Apparently Mullin taking a position with Spurs. Who knows
Thx

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
Mack is not coming

« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2019, 04:54:07 PM »
Mack is not coming

Let him go. Id rather see a 4 star more heavily recruited rather then keep this scholarship for a 3 star. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
Let him go. Id rather see a 4 star more heavily recruited rather then keep this scholarship for a 3 star. 

Are you delusional? Who is recruiting this 4 star recruit? Our only recruiter works for Nebraska. We literally don’t have a recruiter on the staff. We are not in with anyone.

lihoop

« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:18 PM »
Is Hsu still in the mix?

« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »
Are you delusional? Who is recruiting this 4 star recruit? Our only recruiter works for Nebraska. We literally don’t have a recruiter on the staff. We are not in with anyone.

Hold it there man, I am saying, if we hired the assistant who would be a recruiter I want him going for 4 and 5 stars. We obviously will hire one we have no other recruiters now! Give him the extra schollie once he is on board to play with.

SJUFAN

« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
Hold it there man, I am saying, if we hired the assistant who would be a recruiter I want him going for 4 and 5 stars. We obviously will hire one we have no other recruiters now! Give him the extra schollie once he is on board to play with.

Ok still not that simple this late in the game. Also the reality is we are not a destination program. We have to build a winning culture. It starts with coaching up 3 and 4 star prospects and overachieving. It begins with coaching.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:53:53 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
Is Hsu still in the mix?

I believe there hasn’t been movement on a assistant coach because the head coach is uncertain.

goredmen

« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
Zach
Sources; Rens AAU director Andy Borman will be considered for Mike Anderson's staff if this gets finished as expected. #sjubb

goredmen

« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2019, 10:05:28 PM »
Slater
First time AD Mike Cragg had zero ties to St.John’s. Brings in a coach who has barely recruited the region in decades (Kareem Reid-St.Raymond’94)...

Watch for Andy Borman (RENs) and Marc Hsu (Western Kentucky) to join the staff. Hsu has been a very effective recruiter. #SJUBB

Tiger

« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »
I hope there is enough money and support to hire some top notch assistants. The last couple weeks must have been rough on Cragg and the administration.  The Repole outburst/article was sort of a program killer or program resurrector.

I'm excited for the future, though next year may be tough.

Let's go Mike!!!!

« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »
It looks like Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland have been longtime assistants of Anderson.  Both have a lot of experience and both were assistants under Anderson at Missouri and Arkansas.  His third assistant, Scotty Thurman, had only been an assistant for 3 years. 

It would seem that at least one of Watkins/Cleveland would come over.  If both came over that would probably be fine too, as it seems like Cleveland has some recruiting chops and could continue to recruit the South.  Definitely need one person with northeast connections though.

If we get one of Hsu/Borman, with Watkins/Cleveland, does that work?  Maybe grab a local to be dobo as well?

SJUFAN

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
It looks like Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland have been longtime assistants of Anderson.  Both have a lot of experience and both were assistants under Anderson at Missouri and Arkansas.  His third assistant, Scotty Thurman, had only been an assistant for 3 years. 

It would seem that at least one of Watkins/Cleveland would come over.  If both came over that would probably be fine too, as it seems like Cleveland has some recruiting chops and could continue to recruit the South.  Definitely need one person with northeast connections though.

If we get one of Hsu/Borman, with Watkins/Cleveland, does that work?  Maybe grab a local to be dobo as well?

One will work imo. As long as they are willing to work and develop relationships the fact that they don’t have them now is over blown. They’re professionals and know what it takes.

sju89tr

« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »

I would imagine that it will be Borman and Hsu (assuming they both take job) and one of Watkins/Cleveland. Need two guys that know tyhe Northeast.

Kind of liken this to when Jarvis only brought in Player to assist Deuce and Clark. 

I do not think GSJ stays in any capacity.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:51:41 PM by sju89tr »

SJUFAN

« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »
I do not think GSJ stays in any capacity.

Nor would we want him to.

Marillac

« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »
Zach says Borman and Zags says Hsu.  Slater says both.

I dont know what Watkins means to Anderson in terms of x's and o's, game prep, and development, but I'm guessing he will be here.

TJ Cleveland is his nephew (along with DeMarre Carroll of the Nets) according to wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Personal_life

I would expect both Cleveland and Watkins to join Anderson here. 

sju89tr

« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2019, 03:00:40 PM »
Zach says Borman and Zags says Hsu.  Slater says both.

I dont know what Watkins means to Anderson in terms of x's and o's, game prep, and development, but I'm guessing he will be here.

TJ Cleveland is his nephew (along with DeMarre Carroll of the Nets) according to wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Personal_life

I would expect both Cleveland and Watkins to join Anderson here. 

If both come then I think Borman will be the recruiter. He can't be DOBO. Money also has to come into play as Borman will be cheaper than Hsu. We need an experienced DOBO as well.   

Marillac

« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
If both come then I think Borman will be the recruiter. He can't be DOBO. Money also has to come into play as Borman will be cheaper than Hsu. We need an experienced DOBO as well.   

That's what I think as well unless maybe Watkins takes a Gene Keady type role.  Cleveland and Watkins have good recruiting reputations and Watkins has a strong resume as a coach. 

But if Borman isn't hired until July we don't have a single guy with knowledge of the region on staff.

sju89tr

« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
That's what I think as well unless maybe Watkins takes a Gene Keady type role.  Cleveland and Watkins have good recruiting reputations and Watkins has a strong resume as a coach. 

But if Borman isn't hired until July we don't have a single guy with knowledge of the region on staff.

The hire has to be today LOL

« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2019, 05:49:43 AM »
The hire has to be today LOL
It would be smart to wait on making it official with borman to allow him to coach the aau kids for as long as possible.