Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2018, 11:07:46 PM »
Maybe the dad isn’t looking for shots or minutes for his son. Maybe the dad wants a PG that can play. Or acoach that is competent and will work. This family could be mad that they thought they were going to a big time program coached by hall of famers instead of a 23 year old novice. Maybe the family wants some assurance that this staff has the vaguest clue how to do their jobs.  Winning games might be important to them. As is getting a chance to play pro ball.

Fair points. I'd like to see Owens embrace his role and stick it out but what you are saying may be a factor.

And that right there is the problem. His current ‘role’ won’t get him to th NBA. he needs a PG who will feed him the rock and not take horrible 3 pointers when Tariq is  wide open under the hoop. 

Mullin needs to squash the horrible shot selection by ponds.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Tariq’s dad is just fed up with ponds  can-do-no-wrong approach. I think it was the Seton hall game where Tariq’s frustration with the horrible shot selection was most visible. Tariq was clearly not happy.

His dad, on a couple occasions or so, even mentioned those poorly, taken shots.  There may be one or two factors or several factors to Tariq leaving, but I do sense there could also be an exaggerated belief in his overall game. 

Regardless, I wish the kid the best of luck and hope things work out for him at the end of the day.

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »
Surprised he is leaving.  I'm not on Twitter but I've seen his dad's posts on this board and the other.  He is very vocal, positive and negative, about what happens during games, Tariq's play, the program generally, etc.  He posts as if he is a fan watching the game, no different than this board, with an obvious interest and bias towards his son.  It is not all negative though, not by a long shot.  He is often very complimentary of the staff and the other kids.  When Ponds was destroying Marquette, he posted something to the effect of "keep shooting it young man because you are on fire tonight".  And while it is hard to interpret meaning behind most social media posts, his Dad very recently posted a picture of Tariq with Marv, Simon, Ponds, and Trimble and said how much he loves those kids.  So who knows what this is about, ultimately.  Personally, I'm sick of the player movement and hope the kid returns.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:18 PM »
Maybe the dad isn’t looking for shots or minutes for his son. Maybe the dad wants a PG that can play. Or acoach that is competent and will work. This family could be mad that they thought they were going to a big time program coached by hall of famers instead of a 23 year old novice. Maybe the family wants some assurance that this staff has the vaguest clue how to do their jobs.  Winning games might be important to them. As is getting a chance to play pro ball.

Fair points. I'd like to see Owens embrace his role and stick it out but what you are saying may be a factor.

And that right there is the problem. His current ‘role’ won’t get him to th NBA. he needs a PG who will feed him the rock and not take horrible 3 pointers when Tariq is  wide open under the hoop. 

Mullin needs to squash the horrible shot selection by ponds.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Tariq’s dad is just fed up with ponds  can-do-no-wrong approach. I think it was the Seton hall game where Tariq’s frustration with the horrible shot selection was most visible. Tariq was clearly not happy.

Ponds spoon feeds him 4 dunks a game. He has no post moves. Zero. He also has no no feel for when to shoot a jumper. Let him go get 15 minutes at his third school. He's on drugs if he thinks he's going to play more at his weight or be allowed to jack jumpers. Keita, you're up and let's fill his spot with a grad transfer and then play 20 minutes with Williams-Simon-Clark 3-4-5.

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 11:25:29 PM »
Spot on with the post game comments.  There were many times he got the ball in the block, against a smaller player, because of switches on Ponds.  And when he got the ball in the post he quite often kicked it out.  Much more comfortable taking mid-range jumpers off the pick and roll or ball movement, and he got that aplenty, more so than he would have elsewhere.  If that is the type of game his Dad wants him to play, it is a major mistake for him to go to another big program because he isn't getting that opportunity.

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
Spot on with the post game comments.  There were many times he got the ball in the block, against a smaller player, because of switches on Ponds.  And when he got the ball in the post he quite often kicked it out.  Much more comfortable taking mid-range jumpers off the pick and roll or ball movement, and he got that aplenty, more so than he would have elsewhere.  If that is the type of game his Dad wants him to play, it is a major mistake for him to go to another big program because he isn't getting that opportunity.
Some other school will lie to him about the role he could have with them and then use him however they choose because at that point he won't have a choice.

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »

Ponds spoon feeds him 4 dunks a game. He has no post moves. Zero. He also has no no feel for when to shoot a jumper. Let him go get 15 minutes at his third school. He's on drugs if he thinks he's going to play more at his weight or be allowed to jack jumpers. Keita, you're up and let's fill his spot with a grad transfer and then play 20 minutes with Williams-Simon-Clark 3-4-5.

You are delusional. 

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 11:29:10 PM »
The kid and his dad just want to make the NBA. He is graduating so he is going to look for a school that might be able to help him get there. IMAGINE thinking anything other than good luck to the kid. IMAGINE IT.

ras

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2018, 11:37:06 PM »
The kid and his dad just want to make the NBA. He is graduating so he is going to look for a school that might be able to help him get there. IMAGINE thinking anything other than good luck to the kid. IMAGINE IT.
He may want to make the NBA. But he is not NBA talent. That said, dont want him to leave. He should work on his inside game and develop post moves taking advantage of his height and wing span. Maybe they just don’t like  Mullins system.

