Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
There’s no reason to freak out. There’s also no reason to celebrate.

Let’s see what improvements coach Mullin makes and then evaluate them afterwards. Sound fair?

I think that’s all the sane people have been asking for all along.

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »

it's crazy to me how disconnected it appears Matt is from the other coaches.  I mean, he's acting like a player vs a coach.  why not wait for the official SJU press release? why issue your statements to the press? why go on social media to talk share how you feel?  it's really amateurish, and frankly shows how little regard he has for the program/school/staff.  i think how this has played out, is the greatest indication of how self-absorbed he is. and honestly, fans haven't helped by saying 'he's the only one working'. just adds to his ego.

It's 2019.

Also I respect a person taking the time to write and address people personally rather than a press release issuing a random statement.

Additionally an assistant coach leaving a team isn't exactly "press" worthy news.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
I think there are few keys that are essential to inevitable hires.

- Need experience
- Need recruiting + bench coach
- Need to respect Mullin as man in charge
- Need to be connected to players day to day
- Need to get along and be unified with other members of staff
- Need to be hungry with something to prove

I'm not sure who that is but I think he/they need to check those boxes. I think losing Matt in short term hurts but there are things that can improve without him too. I just have little confidence in the next move(s) being the right ones.

Foad

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »
There’s no reason to freak out. There’s also no reason to celebrate.

Let’s see what improvements coach Mullin makes and then evaluate them afterwards. Sound fair?

That's very fair. As opposed the season was a disaster, the off season was a disaster, best blow it all up and start again.

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
The rest of the college bball world doesn't even recognize St. John's. 
No kidding.  Why should they?  We the fans who've been with them for more than two seasons aren't fazed by this.  It's you and others of your ilk that suffer from unrealistic visions of grandeur.

Regarding Hsu: I've been closely following the America East for probably near 20 years now and know that winning at Binghamton is darn near impossible. Think Fordham only worse.

I don't know him from Adam but I'm in the Hsu camp.

Johnny23

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:25 PM »
No kidding.  Why should they?  We the fans who've been with them for more than two seasons aren't fazed by this.  It's you and others of your ilk that suffer from unrealistic visions of grandeur.

Regarding Hsu: I've been closely following the America East for probably near 20 years now and know that winning at Binghamton is darn near impossible. Think Fordham only worse.

I'm not unrealistic as much as I am critical of the coaching taking place, or lack thereof. If Hsu and Borman tighten up the system that Mullin implements and make this a more cohesive team that improves during the course of the season then I'm all for their hires. That would be a nice change from what took place this past season where, W-L record aside, the team didn't improve and peak in late Feb/March as most well coached teams do.

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
I think there are few keys that are essential to inevitable hires.

- Need experience
- Need recruiting + bench coach
- Need to respect Mullin as man in charge
- Need to be connected to players day to day
- Need to get along and be unified with other members of staff
- Need to be hungry with something to prove

I'm not sure who that is but I think he/they need to check those boxes. I think losing Matt in short term hurts but there are things that can improve without him too. I just have little confidence in the next move(s) being the right ones.

Your not on board with the rumored additions? They may not blow you away name recognition wise but they will be an upgrade over departing staff.

derk

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »

Well Albany had a few years run, and obviously Buffalo in the last 4 years

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2019, 04:36:19 PM »
Fordham96 is in full meltdown on the other forum. He can’t handle the positive energy and hope that has come in the last 24 hours!

Some of these guys are really sad and continue to show their true colors.

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
Your not on board with the rumored additions? They may not blow you away name recognition wise but they will be an upgrade over departing staff.

I was speaking in generalities. Not specific to anyone named or not named.

« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2019, 12:16:12 AM »
I'm not unrealistic as much as I am critical of the coaching taking place, 
For the 8000th time.  Being critical of the coaching taking place that just matched or exceeded any coaching they've had in the new millennium proves that you are unrealistic and have ridiculously warped expectations for our beloved low to middling program.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:17:50 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2019, 12:34:06 AM »
For the 8000th time.  Being critical of the coaching taking place that just matched or exceeded any coaching they've had in the new millennium proves that you are unrealistic and have ridiculously warped expectations for our beloved low to middling program.

I don’t think that’s fair. The coaching was where this team was lacking most. That was the weak link. Team would have been better with better teachers and strategists.

SJUFAN

« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2019, 02:15:21 AM »

What is wrong with you? Are you incapable of making the distinction between W-L record and the actual play on the court? This team was undisciplined on both sides of the ball and lead to us finishing in 7th place in the BE which frankly was the weakest I’ve ever seen it. If not for our weak ooc schedule we wouldn’t have won as many total games. Our BE record is evidence of that.

This is not a who is right position. It’s a matter of perspective, like the glass is half full or half empty. Both are right. Yes we won 21 games, yes we had a successful season comparatively speaking, but doesn’t mean the coaching wasn’t still lacking. These are both true.

Johnny23

« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2019, 07:51:57 AM »

You do realize you could improve your win total and still be lacking as a coach? It happens all the time in all sports. However you don't want to be critical in any way of your beloved figure from yesteryear. I get it.

The only way this team gets better is if you are critical of the areas where they need to improve and coaching is at the top of that list.

I'll give Hsu and Borman a chance. I still have my reservations about their coaching ability. However the elephant is so large now that if the in-game coaching still sucks next year you better believe the coaching critique will get turned up even hotter and rightfully so.

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »
Heard only Hsu will be added, if that’s the case don’t expect much improvement and it’s not a knock on hsu
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:59:07 AM by erickthered »

« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2019, 10:00:27 AM »
I find it interesting that Pelzman is the one reporting all the sju scoops now...Zach has been simply commenting

wpc77

« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »
I find it interesting that Pelzman is the one reporting all the sju scoops now...Zach has been simply commenting

Somewhat true.  Zach tweeted late last night that Borman is very unlikely to be an assistant.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
Somewhat true.  Zach tweeted late last night that Borman is very unlikely to be an assistant.

Zach is commenting blind. He’s playing the odds we screw up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:10:40 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
The last time we had Assistant Coaching drama, Zach was hilariously wrong about it the entire time until it was final. He's essentially a glorified Baldi at this point

SJUFAN

« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
Heard only Hsu will be added, if that’s the case don’t expect much improvement and it’s not a knock on hsu

Disappointing if true. It means that Mullin doesn’t believe there are any improvements that should be made to the staff. Hsu will be busy recruiting and jr will be coaching the team. Same shit.