Seton Hall 1/18

• 111 replies
Re: Seton Hall 1/18
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2020, 03:23:06 PM »
Bottom line, we just aren't very good. Personally, I think Anderson gets a lot out of guys that probably shouldn't be playing at this level. We miss way too many good, easy shots. That's not coaching, it's lack of talent.

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Looking at this game in 40 min lens. I don't think there is a large talent disparity. We have enough horses to compete and we showed that for first 20 min. This is the Big East.

The difference between great and worst is very fine.
Their is a big east board. Holy land of hoops. I think you should post that there. See what others think about it. I don’t post there. But I would bet my life that that that board would suggest that you are full of crap or very biased.

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
I get mocked because I coach HS sports. Sometimes you don’t have another pitcher. Sometimes you don’t have another play. Coach Anderson has a few bullets. Once he uses them it’s game over.
 In 3 years if Nick Rutherford is the only answer it’s a problem. And Anderson deserves plenty of blame. In year 1 of a complete rebuild. What’s he going to do?
And yes this is a rebuild

Definitely not mocking you nor did I know you coach.

We could have switched up who was on Powell. Whether we trapped or didn't. I'm not talking complex stuff here. We overcommitted every time. Seton Hall recognized that and adjusted
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2020, 03:34:10 PM »
Their is a big east board. Holy land of hoops. I think you should post that there. See what others think about it. I don’t post there. But I would bet my life that that that board would suggest that you are full of crap or very biased.

I know the creators of the site but I don't understand the point you are trying to raise.

LJ and Mustapha are two of the best players in conference. Name duo's who you'd take over them?

Powell, McKnight, Cale vs LJ, Mustapha, Dunn

While I think Seton Hall has edge that's comparable.

Gill vs Roberts

Again I go to war here.

Rhoden & Reynolds vs Earlington & Williams

Talent wise we can go punch for punch but Seton Hall plays more consistent.

Foad

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
Only way to make NCAA tourney then is make the BE tourney finals or might even have to win it...

Or 75 other teams might die simultaneously in a fiery plane crash. #FingersCrossed

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2020, 03:59:37 PM »
Or 75 other teams might die simultaneously in a fiery plane crash. #FingersCrossed
theres 75 teams in the BE tourney? I learn something new every day.

Johnny23

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
I know the creators of the site but I don't understand the point you are trying to raise.

LJ and Mustapha are two of the best players in conference. Name duo's who you'd take over them?

Gill vs Roberts

Again I go to war here.

Talent wise SHU is superior. Powell is head and shoulders above Heron and LJ. McKnight and Cale are about equal to them and would both take on alpha roles on our roster.  Gil is 7'2. You can't teach that kind of size. SJU has noone on the roster who creates that type of physical mismatch, most teams don't. That 6'10 frosh they have, Samuel, looks like he'll be a good one in the making. Anthony Nelson too. When Mamu comes back that makes them even deeper and more talented.

There's a sizable gap between their talent level and ours.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »

Gill vs Roberts

Again I go to war here.

Wow this truly shows your inability to assess players abilities and how they impact the game.

I saw Gill today in the half court out beyond the 3 point line put the ball on the floor drive to the basket with a defender on his hip and finish over another defender in front the rim. When have you ever seen Roberts do anything remotely similar to that?

Roberts is the worse offensive player in the BE. Coupled with Rutherford we are playing 5 on 3. From a defensive perspective we are easy to defend in the half court, which is why we struggle to score when we don’t turn the ball over.

There were a few times Dunn got into the lane and kicked it out to a wide open Rutherford, he doesn’t take the shot. He found Roberts 5 ft from the basket no defender around him, he doesn’t take the shot. Heron and LJ can’t create shots for themselves.

Foad

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
theres 75 teams in the BE tourney? I learn something new every day.

No dummy. If 75 other teams were eliminated from NCAA contention, SJU is a shoo in, regardless of their showing in the BET tournament. Sorry, you're from Arkansas, you don't know what shoes are, I meant a lock, sorry, you're from Arkansas, you don't have anything to safeguard except the family livestock, by which I meant your cousin.   

Foad

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
52-36 #halftimeadjustments

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
Talent wise SHU is superior. Powell is head and shoulders above Heron and LJ. McKnight and Cale are about equal to them and would both take on alpha roles on our roster.  Gil is 7'2. You can't teach that kind of size. SJU has noone on the roster who creates that type of physical mismatch, most teams don't. That 6'10 frosh they have, Samuel, looks like he'll be a good one in the making. Anthony Nelson too. When Mamu comes back that makes them even deeper and more talented.

