Tourney Talk

• 296 replies
Re: Tourney Talk
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Anyone who kills Trimble should look at Divincenzo’s  numbers in his 8 games as a true freshman.

That's crazy talk. Trimble is nowhere near the athlete Divincenzo is.
As a freshman, 28% from the field, 17% from 3, 1.9 points per game. We would all be hoping he would transfer with those numbers.

Wait...are you serious? Do you believe Trimble is as good as Divincenzo because their stats were similar as freshmen? This is what I mean when I say delusional fan base. Stats aside, if you look at their athleticism and overall skill set, they are not in the same class.
Trimble is a better athlete. DD is bigger and much more skilled. Trimble's vertical and dunking ability are absurd even if he didn't have the skill (handle) to show it.  Given a choice between the two, I'd obviously take DD. Comparing DD to Ponds is just silly. DD is never double-teamed. He can't be marked as a shooter because everyone can shoot on Nova. That role he plays for them is always dangerous. Booth scored 20 in the national championship game and Gillespie went off in it as  well. I think Gillespie is being grossly undervalued by some of posters infatuated with DD. The kid plays much better on-ball defense, he's quick, can handle and shoot, and his confidence is so high already as a freshman that it borders on arrogance.

I respect skill so I'd take DD on St. John's above everyone but Ponds.

You have gone way off the rails my friend.

Foad

« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »
Has nobody realized that Baldi's entire shtick is to be the Skip Bayless of this board? He says either completely stupid stuff that he probably doesn't actually believe or obviously false rumors just to get a rise out of everyone and you guys bite every time. He's fairly good at it, I'll give him that.

Everybody realizes Baldi a troll. But he's our troll.

SJUFAN

« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Anyone who kills Trimble should look at Divincenzo’s  numbers in his 8 games as a true freshman.

As a freshman, 28% from the field, 17% from 3, 1.9 points per game. We would all be hoping he would transfer with those numbers.

Wait...are you serious? Do you believe Trimble is as good as Divincenzo because their stats were similar as freshmen? This is what I mean when I say delusional fan base. Stats aside, if you look at their athleticism and overall skill set, they are not in the same class.
Trimble is a better athlete. DD is bigger and much more skilled. Trimble's vertical and dunking ability are absurd even if he didn't have the skill (handle) to show it.  Given a choice between the two, I'd obviously take DD. Comparing DD to Ponds is just silly. DD is never double-teamed. He can't be marked as a shooter because everyone can shoot on Nova. That role he plays for them is always dangerous. Booth scored 20 in the national championship game and Gillespie went off in it as  well. I think Gillespie is being grossly undervalued by some of posters infatuated with DD. The kid plays much better on-ball defense, he's quick, can handle and shoot, and his confidence is so high already as a freshman that it borders on arrogance.

You believe Trimble is a better athlete than DD? Serious question...based on what? His turtle like explosiveness to get by his defender? His vertical? Come on. DD isn't getting the respect, he is much more athletic than people realize. Are you aware that DD has the 2nd highest vertical on his team? Did you see the block he had on that dunk last night? He is just a sophomore, he may very well be a Pro. Trimble appears to be overwhelmed at this level, he can't guard anyone.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:49:25 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »

You believe Trimble is a better athlete than DD? Serious question...based on what? His turtle like explosiveness to get by his defender? His vertical? Come on. DD isn't getting the respect, he is much more athletic than people realize. Are you aware that DD has the 2nd highest vertical on his team? Did you see the block he had on that dunk last night? He is just a sophomore, he may very well be a Pro. Trimble appears to be overwhelmed at this level, he can't guard anyone.

Marillac has gone bye bye. 

« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
Hate to pile on but it may be time for a medication adjustment my dear friend Marillac.  :angel:

« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Agreed on their athleticism.  But I do think they've had more shot-makers the last few years than in the past.  This team and the prior championship team had 4 or 5 guys on the floor at a given time that could knock down 3's on the regular.

Nova has great talent, but what has made Jay's teams so tough recently is that they have 5 or 6 guys who can make shots.  It's easy to play unselfish when one guy doesn't feel the need to do it all.  Donte played hideous in the West Virginia game - he was a deer in headlights who looked scared to bring the ball up the floor.  But when you have Brunson, Bridges, Booth, Spellman and Paschall you can survive games when a player or two isn't up to par.

They always have guys who can make shots. What sets this team apart from his other teams is the athletic ability at all three levels with Brunson, Bridges, and Spellman. One of the hardest things to do is to get a kid like Brunson:  Skilled as hell, athletic, but not so athletic to leave after a year or two.

