy buckets tonight. For some reason, that hasn't been the case the last year and 2/3's. Tonight was how I expected this team to look all year in transition.

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:10 PM »
Nice to break that 8 game MSG losing streak.

MCNPA

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2017, 12:00:51 AM »
I'll say and their thing.  Despite being young, when we are clicking, our offense is probably the most exciting SJU has ever had.  It certainly has to do with the kids on our roster, but the style is one where I can imagine any kid would want to play.  Kids have the green light, and we are always moving.  Lots of fun.

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2017, 01:19:43 AM »
Giving up only 72 is reasonable. With our firepower on one end - hitting ft's and threes and keeping our opponents score in the 70's could be a winning formula.

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »
5 B.E.'s wins this year compared  to 1 last, and still 7 games to go. Should get 7-8B.E. wins this year.

Next year you'd gotta think we'll continue to improve from this year.  It's gonna be interesting.

This hope for this year is the win the B.E. tourny, or we won't even make the NIT.

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2017, 03:00:57 AM »
If we play like this we can win the Big East tournament

Peaks and valleys fella...try to avoid them. Unreasonable expectations like this lead to transfer and coaching rumor posts out of you!  8-10 and a Big East tournament win would be an incredible achievement to set the stage for the future.

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »

Peaks and valleys fella...try to avoid them. Unreasonable expectations like this lead to transfer and coaching rumor posts out of you!  8-10 and a Big East tournament win would be an incredible achievement to set the stage for the future.

Besides Nova, who can't we beat at MSG if the same effort is given? With all the injuries, no one else scares me. I think Marquette is the top 2-3 teams right now in BE and we just manhandled them
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:59:27 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »

Besides Nova, who can't we beat at MSG if the same effort is given? With all the injuries, no one else scares me. I think Marquette is the top 2-3 teams right now in BE and we just manhandled them

This is plausible.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Both a BET title run and a first round loss are plausible with this time.  We are nowhere near consistent.  Let's hope to see more games like last night than not the rest of the way and hope we have an MSG advantage for the tourney which has usually not been an advantage at all in recent tourneys.
"I drink and I know things"

Wods317

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »
Both a BET title run and a first round loss are plausible with this time.  We are nowhere near consistent.  Let's hope to see more games like last night than not the rest of the way and hope we have an MSG advantage for the tourney which has usually not been an advantage at all in recent tourneys.

100% accurate. I would be surprised if we wont obviously but it wouldn't be that shocking because our upside is high. As someone said with all the injuries to the top teams this tournament will be on of the most interesting as any team outside of DePaul has a chance. That being said we lose first round I would not be shocked either.

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
Not sure if there is a positive correlation but St. Jean was working Yakwe extremely hard about an hour before the game all on offense post moves, put backs and jumpers.

paultzman

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »

Wisdom

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
Yakwe's mid range game is horrendous. He misses so badly
Was sitting in the corner on St J side in second half when Yakwe took a wide open eight footer and missed by six feet. That said I was thrilled with his effort and game tonite.
Don't expect consistency from him yet.  Maybe he'll have another good game or two this season.

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
After Nova, I think we match up terribly with Gtown and The Hall. We have no answer for their size and there is little you can do to scheme around that.

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Plus a zillion. Enjoy the win and take it a game at a time.

Wisdom

Johnny23

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
Tariq Owens has the makings of an above average to really good player. The more I watch this guy. If he adds 10-15 lbs in the offseason and we get another banger on this roster then he can be really good the next 2 seasons.