@Providence 1/15

• 240 replies
Re: @Providence 1/15
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2020, 04:18:24 AM »
Are we trying to set a record on this board for how may times we can have the same conversation in different threads?

Its getting ridiculous, can't we just agree that Mullin stunk as a coach and what Anderson has done so far has been underwhelming?

TONYD3

« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
Qualifying for the Ncaa tournament at St. John's is embarrassing yourself? I wish we had more coaches that embarrassed themselves thusly. What he's done at other stops is irrelevant. He certainly hasn't proven he's a good coach on the corner of Union and Utopia. I hope one day he does and I'm singing his praises. If he's a proven good coach, why should he fail here?

So far he doing a very good job. Don’t expect him to fail.

TONYD3

« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
Are we trying to set a record on this board for how may times we can have the same conversation in different threads?

Its getting ridiculous, can't we just agree that Mullin stunk as a coach and what Anderson has done so far has been underwhelming?
I don’t agree with that. What game has Anderson lost that he should have won. We were expected to finish in 9th.
This program was neglected maybe for 5/6 years. Can’t turn it around in 6 months.

« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
I don’t agree with that. What game has Anderson lost that he should have won. We were expected to finish in 9th.
This program was neglected maybe for 5/6 years. Can’t turn it around in 6 months.

So Tony while I agree the team is probably doing on par with what we've expected but is that acceptable?

Anderson was supposed to elevate play and be the "coach" that we needed.

I can see some positives and think he needs guys to buy into what he wants to do but I still think the players he's bringing in are too inferior to be in upper half of conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2020, 02:47:03 PM »
So Tony while I agree the team is probably doing on par with what we've expected but is that acceptable?

Anderson was supposed to elevate play and be the "coach" that we needed.

I can see some positives and think he needs guys to buy into what he wants to do but I still think the players he's bringing in are too inferior to be in upper half of conference.
He has elevated play. From memory we were 2-6 vs seton hall. We almost beat them. 0-9 vs Xavier with 7 knockouts, we played them close. 1-7 vs providence, played them close.
No moral victories but reasonable progress.
Josh Roberts, Dunn, Williams, earlington, and eve steer played well today

« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »
He has elevated play. From memory we were 2-6 vs seton hall. We almost beat them. 0-9 vs Xavier with 7 knockouts, we played them close. 1-7 vs providence, played them close.
No moral victories but reasonable progress.
Josh Roberts, Dunn, Williams, earlington, and eve steer played well today

I just don't understand this logic.

Losses are losses. Wins are wins.

Point differential has no value in college basketball.

TONYD3

« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »

That is nonsense. We are 1-5. I like our team. I like our players. We are losing but fighting hard. I spent my money and enjoyed the show. Wins are coming.
Losing by 40. Watching your team go through the motions. Watching your coach do nothing isn’t fun.
Trust the process isn’t just a punch line. Have to compete before you win
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:12:33 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »
can't we just agree that Mullin stunk as a coach and what Anderson has done so far has been underwhelming?
No, we can agree that Mullin came here a novice coach inheriting the worst roster ever in the history of St. John's and improved his record all four years he was here. The final one was outstanding culminating in an Ncaa tournament bid. His tenure here was not a runaway success.

CFC meanwhile is 1 and 5.

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

He points to "moral victories" in a vain attempt to support his unsupportable agenda. He's grasping at straws.

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
No, we can agree that Mullin came here a novice coach inheriting the worst roster ever in the history of St. John's and improved his record all four years he was here. The final one was outstanding culminating in an Ncaa tournament bid. His tenure here was not a runaway success.

All of things you say here are true but if we want to discuss Mullin lets do it in another thread.

Foad

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »

That's because there is no logic. A year ago just about this week SJ was 14-1 and ranked in the top 25. The one loss was to Seton Hall in the clock game. Also last year at this time moral victories wasn't posting here because basketball wasn't fun anymore. Whereas this year the team stinks and they're in last place and everything's coming up roses.

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »

If making the NCAA tourney is outstanding, then this next coach is over 50% of making the NCAA tourney. And has won 9 more games in the NCAA tourney since this program has won 1 game.....judging a new coach after 6 conf games is a little harsh, when was Mullin actually put on the clock as a coach?

TONYD3

« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

That's because there is no logic. A year ago just about this week SJ was 14-1 and ranked in the top 25. The one loss was to Seton Hall in the clock game. Also last year at this time moral victories wasn't posting here because basketball wasn't fun anymore. Whereas this year the team stinks and they're in last place and everything's coming up roses.
And what happened after 14-1? The collapse that came wasn’t exactly shocking. Furthermore I like this team. Even if it does stink.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:44:42 PM by TONYD3 »

TONYD3

« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
If making the NCAA tourney is outstanding, then this next coach is over 50% of making the NCAA tourney. And has won 9 more games in the NCAA tourney since this program has won 1 game.....judging a new coach after 6 conf games is a little harsh, when was Mullin actually put on the clock as a coach?
We came off winning 20 games 4/5 seasons and a tournament berth. Mullin lost by 30 plus in his first game vs a division 2 team. And lost his first 13 conference games. He went 1-17 year one. He received a pass.
Year 2 started slow. Played well for about a month. Got blown out in big east tournament. Their was a poll. The consensus gave him a B plus for the season. Back then hundreds voted.
Year 3-early  Season record wise was better. PG quits. 11 conference losses in a row. Last place again. More reasonable fans started questioning the fearless leader. Before that it was only the crazies.
Year 4- new AD- the end

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »

Im not saying they should have won, but in close games execution has been very poor and thats on the coach. The Butler game when we were up and Butler switched to a zone with 3 minutes left we had no answer. We almost blew the arizona game in the final minutes. The plays at the end of the providence, butler and seton hall games were non existent.

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
Im not saying they should have won, but in close games execution has been very poor and thats on the coach. The Butler game when we were up and Butler switched to a zone with 3 minutes left we had no answer. We almost blew

No answer except for the wide open missed three in the corner. Makes it a little tough.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
Im not saying they should have won, but in close games execution has been very poor and thats on the coach. The Butler game when we were up and Butler switched to a zone with 3 minutes left we had no answer. We almost blew the arizona game in the final minutes. The plays at the end of the providence, butler and seton hall games were non existent.

They "should have" beaten Vermont. At home. More to the point, how many times have the other guy's "half time adjustments" flummoxed Coach Iron Mike Dunderhead? Remy Martin went off in the second half. Anthony Lamb went off in the second half. Mile Powell went off in the second half. Good grief, Mike Smith went off in the second half. But yeah, CMA's a genyious and the ship is heading in the right direction, if you think that spot on the map where it says 'there be monsters' is the right direction.

« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2020, 09:56:42 PM »
All of things you say here are true but if we want to discuss Mullin lets do it in another thread.
Sorry Dave.

TONYD3

« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
They "should have" beaten Vermont. At home. More to the point, how many times have the other guy's "half time adjustments" flummoxed Coach Iron Mike Dunderhead? Remy Martin went off in the second half. Anthony Lamb went off in the second half. Mile Powell went off in the second half. Good grief, Mike Smith went off in the second half. But yeah, CMA's a genyious and the ship is heading in the right direction, if you think that spot on the map where it says 'there be monsters' is the right direction.
You are right. They should have beaten Vermont. That was Dunn’s first game. But you are right Vermont should have been a win.

SJUFAN

« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:08 AM »

When will anyone of our pre-season All-BE 2nd team honorees “go off”?

The fact we have to rely on Dunn to get a basket in crunch time tells you all you need to know.