Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

wpc77

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
Right, I agree, the program is in shambles and it's a rebuild and right now he's doing anything he can, just like Mullins did when he signed Ron Mouiviqua and Frederico Cannoli. Which is why the ball washing regarding securing a 5'9" three star guard and offering two after thought forwards is nice personic.

I wouldn't say full on ball washing.  The point guard did have some solid offers.  And the forwards seem to as well, despite the weaknesses.  So not as bad as the turtle and sleaze/slice in their 8 week initial jaunt.  More like laying the cloth on the balls, no washing

« Reply #301 on: May 03, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
Is Van Macon young enough / still connected enough to get us the NYC recruits we want? 

Borman seemed like the more current choice, am I wrong? 

Foad

« Reply #302 on: May 03, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
I wouldn't say full on ball washing.  The point guard did have some solid offers.  And the forwards seem to as well, despite the weaknesses.  So not as bad as the turtle and sleaze/slice in their 8 week initial jaunt.  More like laying the cloth on the balls, no washing

Perhaps we could agree on a slight detailing and then a wax and simonize? Look, I barely heard of this guy before a week ago and he has better resume than the dopes we were threatened with post Hurley and I've never heard of any of these recruits before and I'm willing to give a pass to Coach Iron Mike's newbie to the forum Arkansas fans but come on, is this what we're getting a hard on for? A midget commit and Van Bacon? Come on, admit it, none of this is exciting unless you're excited about a new regime. Me, I'm not. If they were going to fire Mullin after four years they should have re upped Lavin after five and if they were going to fire Lavin after five they should have re upped Norm. There is not a program in the country outside of UCLA that behaves in this manner and half way succeeds except UCLA and UCLA is crazy. Every coach except Norm who's made the NCAA tournament at SJ has been fired a year later and if Iron Mike has any good sense he won't make one either.

wpc77

« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Perhaps we could agree on a slight detailing and then a wax and simonize? Look, I barely heard of this guy before a week ago and he has better resume than the dopes we were threatened with post Hurley and I've never heard of any of these recruits before and I'm willing to give a pass to Coach Iron Mike's newbie to the forum Arkansas fans but come on, is this what we're getting a hard on for? A midget commit and Van Bacon? Come on, admit it, none of this is exciting unless you're excited about a new regime. Me, I'm not. If they were going to fire Mullin after four years they should have re upped Lavin after five and if they were going to fire Lavin after five they should have re upped Norm. There is not a program in the country outside of UCLA that behaves in this manner and half way succeeds except UCLA and UCLA is crazy. Every coach except Norm who's made the NCAA tournament at SJ has been fired a year later and if Iron Mike has any good sense he won't make one either.

I will say it again - Iron Mike is not getting fired, in all likelihood.  In all likelihood, he will have a mediocre first year but nab some very good 2020 recruits, then have two quite good years (NCAA first legit (not final #$%^ed up 4) weekend), then bail at age 62 for a big 12 or SEC job

« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2019, 05:21:56 AM »

I totally agree with Foad. Listen, I wanted Mullin gone because I did not think was a good recruiter, hard worker, or good x and o coach. He and his staff did not build a program really and did not get the max out of the talent they had this year, just my opinion. I didn't think was cut out to coach but still respect what he did for the program playing wise.

But everyone needs to relax with the  gushing over every recruit or hire the coach Anderson makes. Everyone on here looks at a youtube video of a recruit and immediately thinks they are the  best player we've seen or "perfect" for coach Anderson's system. He has a great coaching track record that is a fact, but this is also St. Johns, so lets be realistic here. I hope these players contribute and have great careers at St. John's but going wild over a 5'8-5'9 guard and some other big stiff is ridiculous. I do hope all these players contribute but lets be a little more realistic.

« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
I totally agree with Foad. Listen, I wanted Mullin gone because I did not think was a good recruiter, hard worker, or good x and o coach. He and his staff did not build a program really and did not get the max out of the talent they had this year, just my opinion. I didn't think was cut out to coach but still respect what he did for the program playing wise.

But everyone needs to relax with the  gushing over every recruit or hire the coach Anderson makes. Everyone on here looks at a youtube video of a recruit and immediately thinks they are the  best player we've seen or "perfect" for coach Anderson's system. He has a great coaching track record that is a fact, but this is also St. Johns, so lets be realistic here. I hope these players contribute and have great careers at St. John's but going wild over a 5'8-5'9 guard and some other big stiff is ridiculous. I do hope all these players contribute but lets be a little more realistic.

Most gushing by the video evaluators you learn over time to discount, there are only a few posters you will learn to trust. Trust the few and ignore the rest. Also must check both boards.  There are perennial gushers on both boards.

ras

« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
I think Anderson will work out. He is knowledgeable,hardworking,and is putting together a very nice experienced staff. I think our new pg is overhyped.but it’s late in the game . Have to temper expectations his freshman year, but need to build for the future.Hopefully we can get an experienced JUCI or grad transfer pg.

« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
If a coach has any shady stuff in his past, Mike will not hire that, not even close.

Poison

« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »

McGriff fits the system that Anderson runs. He wants to play defense.

You don’t find that encouraging?

« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2019, 11:34:13 PM »
Van is super tight with Munch. I'm sure this was his ace card.

Macon has had a good track record of landing guys at Hofstra and Rutgers. I'm not mad at this.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »
Van is super tight with Munch. I'm sure this was his ace card.

Macon has had a good track record of landing guys at Hofstra and Rutgers. I'm not mad at this.

Dave what’s is munch’s role for those of us not as in touch?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
Dave what’s is munch’s role for those of us not as in touch?

He runs the show for the PSA Cardinals

Marillac

« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
Macon is a good but not great hire. The last assistant position has to go to a guy that can coach big men and help with Xs and Os and game prep.

« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »
Macon is a good but not great hire. The last assistant position has to go to a guy that can coach big men and help with Xs and Os and game prep.

I agree with what you said. It's hard to judge hires until you see the complete set.

« Reply #314 on: May 06, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »

Van played that exact role under Pecora.

SJUFAN

« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
I agree with what you said. It's hard to judge hires until you see the complete set.

Didn’t he coach bigs?

« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »

Who would your great hire be for the final spot, aside from Hsu?

« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
Didn’t he coach bigs?

I know he recruited Kadeem Jack to Rutgers

Marillac

« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »
Who would your great hire be for the final spot, aside from Hsu?

Can you drop thre Hsu thing? It’s super annoying. There are dozens of assistants that would be great hires. None of them are coming here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:13:12 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2019, 04:18:55 AM »
McGriff fits the system that Anderson runs. He wants to play defense.

You don’t find that encouraging?

How do we know if he fits the system or not at the college level? He wants to play defense but he's 5 foot 8. This isn't high school anymore where you  can get away with that. So Bryan Trimble wants to play defense does the mean he fits the system as well? I really hope Mcgriff does fit the system but its impossible to tell by watching a kids youtube highlights against high school competition.