Is early season lack of attendance concerning?

• 140 replies

Foad

Re: Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
So heritage and history mean nothing. Take a peek at their facilities in comparison to ours...

https://tulsahurricane.com/sports/2015/6/9/facilities.aspx

My guess is salary would probably be around 1.3 - 1.5 mil which is probably on par with what St. John's is paying him

Just because it was good enough for Bill Self and Tubby Smith doesn't mean it's good enough for CTC.

cjfish

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
My first memories of St. John’s basketball were a decade after Mullin last played. Your stupidity forces you to reduce everything down to a dichotomy to comprehend.

Mullin bad. Marillac love Mullin. Mullin no win championship. Tony D hate Mullin. 12-0 St. John’s no make Tony D happy.

The 12-0 start was meaningless.  Mullin didn't develop his bench and by February they were fatigued, largely due to playing too many minutes.  Who cares about 12-0 against cupcakes?  Under 500 in the conference with the talent he had was ridiculous.

TONYD3

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
Having been turned down by his top two choices and with various mid major coaches preemptively begging not to be offered the job our alleged big time AD in a panic calls a former player of his former boss begging for help in finding anyone - anyone - to take the job.

Makes the alleged big time AD look like a bit of a small time putz.

Don't you agree?
Only people who feel that way is you and a few others. His goal was to get a coach and he did that.

TONYD3

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »
My first memories of St. John’s basketball were a decade after Mullin last played. Your stupidity forces you to reduce everything down to a dichotomy to comprehend.

Mullin bad. Marillac love Mullin. Mullin no win championship. Tony D hate Mullin. 12-0 St. John’s no make Tony D happy.
Last year you swayed a bunch of people. By the end of the season, many agreed with you stupid assessment that the schedule wasn’t ridiculously soft. What was your motivation? You couldn’t have really believed that. 3rd place team in the MAC can’t be a signature win?

I don’t believe you actually watched game film of last years team. If you did and came away impressed, that’s kind of scary.
If he isn’t your hero then WHY? For some reason I want to know. You can’t actually believe he tried or was (this is funny) a below average coach. (Why would a school want a below average coach is a discussion for another day)
What is your agenda? Why are St. John’s fans so bad? There were plenty at Mohegan sun. There were plenty At the big east tournament.
Our coach isn’t going to Tulsa. If he does go, our AD will just hire another coach. But why would he leave. Tulsa isn’t anywhere close to being as good a job as St. John’s. If you believe differently, what the hell are you doing here?
Keep bashing the coach, AD, and players all you want. Please just tell us why?

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
Last year you swayed a bunch of people. By the end of the season, many agreed with you stupid assessment that the schedule wasn’t ridiculously soft. What was your motivation? You couldn’t have really believed that. 3rd place team in the MAC can’t be a signature win?

I don’t believe you actually watched game film of last years team. If you did and came away impressed, that’s kind of scary.
If he isn’t your hero then WHY? For some reason I want to know. You can’t actually believe he tried or was (this is funny) a below average coach. (Why would a school want a below average coach is a discussion for another day)
What is your agenda? Why are St. John’s fans so bad? There were plenty at Mohegan sun. There were plenty At the big east tournament.
Our coach isn’t going to Tulsa. If he does go, our AD will just hire another coach. But why would he leave. Tulsa isn’t anywhere close to being as good a job as St. John’s. If you believe differently, what the hell are you doing here?
Because he is Marillwhack!

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 03:09:46 PM »

What was my “motivation” for posting that last year’s schedule wasn’t that weak? Obviously world domination, and I came oh so close too until my plans were thwarted in the 11th hour.

My “agenda” has been exposed by Tony D. Outwitted by a dimwit.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2019, 03:11:36 PM »

The 12-0 start was meaningless.  Mullin didn't develop his bench and by February they were fatigued, largely due to playing too many minutes.  Who cares about 12-0 against cupcakes?  Under 500 in the conference with the talent he had was ridiculous.

What bench?

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
The 12-0 start was meaningless.   
Meaningless?  Why didn't the Ncaa tournament selection committee share your opinion that it was meaningless?

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
Its Tulsa dude.  Have you lost your mind?  Comparing tulsa basketball to st johns is ridiculous. 

It’s only ridiculous for someone that doesn’t want to look at objective facts and wants to rely on emotion and personal bias.

I’d say let’s compare the programs from the turn of the century, but that would be too lopsided for for Tulsa so let’s include the 1998-99 Elite Eight Team. Tulsa made the second round of the tournament in 98-99 and then made the Elite Eight the following year. They made the second round in 2002 and 2003. The last time we won a tournament game was 2000.

They’ve won 20 or more games 10 times since the start of the 2000-2001 season. We’ve done that just six times.

I’ll spare you the overall records over the last 20 years since we all know we lose that to everyone.

Our fans are like a woman that has been divorced 6x and blames the ex husbands.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:04:44 PM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »
It’s only ridiculous for someone that doesn’t want to look at objective facts and wants to rely on emotion and personal bias.

I’d say let’s compare the programs from the turn of the century, but that would be two lopsided for for Tulsa so let’s include the 1998-99 Elite Eight Team. Tulsa made the second round of the tournament in 98-99 and then made the Elite Eight the following year. They made the second round in 2002 and 2003. The last time we won a tournament game was 2000.

They’ve won 20 or more games 10 times since the start of the 2000-2001 season. We’ve done that just six times.

I’ll spare you the overall records over the last 20 years since we all know we lose that to everyone.

