2nd Signee- Damien Sears

• 107 replies

Poison

Re: 2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:14 AM »
Autopsy:

He as a good recruiter who as far as we know ran a clean program. He disciplined his players appropriately and discretely. He did not recruit any felons or sociopaths; he did not allow any future mass murderers to walk-on. He did not suffer from a DSM-IV personality disorder and was not a completely self-serving histrionic bullshit artist. On the other hand his staff was poorly constructed and his system was better suited to more mature players. He was no better or worse an in-game coach than the last several guys and anyway in game coaching is overrated.

If you’re going to hold Lavin accountable for his walk ons should Lou Carnesecca be held accountable for recruiting Jayson Williams? Should Fran Fraschilla be held accountable for recruiting Ron Artest?

You have a convenient memory.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
Ponds, Heron, Simon, Williams, Lovett, Yakwe, Keita and Wright were all four or five star recruits. LJF and Ahmed were JUCO AA's. Dixon and Caraher were POTY in lesser conferences. Maybe that's not good recruiting but it'll do till good recruiting comes along.

No one thinks that Mullin made a mistake by recruiting those players. He didn’t recruit a front court, and we were destroyed the last three weeks in the paint because of it.

But your point is more than fair. To say that Mullin and staff couldn’t recruit or didn’t is unreasonable. They certainly did.

If Mullin is a good recruiter, why did we collapse in late February/March because of bad luck?

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
I have no knowledge whatsoever about how he recruited; how and where he spent his time as coach; what role he did or didn't have in practice; how hard or soft he worked; or what coaching staff dynamics were like. My knowledge and opinion of his coaching is based solely on game day observation.
What did you observe? I base my opinion on what I observed also. If you answer honestly you couldn’t be happy with what you saw.

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »
Ponds, Heron, Simon, Williams, Lovett, Yakwe, Keita and Wright were all four or five star recruits. LJF and Ahmed were JUCO AA's. Dixon and Caraher were POTY in lesser conferences. Maybe that's not good recruiting but it'll do till good recruiting comes along.

If I looked I bet I could find 10 posts where this guy said the talent was overrated.
I actually agree with this post. Mullin brought in enough top talent to compete here. Like Lavin his secondary talent wasn’t good enough.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
If you’re going to hold Lavin accountable for his walk ons should Lou Carnesecca be held accountable for recruiting Jayson Williams? Should Fran Fraschilla be held accountable for recruiting Ron Artest?

Ah, not really. Williams and Artest are mentally ill and for the most part their transgressions occurred many years after college (Williams I can recall throwing a chair, in Providence maybe) and only after coddled childhoods and delayed adulthood interrupted by long periods of depraved NBA living. Whereas Lavin's walk on went on a killing spree 6-months after learning life skills from Steve "there are more important things than winning" Lavin. Much like R Jordan, who Lavin sacrificed in a failed attempt to salvage his career and reputation, who's currently being raped in the prison shower.

Foad

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
If Mullin is a good recruiter, why did we collapse in late February/March because of bad luck?

Year before last because of Lovett, obviously. Last year I think they got a bit tuckered out and a bit lazy and when the other coaches figured out to game plan their lack of height and depth the staff didn't adjust well to that.

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2019, 04:19:16 PM »
Year before last because of Lovett, obviously. Last year I think they got a bit tuckered out and a bit lazy and when the other coaches figured out to game plan their lack of height and depth the staff didn't adjust well to that.

I 1000% agree with this post. Its spot on. I guess thats why I was so frustrated with he end of the season. I expected so much more

Poison

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »
Ah, not really. Williams and Artest are mentally ill and for the most part their transgressions occurred many years after college (Williams I can recall throwing a chair, in Providence maybe) and only after coddled childhoods and delayed adulthood interrupted by long periods of depraved NBA living. Whereas Lavin's walk on went on a killing spree 6-months after learning life skills from Steve "there are more important things than winning" Lavin. Much like R Jordan, who Lavin sacrificed in a failed attempt to salvage his career and reputation, who's currently being raped in the prison shower.

So, Lavin sacrificed Rysheed Jordan?

Right as usual.

Foad

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 05:11:31 PM »
So, Lavin sacrificed Rysheed Jordan?

Right as usual.

Yes I know. Instead of showing RJ that actions have consequences he turned a blind eye to his behavior - just as every alleged adult had before him - because he was coaching for a contract. Hence prison rather than the NBA.

TONYD3

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
Yes I know. Instead of showing RJ that actions have consequences he turned a blind eye to his behavior - just as every alleged adult had before him - because he was coaching for a contract. Hence prison rather than the NBA.
Imagine if he suspended him like Harrison. You would have found fault in that. You are full of cocky!
If Jordan wasn’t troubled, St. John’s had no chance in signing him. NO ONE on this board suggested we passing on him. He played 2 good years. Our core guys seemed to like him. Our core guys still like our former coach. Harrison and those guys should have won more games. They were much better then going through the motions teams.

Foad

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »
Imagine

This is what I imagine you look like when you're trying to think

Poison

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »

What were the crimes that Jordan committed while he was attending STJ and playing for Lavin?

FYI, tardiness isn’t a crime.

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:30 AM »
Maybe you can evaluate how he tied his shoes or sat on the score's table or cursed out the refs.
Nah, that's well chronicled material already.

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:39 AM »
What was his record against the bottom feeders of the big east? He did create some buzz and a rise in attendance because of who he was and how the season started I agree with that. I mean Lavin beat 3rd Ranked Duke, 4th ranked Pitt, and a slew of other ranked teams under his tenure, who cares? He recruited DLO and Pointer
If you're trying to convince me that Hollywood had a better tenure here than the legend there is no need. Everyone knows that and your just preaching to the choir.

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:40 AM »
If you truly based your opinion of him only off his game day coaching then it's really mind boggling how you think he was getting the job done.
It's quite simple really. He qualified for the Ncaa tournament. For us that is getting the job done and then some.

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2019, 01:01:18 AM »
What did you observe? I base my opinion on what I observed also. If you answer honestly you couldn’t be happy with what you saw.
Years one and two I knew we were just outclassed so I wasn't unhappy. Year 3 I thought we had a chance to dance until Lovett went home so I was unhappy. Year 4 we danced so I was happy.  The late season swoon tempered my happiness a bit.

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2019, 06:11:10 AM »
If you're trying to convince me that Hollywood had a better tenure here than the legend there is no need. Everyone knows that and your just preaching to the choir.

Fair enough, we agree that Lavin was better. I respect your opinion but I guess we just disagree about Mullin. But I do think that we both agree we hope this coach is more successful than both prior coaches

Foad

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:09 AM »
What were the crimes that Jordan committed while he was attending STJ and playing for Lavin?

Where did I say Jordan committed crimes while attending STJ and playing for Lavin?

FYI, tardiness isn’t a crime.

You're lucky retardiness isn't a crime or you'd have been hung long ago.

Poison

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2019, 07:49:37 AM »
Where did I say Jordan committed crimes while attending STJ and playing for Lavin?

You're lucky retardiness isn't a crime or you'd have been hung long ago.

You’re lucky that making shit up isn’t a crime. Actually, it is the norm now, so I guess you’re en Vogue. Congrats.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »
What was his record against the bottom feeders of the big east? He did create some buzz and a rise in attendance because of who he was and how the season started I agree with that. I mean Lavin beat 3rd Ranked Duke, 4th ranked Pitt, and a slew of other ranked teams under his tenure, who cares? He recruited DLO and Pointer

Lest we forget, he also recruited Keith (fake transcript) Thomas ;)