Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

lihoop

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 05:02:28 PM »
Need a big man asst and an X and Os asst. - is it too soon for John Buck to move up?

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »
Just about everything you post. It's ok. Next year when we have a worse record than this year you can tell me I'm right like the last time I was. Do you think we'll have a better record?

You weirdly didn't answer my question, not in a deliberate refusal to answer sorta way but more of a not understanding what I was asking sort of way.

What I see as an objective truth or objective presentation of information I will agree with. Objective truths are undeniable, it's in the name. Objective truths include but are not limited to: team's record, player stats, what sort of a system the team runs, how many times Mullings was caught tying his shoes on camera.
Subjective truths are debatable. One person can see something and think it means something while someone else can have a wholly different interpretation. You see Mullin tying his shoes and you think he must have learned to do it this morning and is now showing off on the television while I see a coach that is running a program and, establishing a system, has delegated responsibilities to assistants.
The objective truth is somewhere in between.

To first talk around your question, I will reiterate a stance that I have held for at least the last month+, since the slide began and omens of St. John's impending doom were once again in vogue: It is too early to predict the record of a team as we don't know exactly what that team will be composed of, both on the court and on the sideline.

To answer the question: No, I don't think the regular season record will be better. I also don't really care if it's 19 wins or 21 wins. The team could be better and end with a worse record.

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Bobby cremins

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
All I can say is this...if we replace gossip girl Matt A with Marc Hsu, that is one of the biggest upgrades any team in college basketball will have.

Move Mitch to special advisor and add Pecora...that is a solid staff.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
You weirdly didn't answer my question, not in a deliberate refusal to answer sorta way but more of a not understanding what I was asking sort of way.

What I see as an objective truth or objective presentation of information I will agree with. Objective truths are undeniable, it's in the name. Objective truths include but are not limited to: team's record, player stats, what sort of a system the team runs, how many times Mullings was caught tying his shoes on camera.
Subjective truths are debatable. One person can see something and think it means something while someone else can have a wholly different interpretation. You see Mullin tying his shoes and you think he must have learned to do it this morning and is now showing off on the television while I see a coach that is running a program and, establishing a system, has delegated responsibilities to assistants.
The objective truth is somewhere in between.

To first talk around your question, I will reiterate a stance that I have held for at least the last month+, since the slide began and omens of St. John's impending doom were once again in vogue: It is too early to predict the record of a team as we don't know exactly what that team will be composed of, both on the court and on the sideline.

To answer the question: No, I don't think the regular season record will be better. I also don't really care if it's 19 wins or 21 wins. The team could be better and end with a worse record.

He’s a gremlin and doesn’t deserve this well thought out response.

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »
All I can say is this...if we replace gossip girl Matt A with Marc Hsu, that is one of the biggest upgrades any team in college basketball will have.

Move Mitch to special advisor and add Pecora...that is a solid staff.

I don’t know anything about the Hsu guy so can’t comment there.

But I don’t get what Pecora would bring that would be a huge help. I know for a fact he’s a well below average X’s and O’s mind. I know he has local connections but he hasn’t recruited above the mid-major level in 20 years. There has to be better options out there than Pecora

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2019, 07:14:51 PM »
Pecora recruited Eric Paschall to Fordham. that's like selling ice to Eskimos in the dead of winter.

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Pecora recruited Eric Paschall to Fordham. that's like selling ice to Eskimos in the dead of winter.

True. I don’t know if he’ll be able to recruit at a high enough level if he is going to be the lead or only recruited.

Whatever happens will not be enough if Mitch is still an Assistant next year. Can’t succeed with a Head Coach and an Assistant that do zero recruiting and have extremely limited X’s and O’s capabilities regardless of who the other two assistants are

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »
True. I don’t know if he’ll be able to recruit at a high enough level if he is going to be the lead or only recruited.

Whatever happens will not be enough if Mitch is still an Assistant next year. Can’t succeed with a Head Coach and an Assistant that do zero recruiting and have extremely limited X’s and O’s capabilities regardless of who the other two assistants are

+1

It'll be almost akin to rearranging of the chairs on the Titanic.

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »
Hsu for Matt is a plus in my view if that happens.

Then as everyone has stated ad nauseum (rightfully so), a guy like Pecora to replace Mitch and have the latter slide over to special advisor or whatever.  Pecora will help with recruiting and everything else an experienced HC can help with.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
I don’t know anything about the Hsu guy so can’t comment there.

But I don’t get what Pecora would bring that would be a huge help. I know for a fact he’s a well below average X’s and O’s mind. I know he has local connections but he hasn’t recruited above the mid-major level in 20 years. There has to be better options out there than Pecora

Hsu is a monster. Nonstop motor. Connections everywhere. Creative recruiter who actually has an eye for talent. Can actually coach too.

I can’t comment on Pecora as an Xs and Os guy but from what I can gather he is very well liked and he’s recruited NY for years. A bench coach that can recruit sounds like an upgrade over Mitch to me.

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »
Hsu is a monster. 

If this guy can win at Binghamton - he's got to be great.

QuanMan

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2019, 01:40:14 AM »
Big Ed on board

A+ hire. Gossip queen Abs and Luca to the corn fields.
Section 3
Section 116

pmg911

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »
did Matt A abandon Twitter..?

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
did Matt A abandon Twitter..?

he will be back. expect a goodbye tweet.

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »
he will be back. expect a goodbye tweet.

he is back on Twitter  - could have easily been my mistake and he was never off but I saw people talking about him over the weekend and he was not tagged on anything

goredmen

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »
Zach reporting its official. Matt’s gone.

In related news, let’s see how Zach covers the program from here on out now that his buddy is gone. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets no info from anybody inside the program now and completely turns on them as a result. That’s something that POS would do.

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »
Zach reporting its official. Matt’s gone.

In related news, let’s see how Zach covers the program from here on out now that his buddy is gone. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets no info from anybody inside the program now and completely turns on them as a result. That’s something that POS would do.

Remember how much he loved the Mullin staff that first summer. Something like “huge difference between CM and Lavin’s staff in terms of availability and transparency”. It’s all about what they can do for him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
Bummed on a few levels. No secret Matt is one of my best friends and sad to see him go but at same time I'm happy for him and professionally I think its a smart career move for him.

Objectively speaking for the program I think this hurts in the short term but everyone is replaceable and perhaps this frees up the way to build a better overall staff that is more cohesive in everything that they do.

The next hire or hopefully 2 will be critical to Mullin's future. Can't go too young and hungry because this staff lack experience (Oddly Matt was most experienced coach on staff) and you can't go too old or has been. Need someone with something to prove that has been through this ringer before and willing to fall in line with Mullin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
Remember how much he loved the Mullin staff that first summer. Something like “huge difference between CM and Lavin’s staff in terms of availability and transparency”. It’s all about what they can do for him.

What he says about whoever the new hires are should be a good indicator of how he'll treat the program moving forward. I don't expect him to be overly kind unless they hire somebody he knows personally