Dude, it's Tulsa. No casual observer outside of Tornado alley gives a rat's ass about them. Whereas, even though we've sucked for the better part of the last 15 years, we're still in the BE, still in NYC and still got MSG (well kinda on the MSG part).

It's just the way it is. Anderson's Tulsa days are long past. He wants a real challenge and wants to do it in the bright lights.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
Meaningless?  Why didn't the Ncaa tournament selection committee share your opinion that it was meaningless?
I thought the committee made a mistake.

TONYD3

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

I’d say let’s compare the programs from the turn of the century, but that would be two lopsided for for Tulsa so let’s include the 1998-99 Elite Eight Team. Tulsa made the second round of the tournament in 98-99 and then made the Elite Eight the following year. They made the second round in 2002 and 2003. The last time we won a tournament game was 2000.

The Dwight hardy year didn’t result in tournament win. But to pretend that didn’t happen or it wasnt significant is kind of shocking. We beat a bunch of top teams. Killed the national champions and duke in the same season and were one of the top stories in college basketball.
Deangelo Harrison’s class didn’t win a tournament game either. I wish the won more games. Nothing they did here was embarrassing. Tulsa didnt achieve anything like that.
For the umpteenth time our school has had plenty of success. You can look up who was in charge when we were good and who was in charge when we were disgraceful.

Comparing St. John’s fans with a a 6 time divorced women who didn’t learn her lesson at the same time wanting to keep coach Mullin as head coach doesn’t make sense. Their probably isn’t a nuance that I don’t get though.

Once again when we have a competent coach we win games. When we don’t, 20-59.

cjfish

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

Meaningless compared to the fold in conference

cjfish

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
What bench?

Earlington Roberts and Williams. Not going to play well if you don’t play. That’s what early season is for

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
Dude, it's Tulsa. No casual observer outside of Tornado alley gives a rat's ass about them. Whereas, even though we've sucked for the better part of the last 15 years, we're still in the BE, still in NYC and still got MSG (well kinda on the MSG part).

It's just the way it is. Anderson's Tulsa days are long past. He wants a real challenge and wants to do it in the bright lights.

Tulsa has a D-1 AAC football program. They will survive longer than we will. They have a good law school, big money donors, and better facilities.

I think it’s fair to say that we are the better program, but to act like we are head and shoulders above them just shows the sheer delusion of our fanbase.

It also ignores basic economics. Coaches fall into a salary range that is taxed at 12.5% from combined NYC and NY state income taxes. Oklahoma has a max state tax of 5%. You can also get a castle there for the cost of a decent home in NY. Plus it has less traffic and much lower taxes (9th lowest among states). It has better weather too boot. Oh, and Anderson played and coached there.

Our fans act like rusty, old Queens is some amazing draw. My mom lives in Queens, but let’s call it like it is. Unless you grew up there you would never want to even visit let alone reside for years.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »

Earlington Roberts and Williams. Not going to play well if you don’t play. That’s what early season is for

What successful coach plays freshmen of that caliber? They are four year players. As many coaches have said over the years, “the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.”  I have been president of the fanclubs of that trio of players but Earlington was not even close to ready last year, Roberts was too raw and too weak to play for a decent Big East team, and Williams got as much time as he deserved.

If you want to knock the staff for failing to recruit capable bigs, a capable backup PG or for failing to assess Keita properly then that is cetainly fair. Blaming them for not using three raw freshmen is just way off. Ideally we’d never use freshmen ranked outside of the top 75.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:24:56 PM by Marillac »

cjfish

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »
What successful coach plays freshmen of that caliber? They are four year players. As many coaches have said over the years, “the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.”  I have been president of the fanclubs of that trio of players but Earlington was not even close to ready last year, Roberts was too raw and too weak to play for a decent Big East team, and Williams got as much time as he deserved.

If you want to knock the staff for failing to recruit capable bigs, a capable backup PG or for failing to assess Keita properly then that is cetainly fair. Blaming them for not using three raw freshmen is just way off. Ideally we’d never use freshmen ranked outside of the top 75.

Better than no bench at all.  Earlington looked ok in very limited minutes.  Roberts and Williams needed more time and were adequate.  Better to play the freshmen than have an exhausted squad for the conference season.

TONYD3

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 07:37:31 PM »

What successful coach brings in 3 players who can’t help at all. Especially since 2 other guys are sit out transfers. Plus Mikey Dixon who was a 1 star player who earned 2 scholarship years for 8 minutes of big east action. That’s a more accurate explanation of what happened.
Champagne was he a top 75 player? He seems to be doing ok.
Our sophomores are playing well and it’s not just because they are a year older.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
What successful coach brings in 3 players who can’t help at all. Especially since 2 other guys are sit out transfers. Plus Mikey Dixon who was a 1 star player who earned 2 scholarship years for 8 minutes of big east action. That’s a more accurate explanation of what happened.
Champagne was he a top 75 player? He seems to be doing ok.
Our sophomores are playing well and it’s not just because they are a year older.

Why are you acting like I defend the prior staff’s roster construction? I’ve called Matt an unknowledgeable rat for years and took the staff to task for failing to recruit a capable backup PG. Unlike you I am capable of calling it both ways.

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »

Trotting out the ancient coaches statement that the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores is about as relevant as the old military statement don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes. With year round playing of basketball, AAU programs, players one and done and soon probably going straight to pro's out of HS it just no longer applies to most players.