Marillac

« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »

Trimble is 6'1 and fat and he still has a 45 inch vertical that allows him to do insane windmill dunks off one step in warmups. He catches and throws down alley oops with two hands with his elbows almost completely bent. DD is probably all of 6'4 and in optimal shape and doesn't get up as high as Trimble.  https://youtu.be/oLTx29Hj3Mk

He's a good athlete for a white kid. Average at best compared to black players. He is so skilled that he'd be a lottery pick if he was half as athletic as some of you make it seem.

« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »

Trimble is 6'1 and fat and he still has a 45 inch vertical that allows him to do insane windmill dunks off one step in warmups. He catches and throws down alley oops with two hands with his elbows almost completely bent. DD is probably all of 6'4 and in optimal shape and doesn't get up as high as Trimble.  https://youtu.be/oLTx29Hj3Mk

He's a good athlete for a white kid. Average at best compared to black players. He is so skilled that he'd be a lottery pick if he was half as athletic as some of you make it seem.

Marillac is broken. We need someone to fix or going to need a new one.

SJUFAN

« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Agreed on their athleticism.  But I do think they've had more shot-makers the last few years than in the past.  This team and the prior championship team had 4 or 5 guys on the floor at a given time that could knock down 3's on the regular.

Nova has great talent, but what has made Jay's teams so tough recently is that they have 5 or 6 guys who can make shots.  It's easy to play unselfish when one guy doesn't feel the need to do it all.  Donte played hideous in the West Virginia game - he was a deer in headlights who looked scared to bring the ball up the floor.  But when you have Brunson, Bridges, Booth, Spellman and Paschall you can survive games when a player or two isn't up to par.

They always have guys who can make shots. What sets this team apart from his other teams is the athletic ability at all three levels with Brunson, Bridges, and Spellman. One of the hardest things to do is to get a kid like Brunson:  Skilled as hell, athletic, but not so athletic to leave after a year or two.

A lot is said about our lack of depth, Nova plays 7-8 guys and the 8th guy doesn't count. They have zero depth on their front line. So I hope them hoisting the NCAA trophy has laid that argument to rest. They go seven deep, all of them can score, they are smart with the basketball, and their guards are tough. Spellman is only 6-8 but they don't get outrebound because he expects his guards to fight and battle for rebounds. Our forwards don't battle for rebounds. We need to recruit the right players, not any player.

QuanMan

« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
Not really noted today, but how about Nova pulling all of this off without playing in the Pavilion all season? Just adds to the story.

Nova unveiling a 60M Pavilion renovation next season opener to a BE and National Title banner ceremony, does it get better than that? 
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »

A lot is said about our lack of depth, Nova plays 7-8 guys and the 8th guy doesn't count. They have zero depth on their front line. So I hope them hoisting the NCAA trophy has laid that argument to rest. They go seven deep, all of them can score, they are smart with the basketball, and their guards are tough. Spellman is only 6-8 but they don't get outrebound because he expects his guards to fight and battle for rebounds. Our forwards don't battle for rebounds. We need to recruit the right players, not any player.

Nova has three first round talents. They CHOOSE not to play a top 50 recruit like Samuels and a top 100 recruit like Cosby-Roundtree. They also redshirtes Dylan Painter. All of those kids would start for us.

Jay Wright is the gold standard but let's not forget he went through some lean years both at the beginnings of his tenure at Hofstra and Nova as well as around 2010-11. He finished 13-19 and 5-13 in the Big East with a talented but young team. He won "just" 20 games the year before. As good as he is, even he couldn't win without the right combination of talent and experience and he had two decades of coaching experience.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:54:38 PM by Marillac »

Foad

« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »
Not really noted today, but how about Nova pulling all of this off without playing in the Pavilion all season? Just adds to the story.

Nova unveiling a 60M Pavilion renovation next season opener to a BE and National Title banner ceremony, does it get better than that? 

Yes? I can think of 100 things better than that. Jay Wright getting hit by a bus for example.

SJUFAN

« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »

Thanks for sharing, based on that cut up I don't even think he's a Big East player. Most of his "in game" dunks show only his hand getting above the rim. The ball never gets to the top of the square, not sure how you get 45" vertical from that. I didn't see anything remarkable. Now show the cut up of him playing against D1 level talent and you will have to include the Benny Hill music in the background.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:56:02 PM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing, based on that cut up I don't even think he's a Big East player. Most of his "in game" dunks show only his hand getting above the rim. The ball never gets to the top of the square, not sure how you get 45" vertical from that. I didn't see anything remarkable. Now show the cut up of him playing against D1 level talent and you will have to include the Benny Hill music in the background.

