• 364 replies

goredmen

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »
TJ Cleveland expected to come aboard this week per Zags

QuanMan

« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
A fast rising AC who's been w CMA for years, former Arkansas lead guard who should develop our backcourt quite nicely:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/tj-cleveland/
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
Hsu just got another guy, Lipscomb transfer Kenny Cooper has signed with Western Kentucky. Averaged 9.8 PPG and 4.5 APG last season....that's the 2nd player in a few days to commit to WKU...

Marillac

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
Hsu just got another guy, Lipscomb transfer Kenny Cooper has signed with Western Kentucky. Averaged 9.8 PPG and 4.5 APG last season....that's the 2nd player in a few days to commit to WKU...

I guess he’s trying to play games with Lipscomb for a job too.

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
Scotty Thurman was not retained at Arkansas, that could be huge news for St. John’s if Thurman comes with CMA.

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
Scotty Thurman was not retained at Arkansas, that could be huge news for St. John’s if Thurman comes with CMA.

What makes this "huge news", is Scotty a good coach & recruiter? Just asking.

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
What makes this "huge news", is Scotty a good coach & recruiter? Just asking.
good recruiter and developer of shooters, it helps when you hit a game winning shot in the natty

QuanMan

« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2019, 12:19:10 AM »
With Melvin Watkins rumored to be retiring, attention now shifts to who will be CMA's right hand man. Scotty Thurman could be a name on the bench w a spot now open, as could up and coming AC Kim English, a Iron Mike disciple. Imo both are too young to be a lead assistant, especially when there should atleast 1-2 spots that should be local.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2019, 01:08:10 AM »
With Melvin Watkins rumored to be retiring, attention now shifts to who will be CMA's right hand man. Scotty Thurman could be a name on the bench w a spot now open, as could up and coming AC Kim English, a Iron Mike disciple. Imo both are too young to be a lead assistant, especially when there should atleast 1-2 spots that should be local.

Pass on Kim English. I liked him better as a player than I do a coach. Perhaps he's mellowed a bit with age but he blown up a few bridges bridges with players + coaches.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
The inner circle for Coach Anderson is TJ Cleveland (nephew), Melvin Watkins (who may be ready to retire, but his son Manny played for Mike at Arkansas and is very tight with Coach, Matt Zimmerman (Arkansas guy, worked with Coach at UAB, Mizzou and Arkansas), Scotty Thurman, Pat Bradley (SEC analyst, Massachusetts native) and Lee Mayberry (former NBA player and All-American at Arkansas) as well as Kareem Reid (NY guy who has been close to Coach for a long time)......It should be noted that at each stop, Coach Anderson has retained various members from the previous regime (Watkins was assistant for Quinn Snyder and Mike retained him at Mizzou and they are now like brothers) so perhaps a current St. John's person will be on the new staff?

« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
Pat Bradley on staff?? That would be cool as he is a well-know Northeast guy

« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »
Pat Bradley on staff?? That would be cool as he is a well-know Northeast guy

Back in 2008 when there was speculation Nolan Richardson might be taking the job at Arkansas State (he talked with them and then ended up passing) Pat Bradley was  mentioned as a possible staff member. He is tight with Mike and spent a good deal of time at the Anderson house when he played for the Razorbacks and Mike was an assistant.

pmg911

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
good recruiter and developer of shooters, it helps when you hit a game winning shot in the natty

what does hitting a shot in National Championship game have to do with being a good coach...?

« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
what does hitting a shot in National Championship game have to do with being a good coach...?
It gives you a certain amount of gravitas with recruits and your pupils and popularity with the fan base.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:46:38 AM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
Why is no one thinking of St Jean as an assistant?

pmg911

« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »
It gives you a certain amount of gravitas with recruits and your pupils and popularity with the fan base.

Why not go hire Kris Jenkins if that is what we need..? I bet coaching at St. John's pays as well as professional basketball in Germany.

Does this also mean that Michael Jordan would make a good coach..? or maybe Keith Smart..?

None of the kids were are recruiting were alive in 1994..

Marillac

« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
Why not go hire Kris Jenkins if that is what we need..? I bet coaching at St. John's pays as well as professional basketball in Germany.

Does this also mean that Michael Jordan would make a good coach..? or maybe Keith Smart..?

None of the kids were are recruiting were alive in 1994..

I believe he was referring to winning over recruits. It’s one thing for a guy like Matt to say come to this we can make you better and another for someone to say “I did it myself. On the biggest stage. In the biggest moment. I know what it takes.”  I know I ‘d listen. Scotty Thurman was actually one of my favorite players due to my age and just getting into basketball that year he was awesome.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:12:37 PM by Marillac »

SJUFAN

« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
Why is no one thinking of St Jean as an assistant?

Explain to me why CMA would want a coach that doesn’t coach defense and doesn’t recruit or develop players? What’s the love affair with GSJ? He’s a hard worker, yes, but so are many other more qualified coaches who don’t get the opportunity cause their daddy didn’t coach in the league.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:35:30 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
Explain to me why CMA would want a coach that doesn’t coach defense and doesn’t recruit or develop players? What’s the love affair with GSJ? He’s a hard worker, yes, but so are many other more qualified coaches who don’t get the opportunity cause their daddy didn’t coach in the league.

He was put into a position that he wasn’t ready for. He could one day be, but not having a strategy to stop the bleeding in Feb reeks of an unprepared staff.

At least, that’s what it looks like to me. We don’t really know how much of an influence he had on the team’s strategy, but I’m guessing a lot.

OR, Did Mullin just let him do it all so he could spend his time yelling at the refs?

Either way, I’ve asked this before and it’s not intended to slight him, but what is it that people are talking about regarding GSJ?

Watching the games was our only reference to pull from. We folded last year. The previous two years we had a load of top 100 kids and we didn’t sniff the NIT in either season.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:53:31 PM by Poison »