Strength of Schedule

• 117 replies
Re: Strength of Schedule
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
We'd be 17-9. Look at a team like Auburn who is 17-8 now and they don't have nearly as good of wins in their conference as we do with our wins over Marquette 2x and Villanova. They are in the 8-9 range with us.

Baylor is 17-9 with some absolutely awful losses. Yet, they are safely in now because of their good wins.

16-9 Ohio State is safely in.

17-9 Minnesota safely in with non conference losses to BC and Ohio State, but they have good wins in conference like we do.

We'd still be safely in at 17-9 with the good BE wins we have.

No one thought we were any good at 12-0. Imagine we were 10-2.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »

No one thought we were any good at 12-0. Imagine we were 10-2.

Maybe we wouldn't have inched into the top 25 for a week if we were 10-2, but we'd be in the same spot we are now seeding-wise with everything else being the same.

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
We are on our way to our most wins in twenty years and a NCAA tournament bid.  Does this really matter at this point? 

The scheduling strategy was questionable, but it appears that it worked out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:37:34 PM by Gray Chudney »

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2019, 04:34:52 PM »
We'd be 17-9. Look at a team like Auburn who is 17-8 now and they don't have nearly as good of wins in their conference as we do with our wins over Marquette 2x and Villanova. They are in the 8-9 range with us.

Baylor is 17-9 with some absolutely awful losses. Yet, they are safely in now because of their good wins.

16-9 Ohio State is safely in.

17-9 Minnesota safely in with non conference losses to BC and Ohio State, but they have good wins in conference like we do.

We'd still be safely in at 17-9 with the good BE wins we have.

If we went 0-2 against your new pair of teams and dropped one of our games to VCU/Rutgers/Ga Tech we’d be 16-10 with an NET around 60. 

Auburn has an NET ranking of 22. Minnesota is not “safely in.” That’s just an absurd statement.

redslope

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »
SOS--MEH!  As Al Davis once said--JUST WIN BABY!

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »

If we went 0-2 against your new pair of teams and dropped one of our games to VCU/Rutgers/Ga Tech we’d be 16-10 with an NET around 60. 

Auburn has an NET ranking of 22. Minnesota is not “safely in.” That’s just an absurd statement.

I never said to add a loss to VCU/Rutgers/GTech, hence the all things being the same being said several times in here. Stop moving goal posts in literally every single one of your posts.

Are you saying if we were 17-9 with those 2 losses being to Maryland + Syracuse we wouldn't be in right now? If so, that would be an absurd statement

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »
I never said to add a loss to VCU/Rutgers/GTech, hence the all things being the same being said several times in here. Stop moving goal posts in literally every single one of your posts.

Are you saying if we were 17-9 with those 2 losses being to Maryland + Syracuse we wouldn't be in right now? If so, that would be an absurd statement

I did above and you literally replied to it.

You can’t assume wins @Rutgers or on neutral courts with Ga Tech and VCU when making a schedule. Who is to say we still beat those teams with Maryland and Syracuse on the schedule?

We’re 7-6 in the Big East...we’re not some can’t miss team.

We don’t have to envision some crazy hypo. The team and schedule you post about is SH. They played Maryland, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Rutgers, Nebraska, St. Louis, and Hawaii. They are 7-6 in conference like us and they are 16-9 overall. They are #60 in the NET and a bubble team.  That is their reward. And if they missed that shot to Uk they’d be done.

The moral of the the story is that we have more room to play with in the OOC portion than many think.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:48:54 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
I did above and you literally replied to it.

You can’t assume wins @Rutgers or on neutral courts with Ga Tech and VCU when making a schedule. Who is to say we still beat those teams with Maryland and Syracuse on the schedule?

We’re 7-6 in the Big East...we’re not some can’t miss team.

We don’t have to envision some crazy hypo. The team and schedule you post about is SH. They played Maryland, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Rutgers, Nebraska, St. Louis, and Hawaii. They are 7-6 in conference like us and they are 16-9 overall. They are #60 in the NET and a bubble team.  That is their reward. And if they missed that shot to Uk they’d be done.

The moral of the the story is that we have more room to play with in the OOC portion than many think.

If you think we wouldn't be in at 17-9 right now then those VCU and Bowling Green wins that you jack off to every night aren't nearly as good as you think they are. You're a walking contradiction.

The guy who said "I think we'll beat Duke" and "I think we'll kick UVA's dicks in if we play them in the tournament" is now saying we'd lose to Maryland and Syracuse and because of that it's possible we'd even lose a game or two that we already won. You realize you just said that right?

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
If you think we wouldn't be in at 17-9 right now then those VCU and Bowling Green wins that you jack off to every night aren't nearly as good as you think they are. You're a walking contradiction.

The guy who said "I think we'll beat Duke" and "I think we'll kick UVA's dicks in if we play them in the tournament" is now saying we'd lose to Maryland and Syracuse and because of that it's possible we'd even lose a game or two that we already won. You realize you just said that right?

We beat teams or lost to teams based on a certain set of facts that would not be the same if other facts were added or subtracted.  E.g., I seriously doubt we would have beaten Marquette if we didn’t get embarrassed by Duke.

I also doubt we would have beaten BG if it were in the middle of day Nova and Duke.

You can’t change the past and expect the same outcomes. Even something as small as the referee’s kid being nasty at breakfast could alter what happened. Even hear of the butterfly effect?

LoganK

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »
Stop moving goal posts in literally every single one of your posts.
It's the Marillac way.  The point spread one was my favorite.

Marillac

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »
It's the Marillac way.  The point spread one was my favorite.

You’re inching your way to Tony D and Poison territory.

LoganK

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »

You’re inching your way to Tony D and Poison territory.
Lol.  I sh*t you not, I was considering adding that into my post about you, though I was going to include bad Baldi*
*not to be confused with good Baldi, who shows his head from time to time.

LoganK

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
To be fair, an argument could be made that the good/bad split also applies to Poison.

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
We just aren’t as good as some people think.

goredmen

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »

So, you don't think we'd kick UVA's dicks in if we played them in the tournament?

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2019, 11:53:45 PM »
Maybe, but the one thing I do know for sure is we aren't as good as you think. St. John's by 18 over Seton Hall this Saturday. Amirite?

SJUFAN

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »

Wait...What? You mean the team isn’t as good as you said they were? So we do not have 4 potential NBA players in the starting lineup?

Marillac

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2019, 10:35:48 PM »
Wait...What? You mean the team isn’t as good as you said they were? So we do not have 4 potential NBA players in the starting lineup?

What are you saying? You are confusing me for other posters on multiple topics. I never said we had 4 nba players...not once. I don’t think we even have one that will stick.

I also maintained that this is a very flawed team that had a long journey to go from horrible to good.