Ask anyone who has seen Trimble in warmups or who is close to the team. He has the highest ups on the team besides Simon. He doesn't have the skill set to get to the basket to show it off and that is why he isn't half the player DD is. 

Nobody on this forum comments on how athletic Mikal Bridges is  yet we have three years and dozens of ongoing comments about how athletic DD is. Strange huh? Bridges has played himself from borderline top 100 recruit to lottery pick. But Donte blocks a shot at the rim while listed at 6'5 and with a running start and it makes people forget he can't cover an ant with a blanket. We beat Nova because he couldn't cover anyone. Not only did Ponds embarrass him multiple times when they couldn't hide him on someone else, Ahmed and Clark also had their way with him.

https://youtu.be/d8n-7qGwOx4

« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
Trimble was in much better shape in HS than he was for us this season. Got to wonder what is up with that. Our strength and conditioning program can't get kids to lose weight who need to and can't get kids to put on weight that need to. Agree with prior post that Trimble still doesn't get as high up as DD.

« Reply #275 on: April 03, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
Just saw your last post Marillac and you are asking questions about people's opinions on Donte. Here's one for you-why are you running down a kid that just scored 31 points in a championship game, a game we have reached just once in over 100 years of our illustrious history? As for commenting on his athleticism that is obvious, it stands out for a white guy because white players are stereotyped as being non athletic.

Marillac

« Reply #276 on: April 03, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
Just saw your last post Marillac and you are asking questions about people's opinions on Donte. Here's one for you-why are you running down a kid that just scored 31 points in a championship game, a game we have reached just once in over 100 years of our illustrious history? As for commenting on his athleticism that is obvious, it stands out for a white guy because white players are stereotyped as being non athletic.

The stereotype is grounded in reality. I'm not running down DD. Posters on this board stick to one pole or the other and don't allow others to be critical. I said I'd take him over anyone on our team other than Ponds. Is that running him down? He is a tremendously skilled kid that lacks the lateral quickness to effectively cover either guard position. He'll be good on offense but a poor defender. I think both Gillespie and Arcidiacano are better athletes and defender's, but he's bigger and longer so he will get more chances to impress at the rim.

Th Georgetown recruit Mac McClung is a legitimate stud athlete and a white kid,
but give me DD over him all day. Hell give me DD over Simon all day. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

Ask anyone who has seen Trimble in warmups or who is close to the team. He has the highest ups on the team besides Simon. He doesn't have the skill set to get to the basket to show it off and that is why he isn't half the player DD is. 

Nobody on this forum comments on how athletic Mikal Bridges is  yet we have three years and dozens of ongoing comments about how athletic DD is. Strange huh? Bridges has played himself from borderline top 100 recruit to lottery pick. But Donte blocks a shot at the rim while listed at 6'5 and with a running start and it makes people forget he can't cover an ant with a blanket. We beat Nova because he couldn't cover anyone. Not only did Ponds embarrass him multiple times when they couldn't hide him on someone else, Ahmed and Clark also had their way with him.

What he may or may not do during warms ups I can not speak on nor do I think really matters. What matters to me is how he performs during a game and what he has shown doesn't look like high level athlete. It's not just a matter of lack of skill or his weight, it's his lateral movement, his explosiveness, his speed. Have you ever seen him block a shot? Me neither. He doesn't even attempt to get off the floor, he just runs his body into people.

You often hear this applied to football, that some players are the best athlete on the team in shorts, but put the pads on and they are not. Strictly from a in-game observation this year, Trimble has not displayed this athleticism you speak of.     

Foad

« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
I don't even think he's a Big East player .

Trimble is just the sort of four year player that every good program has and needs to be successful. Is he better than DDV? No. Two years ago DDV wasn't better than DDV either. Two years ago Khyri Thomas was a three star recruit who averaged a point a game and shot 50 percent from the FT line. Now he's why can't we get guys like Khyri Thomas. As a freshman Trimble's already as good as stupid Phil Greene was a sophomore. If he was somewhere else in three years you'd be whining about how SJ never gets players like him.

You people are delusional. This program hasn't won anything in 50 years and you're shitting on some poor kid because he has a little baby fat.

This program is lucky anyone comes here. St John's is a joke academically, the facilities suck, Jamaica is a shit hole and you people are the worst fans in all of sports. You should be taking Trimble to White Castle to thank him for coming here.

« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
Poison doesn't think Jamaica, Queens is a shit hole he thinks everywhere else is.  ::) :)