Justin Simon

• 49 replies

sju89tr

Re: Justin Simon
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
Justin turned 23 this week. After a prep year at Brewster, 1 at Arizona and 3 here he's ready to make some money and I don't blame him.

Exactly

Poison

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 11:15:02 AM »
Simon probably has gotten as much out of college that he will get. He is destined for a career overseas and may not be good enough for a top Euro division. But there is money to be made in Israel, Czech, Japan, etc. Look at Hardy who is much more accomplished scorer has bounced around. He won't get drafted but I guess can make an impression during a summer league stint to get a developmental deal. I don't think a year under Anderson is going to change much for him but yes him coming back would help SJU immensly.     

What would the board have said about Dom Pointer before his senior year? Did anyone see him putting it all together like that?

Before 14-15, Pointer had some success, but for the most part he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. He worked on his shot and it was lethal his senior year. It opened up his entire game and I think we can all agree that he reached his full potential.

If Pointer wanted to give up on his NBA dream, he can go to Europe because he’s a well rounded baller now.

Who is getting that million dollar contract? Dom Pointer or Justin Simon?

We’ll see what happens. IMO, he’s not ready, and he could be an NBA draft pick he comes back and works on his game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:16:40 AM by Poison »

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
Simon is still attending class, so the door would be open if what JumpinJohnny posted is correct.
I think Simon would be tremendous in a 40 minutes of hell style of defense.
Marillac, do you have any solid sources that he is still attending classes? If that's true he's at least entertaining the idea of potentially returning.

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »
Marillac, do you have any solid sources that he is still attending classes? If that's true he's at least entertaining the idea of potentially returning.

or maybe he wants to get his degree..?

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
or maybe he wants to get his degree..?
Wasn't it mentioned that he was quite a few credits short when the idea of him being a grad transfer was floated around
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:44:59 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

sju89tr

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »
Wasn't it mentioned that he was quite a few credits short when the idea of him being a grad transfer was floated around

He wasn't set to graduate so no transfer

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
I never blame these kids for wanting to choose their path because I don't know the personal circumstances.  If he is close to a degree, I hope he gets it now or at some point down the road.

On the court, I do think he would absolutely thrive in Anderson's system and there could be some senior year Dom moments although Dom I believe was bigger which enabled him to play the 4 man role effectively which was the best fit for him by the end of his college career (and why he was so good as a senior).

Exactly

sju89tr

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
I never blame these kids for wanting to choose their path because I don't know the personal circumstances.  If he is close to a degree, I hope he gets it now or at some point down the road.

On the court, I do think he would absolutely thrive in Anderson's system and there could be some senior year Dom moments although Dom I believe was bigger which enabled him to play the 4 man role effectively which was the best fit for him by the end of his college career (and why he was so good as a senior).

If I recally correctly I think Dom had more to gain by coming back for his senior year. I think he had a poor junior year but i may just be forgetting. Dom really was a star his senior year. 

Foad

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
If I recally correctly I think Dom had more to gain by coming back for his senior year. I think he had a poor junior year but i may just be forgetting. Dom really was a star his senior year. 

Pointer stunk for three years. His senior transformation was Cain-esque.

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
Simon will make more money overseas than average graduate will make in a 9-5 job.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »
Simon will make more money overseas than average graduate will make in a 9-5 job.
No shit. Obviously a college degree is meaningless to the majority of high d-1 level players.  The question is whether or not Simon could make more money overseas after another very good year at St Johns or has he already reached his max earning potential.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:10:39 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Foad

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
No shit. Obviously a college degree is meaningless to the majority of high d-1 level players.

You missplet student-athlete.

The question is whether or not Simon could make more money overseas after another very good year at St Johns or has he already reached his max earning potential.

No. There's not "the" question, there's lots of questions.  For example: what does Justin Simon want to do with Justin Simon's life? That's a question you missed. Perhaps the answer is: not forego his earning potential to gratify the selfish wishes of the worst fan base in all of sports; maybe he hates college; maybe he hates  Queens; maybe he just wants to get on with his life as opposed to suffering through another pointless rebuilding year. Or here's another: could Justin Simon make more money in two years in Europe after having a good year in a Euro league next year than he could having a good year at St John's next year and PS the answer to that one is obvious.

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 07:37:10 PM »
You missplet student-athlete.

No. There's not "the" question, there's lots of questions.  For example: what does Justin Simon want to do with Justin Simon's life? That's a question you missed. Perhaps the answer is: not forego his earning potential to gratify the selfish wishes of the worst fan base in all of sports; maybe he hates college; maybe he hates  Queens; maybe he just wants to get on with his life as opposed to suffering through another pointless rebuilding year. Or here's another: could Justin Simon make more money in two years in Europe after having a good year in a Euro league next year than he could having a good year at St John's next year and PS the answer to that one is obvious.

I don’t disagree with your sentiment but you left out the option of him having a bad year oversees next year. Maybe he’s not ready. Maybe he’ll be better prepared to make a first impression on a euro team after another year in college? Either way your point on Justin Simon doing whatever’s best for Justin Simon is all that matters.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
I don’t disagree with your sentiment but you left out the option of him having a bad year oversees next year. Maybe he’s not ready. Maybe he’ll be better prepared to make a first impression on a euro team after another year in college? Either way your point on Justin Simon doing whatever’s best for Justin Simon is all that matters.

I don't pretend to know how JS will perform next year, whether in the NBA or the euro league or at SJ and I don't pretend to know how any of that would effect his long term prospects. But speaking of options left out ("you left out the option of him having a bad year" [in Europe]) - and yeah, maybe he does and it does - an option left out is that maybe he has a bad year next year at SJ because he fails to adapt to the system or the system does not flatter his talents or whatever and then where is he? He does not seem to me to be a player who's going to have a transformative year, but I'm often wrong.

Posters tend to project expectations on players. What would I do if I were this guy, except if I were me. I don't like that. Who thought that Jakarr Sampson would be better off leaving school and working out on his own and would end up making the league? Almost no one. But it turns out that Sampson knew what was best for Sampson. Maybe Simon knows what's best for Simon. And if he doesn't know at least he's made his own mistake. I'm not trying to be the wise old owl here. Maybe Simon ends up like Lenny Cooke working at UPS. Or maybe he ends up like Omar Cook and makes millions of dollars playing a kids game, despite the bad decision posters claim to this day he made.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »

I don’t like posting about private matters like academics, but Simon is still in class and (since it is already out there) he will not have enough credits to graduate after the semester.

Ponds, I’ve heard from several people, has not been on campus.

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »
I don’t like posting about private matters like academics, but Simon is still in class and (since it is already out there) he will not have enough credits to graduate after the semester.

Ponds, I’ve heard from several people, has not been on campus.

Completely understand.  Sorry for asking. Really appreciate the info.  It's very interesting that Simon is making such an effort to keep attending school.

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:50 PM »
Justin Simon is most important recruit for Mike Anderson. I think he brings +7 wins for next season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »
Justin Simon is most important recruit for Mike Anderson. I think he brings +7 wins for next season.

What position are you seeing Simon playing for CMA? 

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »
Braziller reporting on twitter that Justin Simon has decided to stay in the draft.  CMA and staff reached out to gauge his interest in returning but Simon's father told Braziller the family feels he is ready for the next level.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1133444409922588674

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
He'll barely make a living playing ball overseas somewhere. Bon voyage.