Tourney Talk

• 296 replies

paultzman

Re: Tourney Talk
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »

« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Between Loyola and Michigan there are only two 4 star players.  It can be done if guys stick around and have some good coaching.

Johnny23

« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
Wagner was a man amongst boys.

« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
This big Krutwig can play

Loving the white boy again.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »

Ya. Didn't know Townes was white

« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2018, 09:37:46 PM »
Bill Self gonna make some adjustments or what?

« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »

Yeah he can and only a freshman.

Old school low post moves
Reminds me of Johnny Red Kerr (or our very own Marco Baldi but with talent).

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »

Didn't know there was a rule you could only love black boys.

« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2018, 10:53:05 PM »

He would never do that.
Fire Mullin.

Rodman

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:32 AM »

Yeah he can and only a freshman.

Old school low post moves
Reminds me of Johnny Red Kerr (or our very own Marco Baldi but with talent).

Or Billy Singleton
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:07:15 AM by Rodman »

Rodman

« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2018, 03:09:03 AM »
Happy for him.

Class personified, bad rap around here, tireless worker, recruited great kids, should've been granted 2010-2011 season.

Loved Norm.  Great guy and excellent recruiter.  That said, he was still a terrible head coach.  I’d love him recruiting for any day.  Would take him as AHC any day.

Yeah, if he 's good enough for Kansas

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »

He would never do that.

Sounds like you're a huge fan of black boys. Whatever floats your boat
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:06:02 AM by Marco Baldi »

TONYD3

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
Between Loyola and Michigan there are only two 4 star players.  It can be done if guys stick around and have some good coaching.
Loyola was fun to watch. Defense was great.

Marillac

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
This junior Nova class has to go down as one of the best in the history of the Big east. I think they could have won it all last year with Spellman too. Wright is an amazing coach, but I don't think he'll ever have a run like the last three years again.

Johnny23

« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
This junior Nova class has to go down as one of the best in the history of the Big east. I think they could have won it all last year with Spellman too. Wright is an amazing coach, but I don't think he'll ever have a run like the last three years again.

An amazing run no doubt but I don't see any reason why he can't continue it. He'll reload with top recruits, their system is elite and his players all buy in so I can see this being sustainable for many years.

paultzman

« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Quinerly next in s long line of talented guards at Nova. Very impressive player.

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
No reason to doubt that this is sustainable and/or can have a similar stretch like this again for Nova.

One thing that really hit me this tournament (finally) is that rankings for recruits really don't matter at all. There's a clear very very elite top tier of talent, but after that, the rankings are all arbitrary and based on different things. The programs that win are the programs that recruit players that fit and buy into their system. You can consistently win with 3 star recruits and 2nd round draft picks, as long as they buy in and fit.

That said, I'm not sure we have a system.

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
I was reading an article today somewhere where another coach ( maybe self ) said that Wright's system has basically reinvented college basketball and forced others to adapt. I cant think of a better compliment in the world for a coach to say that about another coach

TONYD3

« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »
Players like deangelo Harrison and Brunson should be the goal. Guys with plenty of talent. But maybe a little short, or slow. 4 year studs.

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
No reason to doubt that this is sustainable and/or can have a similar stretch like this again for Nova.

One thing that really hit me this tournament (finally) is that rankings for recruits really don't matter at all. There's a clear very very elite top tier of talent, but after that, the rankings are all arbitrary and based on different things. The programs that win are the programs that recruit players that fit and buy into their system. You can consistently win with 3 star recruits and 2nd round draft picks, as long as they buy in and fit.

That said, I'm not sure we have a system.

IMO, the parity came along when most of the high-major teams started consistently losing players to early entry (mainly, teams losing kids after their freshmen and sophomore years).  Then, you have mid-major squads who have a ton of a experience with juniors and seniors (maybe, a player or two who have even transferred from a high-major).

You also have many of these kids who have played with or against one another on the AAU circuit for a couple years or more, so there's familiarity of who they're playing against.  So, you have the landscape that you see now.

Typically, at the end of the day, the team's with the most or best talent will rise to the top.  Villanova has their share of talent, and they're also experienced.  Only one team (2001-2002 Maryland Terrapins) has won a national championship without a McDonald's All-American since the origination of the game.  Don't get it twisted, as that Maryland team had a ton of talent and was also experienced.