Albany Great Danes game thread

• 118 replies
Re: Albany Great Danes game thread
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:42 PM »
Williams is a sniper!!!!
If Mullin was coaching against us he would be cursing out the opposing coach for shooting late 3s and running up the score.

Johnny23

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »
Defense and rebounding getting better every time out. Going to give some BE teams' fits Anderson's style coming into form.

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
Defense and rebounding getting better every time out. Going to give some BE teams' fits Anderson's style coming into form.

Yup.  If we could somehow steal a win against a very good AZ team, watch out!!!!

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2019, 10:32:39 PM »

Or...stay with me here...we are playing a completely inferior opponent who can’t handle our size and athletic ability. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Or...stay with me here...we are playing a completely inferior opponent who can’t handle our size and athletic ability. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

Enjoy some St. John’s basketball man!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 10:36:48 PM »
Good win.  The season starts Saturday.  Get ready boys.  Its gonna be a heck of a season.  Get some rest.  See you Saturday!

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37:54 PM »
Williams is a sniper!!!!

Honestly, you are least knowledgeable fan I’ve come across in 20 years of reading these forums.

You sh*t all over Williams when he misses any shot and then you call him a “sniper” when he makes two? You know nothing about the game of basketball.

Make or miss Williams usually has solid form. His last two makes were actually not that great mechanically, but you don’t see that.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:38:36 PM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2019, 10:40:56 PM »

You can only play whose in front of you. Don't hate because they're doing certain things well. Regardless the opponent they're improving in many key areas which will help them in conference.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
To me Sears is a great baseline to judge our front court talent. I see him as an acceptable 20 minute pet game Big East four. The fact that Champagne, Roberts, and Earlington consistently outplay him is a a terrific sign.

As I predicted our front court is our strength this season. Posh and McGriff next year will be huge. Marillac finally gets his two small PGs.

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Posh and McGriff next year will be huge. Marillac finally gets his two small PGs.

If someone else just said that you would be the first to remind them that mullin brought in 2 really good small point guards.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
You can only play whose in front of you. Don't hate because they're doing certain things well. Regardless the opponent they're improving in many key areas which will help them in conference.

They can only play who is in front of them—which so far is one of the ten worst strengths of schedules in the country—but you don’t have to react like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert when we beat an inferior team.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »
If someone else just said that you would be the first to remind them that mullin brought in 2 really good small point guards.

Two great guards. But Lovett ruijed that by being insane off the court.

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
Big East play will be interesting. I do like the style of play Anderson is running, and playing a team like UAlbany probably makes it look way better than it will come BE play. But we just look way more organized than I can ever remember looking under Lavin or Mullin. I still don't think we really have the talent to make noise this year, I am excited to see how we play against real teams.

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2019, 10:55:55 PM »
Really need to be competitive Saturday and see what happens, maybe having a Heron back and Steere getting cleared will give us a chance.

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
Big East play will be interesting. I do like the style of play Anderson is running, and playing a team like UAlbany probably makes it look way better than it will come BE play. But we just look way more organized than I can ever remember looking under Lavin or Mullin. I still don't think we really have the talent to make noise this year, I am excited to see how we play against real teams.

It's interesting I don't know if organized is the right way to describe it.

We ran better stuff in half court, out of time outs, and inbounds plays last year. I honestly haven't seen us run really much at all. So you could call that disorganized.

However I think something that strikes me as different and one could argue as improved is players  are prepared to enter the game and we aren't seeing a drastic drop off in production. From Caraher, Williams, Earlington, to even Sears guys seem to know where they need to be on both ends to the floor. I suppose you could describe that as organized.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2019, 11:40:17 PM »
It's interesting I don't know if organized is the right way to describe it.

We ran better stuff in half court, out of time outs, and inbounds plays last year. I honestly haven't seen us run really much at all. So you could call that disorganized.

However I think something that strikes me as different and one could argue as improved is players  are prepared to enter the game and we aren't seeing a drastic drop off in production. From Caraher, Williams, Earlington, to even Sears guys seem to know where they need to be on both ends to the floor. I suppose you could describe that as organized.

I think guys know where to be on defense. There’s structure and organization there.

I agree that this is a deep team.
Williams and Earlington played really well tonight. LJ, not so much. We cleaned the glass enough that it didn’t matter at all.

Earlington was brilliant today, even if he definitely absolutely traveled in the second half on that offensive rebound and put back.

The offense however, is a different story. We still are not running smart fast breaks half the time. The spacing is all out of whack. On many of them everyone is in the wrong spot. Dunn misses Sears for a layup and clanks one off the backboard. Roberts turns it over trying to kick it out instead of taking it strong himself. The offense was stale in the half court. There was a lot of lazy basketball. It’s a WIP. BUT, there is time to correct it. The effort is there on d, and it will win us games. Hoping the offense can get there, too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:02:18 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2019, 11:49:39 PM »
If Mullin was coaching against us he would be cursing out the opposing coach for shooting late 3s and running up the score.

Gotta get the Mullin insult in there somehow. This one wasn’t easy since Mullin did so well out of conference.  Well done mate.

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
Most famous alum is PEEKSKILLREDDEVIL 87 to 91. Was actually on Albany campus today picking up my son.

Poison

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2019, 11:54:02 PM »
Earlington deserves to start the next game. Anyone who can be in the right place as often as he was tonight needs to be playing more. 6 offensive rebounds. Good lord.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
Albany is ranked 221. Our stength of schedule is now 345.

You guys are trying too hard to take something from this. You get the win, you get 40 minutes of experience in essentially a scrimmage and you move on. There is nothing that can be taken from beating an awful team by 20+.