Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

sju89tr

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/10/sources-st-johns-is-talking-to-ionas-tim-cluess/

If we end up with Cluess, I think I am done with St Johns basketball. Lives through the Mahoney, Roberts years. Would be terrible.   

goredmen

« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
I remember it being talked about around here that Mike Cragg's lack of experience with hiring men's basketball coaches could become an issue at some point. Still time for it to work out but that lack of experience could be hurting here.

The longer this goes without Hurley the less chance he has of coming. If this had been rumored for months and people were describing it as a "done deal" then it shouldn't be taking this long to finalize especially considering Hurley being the top choice was made public right away.

Cragg needs to have a home run hire here. He sees Hurley as a home run, and he's as close to a home run as we'll get. Tim Cluess is not a home run. I just can't see Cragg going with him.

« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »
So wrong on your part. Read what Coach K (there’s your Duke connection) before last year’s opening round game in Pittsburgh.

TONYD3

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
If you rebuild it, they will dumb:

http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Sorry, I wanted you to get that big erection. I wish the empty suit would have come through for you.
Coach Mullin’s was legend’s champions. Can’t take that away from him!

Foad

« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
I wanted you to get that big erection.

I'm flattered by how much time you spend thinking about my big erection. I mean, you mention it often enough. Curious: what am I wearing when you want me to get a big erection? Something frilly? And silk I hope. Silk is hot. FYI I look good in green, it makes my eyes pop. Curious: when you think about wanting me to have a big erection is my big erection throbbing and blood engorged? I bet it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that. You're right though, it is big, my big erection erection. And it throbs. God does it throb. It's probably not as big and throbbing as you imagine it to be, but it's big and throbbing enough. For a gym teacher anyway.

« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2019, 09:27:54 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/10/sources-st-johns-is-talking-to-ionas-tim-cluess/

If we end up with Cluess, I think I am done with St Johns basketball. Lives through the Mahoney, Roberts years. Would be terrible.   

Nothing was worse than Roberts

« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2019, 10:09:31 PM »
It's an insult to Cluess to compare him to Norm.  As noted, Cluess has won everywhere, literally everywhere, he's been.  Are there concerns about his ability to do it on a higher level?  Sure.  Is he the best option right now if we can't lure Hurley and they don't want to deal with the Pitino stuff?  Probably.

TONYD3

« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:01 PM »
I'm flattered by how much time you spend thinking about my big erection. I mean, you mention it often enough. Curious: what am I wearing when you want me to get a big erection? Something frilly? And silk I hope. Silk is hot. FYI I look good in green, it makes my eyes pop. Curious: when you think about wanting me to have a big erection is my big erection throbbing and blood engorged? I bet it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that. You're right though, it is big, my big erection erection. And it throbs. God does it throb. It's probably not as big and throbbing as you imagine it to be, but it's big and throbbing enough. For a gym teacher anyway.
One more time and I will drop it. Told u so!

« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »
Those that don't want Cluess, why?

I'm not an expert on his career or have watched Iona basketball extensively, but he seems to fill alot of boxes:
New Yorker
Long family history at SJU
Proven he can win wherever he's been
Basketball lifer
NCAA experience (albeit no wins)
Has coached some quality talent
Seems respected amongst local coaches and trusted basketball guys.

Is his defensive philosophy that bad?

Poison

« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2019, 01:29:52 AM »

I'm not an expert on his career or have watched Iona basketball extensively, but he seems to fill alot of boxes:
New Yorker
Basketball lifer

They don’t think he can do it at a high major level. Thing is, he hasn’t had that job yet.

SJUFAN

« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2019, 02:37:12 AM »
They don’t think he can do it at a high major level. Thing is, he hasn’t had that job yet.

That’s the problem imo. He’s 60, not 40. For him not to be given the chance says something. His defense is putrid.

« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:24 AM »

In regards to the point about regression- stats do not always tell the story. Some of the must-win games I felt he did not play to caliber. Turnovers, bad shots.

I think also the Duke game was very revealing (with surefire NBA talent on that squad). I was hoping that game he would have had his Moe "moment" at Cameron and punch his ticket to first round but it was not to be. Out of all the games this season- that was prob the most realistic to gauge NBA potential and he fell woefully short. I know he played well last year against them at home but away at Cameron I felt that was a better gauge. Moe dropped 30 there and I think that game helped him punch his ticket to be honest.
Ok so let me get this straight. The argument supporting the ridiculous theory that Ponds regressed this season is that he didn't play well against Duke on the road? Sometimes I feel like I'm up to my neck in sh*t on this board.

« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
Ok so let me get this straight. The argument supporting the ridiculous theory that Ponds regressed this season is that he didn't play well against Duke on the road? Sometimes I feel like I'm up to my neck in sh*t on this board.