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »
daddy gotta realize hes not a pro...... we can lose 11 in a row without hisd 3 first half fouls and 2 useless blocks, guess daddy knows best

Johnny23

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 11:59:02 PM »
This ongoing lack of continuity and players leaving is a major indictment on the staff. No program outside the blue bloods could lose guys to transfer, or whatever, this often and expect to make significant progress. Romper room stuff.

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 12:23:18 AM »
Maybe Ponds would pass the ball more to Qwens if he thought he would actually catch it, and when he does actually catch it make a positive basketball move with it instead of falling over his own feet. Dad is delusional about his sons capabilities.

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2018, 01:12:21 AM »
The leak to Evan Daniels was obviously done by someone in Owen's camp (his Dad).

It's really ridiculous to see fans sucking this dude off.  While I would like to see Tariq come back this is Lovett selfishness part 2. I want kids that want to be here without an agenda... That's why I like this incoming class.

Poison

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 02:50:10 AM »
Didn't he post that he wasn't raised to quit "ANYTHING" just a few days ago.
I'd rather have him than not, but it's not a huge loss. He was never going to put in the weight he needed. He'll never find a school that will offer more minutes.

He could find 100 schools that will offer him more minutes.

Poison

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:28 AM »
When he initially transferred to St.John’s, Owens was described as a poor man’s Hakim Warrick. I think we can see the accuracy in that assessment now. He’s not Warrick good, but at 6’11 he has a lot of value. He’ll be highly sought after IMO - even without a post up game.

If you look at the awful job that this staff has done in building the roster, it’s unfair to blame Tariq and his father for looking at their options. Tariq is a stretch 4. Not a center. Justin Simon belongs at the 3, not running the point. Marvin Clark is afraid of rebounds. He’s not a power forward. Everyone was out of position during the BE season. Did the staff even recognize that?

If that PF on Syracuse Brissett turns pro, Owens could spend a year learning from Boeheim. I’ve been afraid of that possibility all season. He can wait to see who takes over at Uconn. He could look to go to a Big Ten, ACC or Pac 12 school like Cal, Illinois or Georgia Tech and get a grad degree that really means something.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2018, 03:30:46 AM »
The leak to Evan Daniels was obviously done by someone in Owen's camp (his Dad).

It's really ridiculous to see fans sucking this dude off.  While I would like to see Tariq come back this is Lovett selfishness part 2. I want kids that want to be here without an agenda... That's why I like this incoming class.

I would love to see loyalty from our players, but that’s really not something that’s been part of the St.John’s program. Does the University appreciate the former players that come back to games to support the team? F no.

If Tariq graduates from St.John’s then he will have done his part. He doesn’t owe them more than he’s given them already.  Why does he need a graduate degree as well from the same school? This is one area where I support the NCAA. Let a student athlete who takes it seriously enough to graduate in 4 years continue to learn basketball + earn a grad degree from a different institution. What’s so wrong with that? If that was your kid, wouldn’t you want him to have a better resume?

This may all work out fine provided something lights a fire under our staff and they recruit a center grad transfer or juco themselves.

PIB

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2018, 05:18:42 AM »
Meanwhile, Rhode Island just knocked off OU...

And here we are, circling the drain:

"Hey look kids, theres Big Ben, and there's Parliament again."

This story will not end well. Mullin is clearly in WAY over his head, and we are just wasting our time at this point.

Johnny23

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
When he initially transferred to St.John’s, Owens was described as a poor man’s Hakim Warrick. I think we can see the accuracy in that assessment now. He’s not Warrick good, but at 6’11 he has a lot of value. He’ll be highly sought after IMO - even without a post up game.

If you look at the awful job that this staff has done in building the roster, it’s unfair to blame Tariq and his father for looking at their options. Tariq is a stretch 4. Not a center. Justin Simon belongs at the 3, not running the point. Marvin Clark is afraid of rebounds. He’s not a power forward. Everyone was out of position during the BE season. Did the staff even recognize that?

If that PF on Syracuse Brissett turns pro, Owens could spend a year learning from Boeheim. I’ve been afraid of that possibility all season. He can wait to see who takes over at Uconn. He could look to go to a Big Ten, ACC or Pac 12 school like Cal, Illinois or Georgia Tech and get a grad degree that really means something.

I believe I made the Warrick comparison on here originally. There's no doubt that a lot of schools are going to want a 6'10+ long, rangy, jumping jack who can block shots. At a school with better coaching and talent Owens will be a big contributor. The shame of the whole thing is he was getting better all the time and would've been a major impact for us next year.

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
Norm Roberts is in Wichita you think Chris has his number??? :)

I would love Norm here as an assistant and a recruiter.  Norm was. Great guy and could get out and recruit well.  He wasn’t a great head coach, but as an assistant would be fantastic.  I know it would never happen, but it’s not outlandish.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:55 AM »
Hopefully Tariq lands somewhere where his lack of skill at basketball has less of an adverse effect on his on-court productivity.

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Norm Roberts is in Wichita you think Chris has his number??? :)

I would love Norm here as an assistant and a recruiter.  Norm was. Great guy and could get out and recruit well.  He wasn’t a great head coach, but as an assistant would be fantastic.  I know it would never happen, but it’s not outlandish.
Mullin will have to win 8 big east games just to tie norm after 4 years. That is how bad Mullin is.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:30:44 AM by TONYD3 »