Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm assuming he's a recruiting expert?  What's his track record like at SLU and Rutgers? Did he nab any big recruits?

Johnny23

« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
Solid which is fine and what we need right now.

« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm assuming he's a recruiting expert?  What's his track record like at SLU and Rutgers? Did he nab any big recruits?

He's not exclusively a recruiter.  Don't know much about his role at St Louis, but he was the X and Os guy on Pecora's Fordham staff prior to joining Rice's staff at Rutgers.

« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
Sounds like it's done! 

Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
Van Macon has agreed to join Mike Anderson’s staff, source confirms. #sjubb

Johnny23

« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
Sounds like it's done! 

Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
Van Macon has agreed to join Mike Anderson’s staff, source confirms. #sjubb

Now let's get Borman locked up.

« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Van Macon knows the NYC landscape well and is respected by the area coaches. Mike Anderson still has one more hire to make

« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Good, smart hire.  Exact type of person needed for this staff.

« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »
Now let's get Borman locked up.

That's still possible, but not sure that's still an option since Macon is on board.  Unless, we're hiring Borman for the sole purpose of possibly landing a few of the Rens' kids. 

I wouldn't be surprised we go in another direction.

QuanMan

« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Here's the local w experience that we all wanted. Assuming Pressey the DOBO. Borman now gravy at this point.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
When Macon was at Rutgers with Rice, he helped bring on guys like Kadeem Jack, Myles Mack

Poison

« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
When Macon was at Rutgers with Rice, he helped bring on guys like Kadeem Jack, Myles Mack

Ehh, I’m not sure those guys are such gets, but I don’t remember watching them often. Were those high major guys?

SJUFAN

« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »
He's not exclusively a recruiter.  Don't know much about his role at St Louis, but he was the X and Os guy on Pecora's Fordham staff prior to joining Rice's staff at Rutgers.

Doesn’t he also have a reputation working/developing big men?

Johnny23

« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Ehh, I’m not sure those guys are such gets, but I don’t remember watching them often. Were those high major guys?

Both guys with plenty of high major offers. Jack a 4 star and Mack borderline 3/4 star. Regardless, Macon is a solid hire with tons of sideline experience and local knowledge. If we could get Borman that would be the cherry on top.

Foad

« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »

They were both top 100 RSCI recruits (~80) but both had four losing records (51-77) in four years under Rice and Jordan in three conferences. Which is not good. So either they stunk or their coaches did or the ratings did.

Lots of lip stick on the pig Coach Iron Mike ball washing going on so far. I have no opinion about the guy, can't recall ever seeing him coach aa game, but a commitment from a dwarf and a couple of offers to three star recruits is getting him a lot of street cred. I smell another rebuild, which I'm too old for, although I did get proofed in the airport bar the other day, so there's that.

« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
They were both top 100 RSCI recruits (~80) but both had four losing records (51-77) in four years under Rice and Jordan in three conferences. Which is not good. So either they stunk or their coaches did or the ratings did.

Lots of lip stick on the pig Coach Iron Mike ball washing going on so far. I have no opinion about the guy, can't recall ever seeing him coach aa game, but a commitment from a dwarf and a couple of offers to three star recruits is getting him a lot of street cred. I smell another rebuild, which I'm too old for, although I did get proofed in the airport bar the other day, so there's that.

Of course this is a rebuild.  The program is in shambles.  We cannot really judge anderson until we see who he brings in next year and the year after. 

Right now, he is just doing anything he can to get 12 guys on the roster.

« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Of course this is a rebuild.  The program is in shambles.  We cannot really judge anderson until we see who he brings in next year and the year after. 

Anderson has taken 3 schools in shambles and brought them back to consistent winning, UAB to the S16, Mizzou to the Elite 8 and Arkansas 3 tourneys in the last 4 years.

« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
Anderson has taken 3 schools in shambles and brought them back to consistent winning, UAB to the S16, Mizzou to the Elite 8 and Arkansas 3 tourneys in the last 4 years.
Forgive them BannerMountainMan.  They're not used to having a real coach at the head of our program.

« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
Some guys will never get over Mullin

Foad

« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »

Right, I agree, the program is in shambles and it's a rebuild and right now he's doing anything he can, just like Mullins did when he signed Ron Mouiviqua and Frederico Cannoli. Which is why the ball washing regarding securing a 5'9" three star guard and offering two after thought forwards is nice personic.

Foad

« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
Forgive them BannerMountainMan.  They're not used to having a real coach at the head of our program.

If you graduated in 2010 there hasn't been a real coach head at the head of our program longer than you've been alive. So maybe consider shutting TFU.