Its one example. I just put it out there to show that the game at Duke proved to me he is not an NBA player. I was on the fence about this before that game. For a team stocked with NBA level talent he did not perform well against them. That is the best look you will get, the other teams we played this year did not have that high level of talent to that degree as known NBA spread out throughout their team. You can say well Ponds supporting cast was weak so that hurt him, but that does not work- Moe's supporting cast had no depth and were young freshman. They were seemingly overmatched but still gave a fight AND Moe dropped 30 as the best one. That was Moe's NBA game or at least one of the significant ones.

sju89tr

« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
My major problem with Cluess is that I just don't think at the age of 60 and having never coached at a high Div I level that he has to juice to get kids that Seton Hall or U Conn wants locally. He won't keep kids from going to the ACC or another football conference. He does not coach D and we have killed every SJU coach on this topic for years. He will score points with his gimmick offense.

If you are pushing Mullin out the door, you need to hire a 'potential home run" I don't know if Bobby Hurley is that home run or that he will stay a long time but he is an upgrade over CM as a coach. Honestly if you ain't getting Hurley, your next call is to Pitino as he is the only guy that can save this program.       

Poison

« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
My major problem with Cluess is that I just don't think at the age of 60 and having never coached at a high Div I level that he has to juice to get kids that Seton Hall or U Conn wants locally. He won't keep kids from going to the ACC or another football conference. He does not coach D and we have killed every SJU coach on this topic for years. He will score points with his gimmick offense.

If you are pushing Mullin out the door, you need to hire a 'potential home run" I don't know if Bobby Hurley is that home run or that he will stay a long time but he is an upgrade over CM as a coach. Honestly if you ain't getting Hurley, your next call is to Pitino as he is the only guy that can save this program.       

Pitino is a risk they won’t take. If he was someone they would have accepted he be first on the list. I don’t know who is on the new braintrust, but the old braintrust didn’t like Pitino. No idea why.

Hurley has a successful and honest NY image. That’s who they want. That’s who makes sense.

Get it done Cragg!

« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2019, 11:18:54 AM »

The real problem here is they pushed Mullin out the door via speculation that Hurley would take the gig. If he doesn't come here I think Cragg will have done a very poor job. Hurley also isn't an X and O guru. His defense is not good

Pitino would be another level but the chances of that are very slim to none. Why has he not been connected to other big time programs with openings?

Cluess just has that throw me anywhere and I will win mentality. To take jobs at CW Post,Suffolk CC, and even Iona you have to believe in your ability and have a genuine love for hoops.

Marillac

« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2019, 11:30:52 AM »

New Yorker
Basketball lifer

He’s never rebuilt a program. He’s always had better players. He brought an unfair level of talent with him to Suffolk and then Post. He inherited a 21-win tournament team at Iona within Michael Glover and Machado. Then he was gifted Momo after he wasn’t allowed to come here.

Glover/Momo/Machado/Armand v . the MAAC would be like us playing the Big East with with Nets roster.

His team ranked 270 in offensive rebounding, 193 in assists, and top 50 in treys per gsme.

« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
Its one example. I just put it out there to show that the game at Duke proved to me he is not an NBA player. I was on the fence about this before that game. For a team stocked with NBA level talent he did not perform well against them. That is the best look you will get, the other teams we played this year did not have that high level of talent to that degree as known NBA spread out throughout their team. You can say well Ponds supporting cast was weak so that hurt him, but that does not work- Moe's supporting cast had no depth and were young freshman. They were seemingly overmatched but still gave a fight AND Moe dropped 30 as the best one. That was Moe's NBA game or at least one of the significant ones.
Ok. Last season against Duke he led us to victory with 33 pts and 7 boards.

« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
Ok. Last season against Duke he led us to victory with 33 pts and 7 boards.

At home and that was a different Duke team- this Duke team had multiple known NBA lottery picks and was a true NBA test. You go to Cameron and have a game against what you would face in the NBA at a hostile court your a sure fire first rounder. The other decent games he had would be icing. Moe shined when he needed to against them and people took notice. Made the case for first rounder, Ponds did not.

Poison

« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
l
He’s never rebuilt a program. He’s always had better players. He brought an unfair level of talent with him to Suffolk and then Post. He inherited a 21-win tournament team at Iona within Michael Glover and Machado. Then he was gifted Momo after he wasn’t allowed to come here.

Glover/Momo/Machado/Armand v . the MAAC would be like us playing the Big East with with Nets roster.

His team ranked 270 in offensive rebounding, 193 in assists, and top 50 in treys per gsme.

It’s true he did inherit players. Like Jarvis did. Except when it was his turn to recruit Jarvis brought us Donald Emanuel, Albert Richardson, Heath Orvis and Alpha Bangura.

Cluess recruited AJ English who would have started at St.John’s, David Laury and Jordan Washington. They also would have started and they would have played well in the BE.

The MAAC has had many name coaches. Any of them put up numbers like Cluess?

In order to build a sustainable winning program we have to succeed where it’s possible. We can’t sell facilities right now but we can find more talent simply by looking harder for it. Cluess led a staff that did it. We are the failed transfer game experiment. They are the success story.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:37:30 PM by Poison »