Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »
“Coach Hsu’s a grinder, that’s all I can say. He’s a grinder,” Stansbury said this week. “He lives it 24-7. That’s what you gotta be to be the best at anything you do. But he falls asleep thinking about recruiting and he wakes up thinking about recruiting. That’s what you have to do. “

https://www.wbko.com/content/sports/WKUs-biggest-offseason-acquisition-Perhaps-it-was-assistant-Marc-Hsu-457754773.html

« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
I don’t think that’s fair. The coaching was where this team was lacking most. That was the weak link. Team would have been better with better teachers and strategists.

A) The team wasn't lacking.  It made the Ncaa tournament. As a SJ fan that's the best you can hope for and the coaches, players, staff, ad and Bobby deserve credit and applause for that, period.

B) I think who deserves blame, should be none only credit this season, is impossible to determine as they're all tied together. My guess would be about 50 percent coaches, 50 percent players. The other 50 percent referees.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:32:38 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
What is wrong with you?
A lot.
Are you incapable of making the distinction between W-L record and the actual play on the court?
Yes.  I'm completely results driven.
This team was undisciplined on both sides of the ball
Angry anti-Mullin fanspeak that can't be quantified. Your entitled to your opinion.

but doesn’t mean the coaching wasn’t still lacking. These are both true.
I don't blame the coaches for Gil Scott and Clarke shooting 1 for 17 and the team shooting 13 for 23 from the line at the seasons crowning moment. I just don't.  If we win that one game, we're all dancing a jig.

Mullin's shortcomings this season were not having a serviceable big, no bench at all and the Dixon transfer. That's it.  Ok, if you don't like referee abuse you could put that in there.

Overall the coaching deserves a massive amount of praise for reaching the dance as that is quite an achievement at this crappy program. This was as good as it get's. The on court product was just fine and Ponds was a revelation. Those that didn't like it should go root for Puke.  You'll be happier there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:50:46 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
However you don't want to be critical in any way of your beloved figure from yesteryear. I get it.
Please read my above post where I criticize the coach as I have many times in my postings. Vigorously and unjustly criticizing a coach following a massively successful season is stupid.
The only way this team gets better is if you are critical of the areas where they need to improve and coaching is at the top of that list.
What you or I write on a message board has no bearing whatsoever on whether this team gets better or not. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:58:35 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
Disappointing if true. It means that Mullin doesn’t believe there are any improvements that should be made to the staff. Hsu will be busy recruiting and jr will be coaching the team. Same shit.

No, Hsu isn’t one dimensional like Matt. He does it all. He doesn’t get territorial about recruits or  threatened by others recruiting. He will be developing players and contributing to all facets of coaching and game prep.

I sense Mitch will be moved back to advisor but that it won’t get done as quickly as finding Matt’s replacement.

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
No, Hsu isn’t one dimensional like Matt. He does it all. He doesn’t get territorial about recruits or  threatened by others recruiting. He will be developing players and contributing to all facets of coaching and game prep.

I sense Mitch will be moved back to advisor but that it won’t get done as quickly as finding Matt’s replacement.

We need Hsu by the end of this week. He needs to be at the Final 4 working for St. John's.  So much get's done behind the scenes there.

SJUFAN

« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
A lot.Yes.  I'm completely results driven. Angry anti-Mullin fanspeak that can't be quantified. Your entitled to your opinion.I don't blame the coaches for Gil Scott and Clarke shooting 1 for 17 and the team shooting 13 for 23 from the line at the seasons crowning moment. I just don't.  If we win that one game, we're all dancing a jig.

Mullin's shortcomings this season were not having a serviceable big, no bench at all and the Dixon transfer. That's it.  Ok, if you don't like referee abuse you could put that in there.

Overall the coaching deserves a massive amount of praise for reaching the dance as that is quite an achievement at this crappy program. This was as good as it get's. The on court product was just fine and Ponds was a revelation. Those that didn't like it should go root for Puke.  You'll be happier there.

I’m not anti Mullin, I’m anti bad coaching. Saying a team isn’t disciplined is certainly quantifiable, it’s called advanced scouting. If what you say about Mullins shortcomings are true that would be applicable to all coaches and there wouldn’t be a distinction. But there is a distinction, Mullin isn’t as good a coach as Tom Izzo, not because of the players shortcomings, but because after 3 years of being the “Head Coach” of a division I program, he still can’t draw up a play coming out of a time out.

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2019, 05:13:12 PM »
We need Hsu by the end of this week. He needs to be at the Final 4 working for St. John's.  So much get's done behind the scenes there.

What would he accomplish at Final Four? Final Four is mostly for coaches to network amongst coaches to get jobs.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
Please read my above post where I criticize the coach as I have many times in my postings. Vigorously and unjustly criticizing a coach following a massively successful season is stupid.What you or I write on a message board has no bearing whatsoever on whether this team gets better or not.

Saying it was a massively successful season is like saying invading Iraq after 9/11 was a success.

Marillac

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Saying it was a massively successful season is like saying invading Iraq after 9/11 was a success.

Or that that you not being socialized as a pup by your parents was a good move.

Poison

« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
A) The team wasn't lacking.  It made the Ncaa tournament. As a SJ fan that's the best you can hope for and the coaches, players, staff, ad and Bobby deserve credit and applause for that, period.

B) I think who deserves blame, should be none only credit this season, is impossible to determine as they're all tied together. My guess would be about 50 percent coaches, 50 percent players. The other 50 percent referees.

Mullin and staff are the constant. Every year we collapse in BE play. That’s not 50% players. That’s the staff.

« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »
Y'all (SJUFan, Johnny23, Poison and a couple others) are being trolled by a few of these folks.  They don't even believe the shit they're spouting. 

IMO, it's a sad existence to be out of your teens and troll a forum.  I never understood it, but what the F ever. 

Don't respond and this forum will soon go the way of ghost town.

« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2019, 01:20:18 AM »

I’m not anti Mullin, I’m anti bad coaching. Saying a team isn’t disciplined is certainly quantifiable, it’s called advanced scouting. If what you say about Mullins shortcomings are true that would be applicable to all coaches and there wouldn’t be a distinction. But there is a distinction, Mullin isn’t as good a coach as Tom Izzo, not because of the players shortcomings, but because after 3 years of being the “Head Coach” of a division I program, he still can’t draw up a play coming out of a time out.
I can't even understand this.

Johnny23

« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
Or that that you not being socialized as a pup by your parents was a good move.

Or that, that you stuttered and carried a composition book to all of your basic skills classes.

« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »
Just curious- do you guys think and how often do you think Admins in school especially in athletics, Coaches and players read these boards? From our program and other programs.

goredmen

« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1114207356617928704

This Twitter account is all over the place. Sometimes they have great info way before anybody else, other times what they post is complete nonsense.

However, Naclerio tweeted about a month ago that Bobby Hurley was going to be the next coach at SJU and Naclerio doesn't typically do stuff like that.

Perhaps this is the reason they haven't replaced Matt yet?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:57:42 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2019, 02:13:21 PM »
Spurs

« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
Spurs

Becky Hammon will be our next coach?!

« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
Spurs
Rockets. Care to explain what your one word post refers too? What are we supposed to be mind readers?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:37:33 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
Rockets. Care to explain what your one word post refers too? What are we supposed to be mind readers?

Apparently Mullin taking a position with Spurs. Who knows