There's a sizable gap between their talent level and ours.

Obviously Seton Hall is better but the point is we aren't that far off where we can't be better for 40 min. Talent wasn't the issue today.

Dan

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2020, 04:16:46 PM »
if moral victories counted st johns would be in the national championship conversation right now. nobody cares. guy is not winning any conference games

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
I know I’m that guy and don’t want to be but we have the elite scorer coming in next year that can score at will...in times like these only thing you can do is watch Vince Cole, and Isaih Moore highlights..

You’re a dope. You think some kid from a sh*tty JUCO region is a better scorer than Heron, who led a 26-win 1st place SEC team in scoring, or LJ, who was coveted by Kansas and other blue blue bloods for his scoring ability when he announced he might transfer? Where was Cole’s Kansas offer? What about other high majors?

Cole might end up being a better fit—and I think he will be—due to his length and athletic ability on the other end and in the open floor, but he is not a better scorer than Heron or LJ. Either of them would start for just about any team in the country, and both would start for Seton Hall.

Anderson doesn’t want any part of the half court. We are #1 in the country putting up a shot in an average of just 15 seconds. He wants to break teams with depth.

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Wow this truly shows your inability to assess players abilities and how they impact the game.

I saw Gill today in the half court out beyond the 3 point line put the ball on the floor drive to the basket with a defender on his hip and finish over another defender in front the rim. When have you ever seen Roberts do anything remotely similar to that?

Roberts is the worse offensive player in the BE. Coupled with Rutherford we are playing 5 on 3. From a defensive perspective we are easy to defend in the half court, which is why we struggle to score when we don’t turn the ball over.

There were a few times Dunn got into the lane and kicked it out to a wide open Rutherford, he doesn’t take the shot. He found Roberts 5 ft from the basket no defender around him, he doesn’t take the shot. Heron and LJ can’t create shots for themselves.

Josh Roberts shot 8-11 today. He makes hustle plays, good touch around the rim, and plays within himself. I'll take that bad offense every game.

We could have won this game and didn't. The difference in the Big East is a few possessions.

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
in other news DePaul beats Butler. We own last place.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »
Obviously Seton Hall is better but the point is we aren't that far off where we can't be better for 40 min. Talent wasn't the issue today.

We lost by 3 and were only favored by 4 and these dopes are talking about “superior” talent!

Heron and Figgy would start and be the second and third leading scorers for SH. Dunn would be the first guard off the bench and any one of Champagnie, Roberts, or Earlington would play 15+ minutes.

Williams would also play for any team in the conference.

They have better talent, but we should be able to split with them.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2020, 04:27:19 PM »
Josh Roberts shot 8-11 today. He makes hustle plays, good touch around the rim, and plays within himself. I'll take that bad offense every game.

We could have won this game and didn't. The difference in the Big East is a few possessions.

Josh Roberts has an NBA ceiling and he fits Anderson’s style perfectly. He needs 15-20 lbs and he needs to add to his game. He hustles his arse off and plays within his ability. Those are priceless attributes. He had also been the best front court athlete in every game but one this year.

Dan

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
the reframe on expectations is startling. a "complete rebuild" does not include lj and heron. Staying here has not helped them so far and you have to wonder if they will come to regret sticking out playing for Anderson
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:27:44 PM by Dan »

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2020, 04:29:25 PM »
No dummy. If 75 other teams were eliminated from NCAA contention, SJU is a shoo in, regardless of their showing in the BET tournament. Sorry, you're from Arkansas, you don't know what shoes are, I meant a lock, sorry, you're from Arkansas, you don't have anything to safeguard except the family livestock, by which I meant your cousin.   

It depends which 75 teams died. Might have to up that # to 200-225 to be safe.

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
Yep this is bad.. looking like 17-14 and (6-12) in conf. Only way to make NCAA tourney then is make the BE tourney finals or might even have to win it...

You sound insane talking about the NCAA tournament still. You and the rest of the The Squad that were talking about a high NIT seed with a good chance to dance have sh*t all over your faces. To your credit, at least you don’t feel the need to mock a coach we hired with no experience for “only” making the NCAA tournament in order to make your point.