18-19 Season

• 256 replies

TONYD3

Re: 18-19 Season
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
I have a natural affinity for them that can stroke the three.  I like hammer time and look forward to a huge season for him.

First half of last year Marvin wasn’t so different than Avery Patterson. He was either shooting a three or running up and down the court with the bee hive. Since we now know that he can rebound, it comes down to just what kind of player he wants to be from now on. The NBA has guys at 6’11 who can shoot it as well as Marvin. I hope that his goal is to be a more complete player, and if he becomes one, who knows, he could make the league.
A big part of him playing like that has to be coaching. He shouldn’t have been allowed to play so soft. He got better as the season went on. (The staff should get some credit).
Many of you guys are happy with position less basketball. I am not, players need roles. Good shots for some are not good shots for everyone. This team needs to tighten up, or same shit will keep happening.

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

QuanMan

« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
I have a natural affinity for them that can stroke the three.  I like hammer time and look forward to a huge season for him.

First half of last year Marvin wasn’t so different than Avery Patterson. He was either shooting a three or running up and down the court with the bee hive. Since we now know that he can rebound, it comes down to just what kind of player he wants to be from now on. The NBA has guys at 6’11 who can shoot it as well as Marvin. I hope that his goal is to be a more complete player, and if he becomes one, who knows, he could make the league.
A big part of him playing like that has to be coaching. He shouldn’t have been allowed to play so soft. He got better as the season went on. (The staff should get some credit).
Many of you guys are happy with position less basketball. I am not, players need roles. Good shots for some are not good shots for everyone. This team needs to tighten up, or same shit will keep happening.

If positionless basketball worked we’d all be fine with it. Maybe it will work now that we have a full roster of players.

I would have preferred one that was more balanced, but overall if everyone is eligible and healthy guys like Clark won’t have to do more than they already are.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:50:42 PM by Poison »

« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »

Poison

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2018, 06:29:49 PM »

QuanMan

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mS1va_jGP8&feature=youtu.be

Everyone stay sleeping on Bryan, he's coming for those minutes. People forget his performance in Milwaukee last year, a snippet of whats to come, my mans is in tip top shape and ready to compete.
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
If Heron is eligible Trimble is not that important to us this year. If he’s not eligible , he could be a wild card. A productive Trimble would help a lot.

« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
If Heron is eligible Trimble is not that important to us this year. If he’s not eligible , he could be a wild card. A productive Trimble would help a lot.

We could definitely use a sniper, or if nothing else someone that will occupy a defender on the perimeter.

Clark seems like a key guy to take this team from a good season to a great season. He has all the physical tools.

QuanMan

« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
I hope Trimble earns a role. But he isn’t max hooper. If he wants to play I hope he can do more then jack up shots for the outside.

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
I hope Trimble earns a role. But he isn’t max hooper. If he wants to play I hope he can do more then jack up shots for the outside.

If his shot consistency and defense improve even slightly then he will be a great option off the bench. He’s extremely strong with the ball and never turns it over.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »

If his shot consistency and defense improve even slightly then he will be a great option off the bench. He’s extremely strong with the ball and never turns it over.
Not sure if you go to games or watch on tv. If you go, watch him. Last year he lost his guy a lot. He needs to get better at that or he can’t play. (Ahmed improved greatly in team defense last year). On the ball trimble was ok, he will be better if gets in better shape.

Shot selection, coach shouldn’t have given him such a green light. (Major issue I have with the staff). He needs to do more on offense instead of just stand there and chuck.

Poison

« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
I thought Trimble did a good job of boxing out for boards. I don’t know the stats, I just remember noticing that he was the only one boxing out. Unfortunately, he wasn’t ready to be a BE on the ball defender. He wasn’t moving his feet on defense. Hopefully, he’s learned how to defend.

That said, he shot it way too much last year. Plus, he didn’t take it to the rack very often so he was predictable.

Videos show that he’s working on it. That’s a good sign.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:29:35 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
Marvin doesn't have it in him. Maybe under a guy like Izzo constantly keeping the fire lit under his ass but not under this staff. It's very hard to consistently transition from being a flat-footed spot-up shooter to being a force on the glass. Guys who stay in motion have a huge advantage. It's basketball's inertia.

IDK about a force on the glass, but he was 23rd in the conference for the year at 4.7 and averaged more than 6 pg over his last 12 games as opposed to 3.5 over his first 21. An average of 6 would put him in the top 10 in the league. I certainly had the impression that he was making more of an effort in that regard during the second half of the season and also in trying to get to the basket more. I expect him to have a very nice senior year.

I feel like Marvin has the ability to take over the glass. He has a Wideman type body with a SF's athleticism, so those rebounding #s are disappointing to me especially considering the teammates he competes with for those boards.

Kids today are so obsessed with being the next Durant but how do they not see what guys like Draymond Green and PJ Tucker are doing at 6'5 with the mindset to defend, rebound, and be aggressive? The NBA is softer than ever today, opening the door to guys that want to do the dirty work to have jobs for several years. 

Clark can have a bigger impact if he grabs 8 boards a game than if he  scores 20 pts IMO. And of course they aren't mutually exclusive.

QuanMan

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
"Mikey Microwave" highlights below. Get ready for immediate scoring, pop off the bench to spell Shamorie. Remember where you heard the nickname first lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=upFyVajqGi0
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
Couple of Johnnies previews in the Twittersphere today:

Take this fwiw, author thinks the campus is in the BX, labels Greg as Eric Williams Jr.:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/big-east-basketball-preview-2019

Podcast:

https://bigeastbasketballbreakdown.com/2018/09/05/episode-one-red-storm-breakdown-mens-basketball/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:03:03 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »
"Mikey Microwave" highlights below. Get ready for immediate scoring, pop off the bench to spell Shamorie. Remember where you heard the nickname first lol:

I'm hopeful Dixon can be an immediate impact transfer but I'm not going to get fired up over a highlight video of a guy shooting jumpers in an empty gym.

Poison

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »

I'm hopeful Dixon can be an immediate impact transfer but I'm not going to get fired up over a highlight video of a guy shooting jumpers in an empty gym.

I think the videos are just to remind people that the guys are working on their games. We know that Dixon will at least be decent. In Jan/Feb we’ll find out if he can play in the BE. I actually expect that he can.