Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

Johnny23

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
Far from connected, but everyone I've spoken to that is semi-connected to college hoops thinks that St. Jean is a really good up-and-coming young coach.  Works hard, kids love him and he is all about ball.  He is just green.  He isn't the problem; too much being asked IMO. 

You take St. Jean, a respected recruiter that can actually help with running other aspects of the program, and get a veteran HC/Whitesell type in the mix, sliding Mitch to special advisor or whatever.

That's like saying Terry Bradway wanted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Talk is cheap. Results are all that matters.

Nothing about St. Jean to this point suggests he's even a halfway capable coach at this level.

No one is beating down the door to make St. Jean a head coach or any coach for that matter.

He has proven nothing as a coach except that he's part of a bad staff that's performed poorly under his coaching over 4 seasons in the Big East.

Fans should expect better.

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »
I'm not saying he's head coaching material right now.  I am not saying the staff is properly composed.  I am saying people who point to St. Jean as being the problem, or a source of the problem, may not be right.  As I've noted, I know several basketball people who think he is a good young coach.  We don't know specifics, but I've never heard anyone question his work ethic, and I've heard that he is a very hard worker who gives a s***, where there are obviously question about the capabilities and desires of certain other assistant coaches.  With that background, I think there are more questions about our other two assistants and what they bring to the table than St. Jean.  And I think if you filled those slots with the right people, no one would care about or question St. Jean's role.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
I'm not saying he's head coaching material right now.  I am not saying the staff is properly composed.  I am saying people who point to St. Jean as being the problem, or a source of the problem, may not be right.  As I've noted, I know several basketball people who think he is a good young coach.  We don't know specifics, but I've never heard anyone question his work ethic, and I've heard that he is a very hard worker who gives a s***, where there are obviously question about the capabilities and desires of certain other assistant coaches.  With that background, I think there are more questions about our other two assistants and what they bring to the table than St. Jean.  And I think if you filled those slots with the right people, no one would care about or question St. Jean's role.
He is in and has been WAAAY over his head. Not his fault. I bet he is giving it his all.
Not even close to getting it done. And should be replaced.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:39:35 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
That's like saying Terry Bradway wanted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Talk is cheap. Results are all that matters.

Nothing about St. Jean to this point suggests he's even a halfway capable coach at this level.

No one is beating down the door to make St. Jean a head coach or any coach for that matter.

He has proven nothing as a coach except that he's part of a bad staff that's performed poorly under his coaching over 4 seasons in the Big East.

Fans should expect better.

Boy, you are a tedious read.

SJUFAN

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »
Just curious why people think Matt will go to Nebraska? Is his relationship that close to Fred?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:30:24 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
Big Ed on board

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
Just curious why people think Matt will go to Nebraska? Is his relationship that close to Fred?

Yes, Matt A does have close relationship with Hoiberg.  Not to mention, I believe Abdelmassih sees the writing on the wall, per se'. 

Basically, it's a done deal he'll end up in Nebraska with Hoiberg.... 

Steven M. Sipple
‏@HuskerExtraSip
I'm told speculation about St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih joining Hoiberg's staff is correct.

As for the makeup of the rest of staff, it remains a bit unclear. There is discussion about Western Kentucky assistant Mark Hsu being part of the deal, but nothing is final.

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account
@GoodmanHoops
Fred Hoiberg is also expected to hire St. John’s assistant Matt Abdelmassih, source told @Stadium. Abdelmassih was with Hoiberg at Iowa State and did much of the heavy lifting with recruiting.

Zach Braziller
‏@NYPost_Brazille
Per sources, Tom Pecora, Ed Pinckney, Derrick Phelps and Marc Hsu are four names that could be in play for assistant spot at St Johns. #sjubb

Lastly, the issues lie deeper than simply adding another assistant coach.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:41:45 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »
I believe there will be 2 assistant spots opening

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »
Boy, you are a tedious read.

Give me tedious over blind homer every day.

Tha Kid

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »
Big Ed on board

Really?? Didn’t he say no originally when Mullin hired?
"I drink and I know things"

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »
Yes, Matt A does have close relationship with Hoiberg.  Not to mention, I believe Abdelmassih sees the writing on the wall, per se'. 

Basically, it's a done deal he'll end up in Nebraska with Hoiberg.... 

Steven M. Sipple
‏@HuskerExtraSip
I'm told speculation about St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih joining Hoiberg's staff is correct.

As for the makeup of the rest of staff, it remains a bit unclear. There is discussion about Western Kentucky assistant Mark Hsu being part of the deal, but nothing is final.

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account
@GoodmanHoops
Fred Hoiberg is also expected to hire St. John’s assistant Matt Abdelmassih, source told @Stadium. Abdelmassih was with Hoiberg at Iowa State and did much of the heavy lifting with recruiting.

Zach Braziller
‏@NYPost_Brazille
Per sources, Tom Pecora, Ed Pinckney, Derrick Phelps and Marc Hsu are four names that could be in play for assistant spot at St Johns. #sjubb

Lastly, the issues lie deeper than simply adding another assistant coach.

Agree. Uninspiring names. More Mullin fanboys. Not going to change anything with deeper coaching issues.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:09:47 PM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »
Give me tedious over blind homer every day.

Am I blind?

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »

Agree. Uninspiring names. More Mullin fanboys. Not going to change anything with deeper coaching issues.

I think if we add Pecora and Pinckney that would be significant upgrades.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 04:41:13 PM »
I believe there will be 2 assistant spots opening

Supposedly, shaping up that way.

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »

Johnny23

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
I think if we add Pecora and Pinckney that would be significant upgrades.

I won't poo poo either of them too badly yet.

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
Your objectivity is.

I think you’re confused on the meaning of the word “objective.” Tell me, what “objective” truths have you purported that I’m blind to?

Johnny23

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
I think you’re confused on the meaning of the word “objective.” Tell me, what “objective” truths have you purported that I’m blind to?

Just about everything you post. It's ok. Next year when we have a worse record than this year you can tell me I'm right like the last time I was. Do you think we'll have a better record?

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »
I don’t get the excitement behind Pecora at all. He has 0 X’s and O’s skills and hasn’t recruited for a major conference school in over 20 years.

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »
Hope those guys dont become the successors to Mullin.