What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?

• 118 replies
What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
I watched the game vs. Wagner and I was curious what kind of offense/defense system Mullin runs?  Watching the game it seemed like there was a lot of iso-ball and that players had free reign on offense to run what they wanted.

Can someone with a better understanding of St. John’s basketball correct me on this?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:59:38 AM by redmen22 »

LoganK

Re: What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:38:38 AM »
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell there is no correction needed.  He runs a pro-style offense where they are told to take the first open shot they get.  If you think you can beat your man, go for it.  It seems like they have free reign because for the most part they do have free reign.  They play transiition D rather than crashing the offensive boards.
I would think that it would be a positive in terms of making kids want to play here. It's also been effective to this point (although it helps to have several offensively skilled players).
Defensively they play mostly man, with an occasional zone thrown in to keep teams off balance.  They switch everything (easy to do when everyone on your team is the same size) and jump passing lanes to fuel the fast break.  As soon as they get a rebound/turnover, they push it down the court. 
We tend to at least have a token full court defensive approach, sometimes with a trapping zone, sometimes man.  If we fall behind or start to roll, we'll usually turn up the full court pressure.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 07:03:03 AM »
This new article covers what we're trying to accomplish as well

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25559428/the-4-point-line-just-beginning-nba-latest-trend

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
Agree or disagree with it is fine. Plenty of stuff bothers me but from my view it’s simple: 5 offensive options on the court (Simon is a playmaker), spread the floor, create driving lanes, MOVE THE BALL. Obviusly it’s not this simple but that’s the main jist of it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »
Roll the ball out on the floor and let 5 guys run up and down, helter skelter.

As long as it works in BE play I'll be fine with it. We shall see.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »

Yeah, that's what's happening. You're a keen observer of the sport.

It's a shame Bob Kelly doesn't have any eligibility left, we could get back to playing basketball as it should be played, 40 years ago.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
Yeah, that's what's happening. You're a keen observer of the sport.

It's a shame Bob Kelly doesn't have any eligibility left, we could get back to playing basketball as it should be played, 40 years ago.
What do you see genius?

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:36:47 AM »
Agree or disagree with it is fine. Plenty of stuff bothers me but from my view it’s simple: 5 offensive options on the court (Simon is a playmaker), spread the floor, create driving lanes, MOVE THE BALL. Obviusly it’s not this simple but that’s the main jist of it.

Would like to see more guys cutting. We do move ball well but too often just along the perimeter.
Again the over reliance on the three and being small might bite us down the road but biggest concern remains perimeter D specifically rotating out on shooters.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »
the over reliance on the three

We've taken fewer threes than Nova, Creighton, Butler, Marquette and Xavier. Nova has taken 350 (in 2 more games) versus SJ 240. And SJ is shooting them at nearly 40%, second in the conference. Dixon, Heron and LJF are in the top ten in 3 point percentage, all north of 44 percent. Ponds is 27th at 37 %. They should take more threes, not fewer. 

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »
We've taken fewer threes than Nova, Creighton, Butler, Marquette and Xavier. Nova has taken 350 (in 2 more games) versus SJ 240. And SJ is shooting them at nearly 40%, second in the conference. Dixon, Heron and LJF are in the top ten in 3 point percentage, all north of 44 percent. Ponds is 27th at 37 %. They should take more threes, not fewer. 

Just on eye test too often looks like we are camped out on the three point line. And it is not so much the actual shot as it is 4 guys standing behind the line. Our best shot is Ponds penetrating and I am sure we will see much more of that once BE season starts.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:11:07 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
I don’t think our offense will be a concern now that we have three guys who can really score. If you look at the guys who get minutes on our team you can understand Mullin’s coaching philosophy. He wants players that are confident shooters. He wants everyone to take open shots and that means shooting early in the shot clock or moving the ball to get that open shot.

That’s offense. In regards to defense, you’re guess is as good as mine. From the looks of things, it doesn’t appear that Mullin has a philosophy on defense, or cares whether or not anyone takes it seriously.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »

Creighton who I believe are/were number one in 3pt % shot 7-30 (23%) in their loss last night

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
The team has embraced the 5 out offense this year after kind of being forced into it after Keita got hurt. Going to be interesting how they incorporate him into the offense when he’s back
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:33:32 AM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »

As long as it works in BE play I'll be fine with it. We shall see.

You're just wrong. If that's what you see, you don't know basketball well. 

These guys have a checklist of reads to make and options depending on the type of defense and where they are on the floor. This is no different than on the NBA. It's also a big reason why we have so much more room to grow than more structured teams.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
Would like to see more guys cutting. We do move ball well but too often just along the perimeter.
Again the over reliance on the three and being small might bite us down the road but biggest concern remains perimeter D specifically rotating out on shooters.

+100 on the cuts/paint touches. There are times when having 5 guys on outside makes it harder to drive. Guy in the paint creates one less perimeter defender and further distance for the help. Of course there’s also advantages to not having help around the rim.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

These guys have a checklist of reads to make and options depending on the type of defense and where they are on the floor. This is no different than on the NBA. It's also a big reason why we have so much more room to grow than more structured teams.

We can only grow into more structure. Those teams have a system, we have a playground. Let's see how it unfolds when the real games start in 10 days.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »

More room to grow? What are you talking about? Rutgers they shot incredibly. Shoot like that you beat anyone. Is that the goal?
This isn’t the NBA, where just about everyone is great. They are all threats, they can all shoot.
Last year in the big east, Xavier completely played off Simon in the 1st half. Simon took and made a few 3’s. From memory he had like 12 points. The Xavier fans were outraged. Xavier won the game by something like 50.
Good coaches are going to determine who shoots. They are going to be fine with Justin Simon shooting quick 3’s, Trimble shooting 3’s in transition, and to an extent Clarke shooting 3’s.
This team gets no easy baskets.
They look the best out of a TO when they run some kind of offense. That  play usually ends in a dunk.
Did you not watch last season?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:29:25 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
More room to grow? What are you talking about? Rutgers they shot incredibly. Shoot like that you beat anyone. Is that the goal?
This isn’t the NBA, where just about everyone is great. They are all threats, they can all shoot.
Last year in the big east, Xavier completely played off Simon in the 1st half. Simon took and made a few 3’s. From memory he had like 12 points. The Xavier fans were outraged. Xavier won the game by something like 50.
Good coaches are going to determine who shoots. They are going to be fine with Justin Simon shooting quick 3’s, Trimble shooting 3’s in transition, and to an extent Clarke shooting 3’s.
This team gets no easy baskets.
They look the best out of a TO when they run some kind of offense. That  play usually ends in a dunk.
Did you not watch last season?

Is this last season?

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
We can only grow into more structure. Those teams have a system, we have a playground. Let's see how it unfolds when the real games start in 10 days.

Structure reduces decision-making. It is easier to get those systems up to speed. Our guys have so much more to go as they get better making reads and becoming familiar with each other.

They are working in aspects such as playing through the post--which creates more cutting and movement. They've got a lot in the toolbox and will be elite offensively come February.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
Is this last season?
Looks like same shit to me. What’s different? OOC last year we killed Nebraska on an incredibly great shooting night. We beat the rest of the teams we were supposed to (without really playing well). We lost to every other good team we played.