@ Marquette 1/21

• 100 replies
Re: @ Marquette 1/21
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 12:10:13 AM »
I'm surprised Steere didn't get more minutes especially because John and Johnson were big bodies he could bang against.

Thought our defense suffered with Champagnie at the 5. Marquette got a ton of corner threes as we overcommitted on helping in the post.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2020, 12:11:48 AM »
While they were probably utilized or under trusted they were still freshman and brought in by previous staff. I don't think bringing up previous staff is relevant at all at this point though and especially not in this game discussion.
I think it was totally relevant saying they would thrive in any other system considering it’s remarkable what they have accomplished this year under this staff. Sorry I talk basketball, I know it’s not common around here.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 12:14:11 AM »
You wouldn’t be referring to last years system would you?

Like clockwork. Last year and Mullin every post.

Pro tip:  if you have to compare a coach of three decades to someone who coached four years in his entire life to make a point, you’ve already lost.

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:51 AM »
I think it was totally relevant saying they would thrive in any other system considering it’s remarkable what they have accomplished this year under this staff. Sorry I talk basketball, I know it’s not common around here.

I don't think the back handed parting shot was necessary.

You know Mike Anderson probably better than anyone. I'm not sure those guys fit into what he does. Additionally Mike Anderson offensive acumen is severely limited and unstructured. Even tonight on the broadcast Coach Miles was saying how we needed to figure out ways to get the ball to Heron more. Defense to offense isn't enough.

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:21 AM »
I don't think the back handed parting shot was necessary.

You know Mike Anderson probably better than anyone. I'm not sure those guys fit into what he does. Additionally Mike Anderson offensive acumen is severely limited and unstructured. Even tonight on the broadcast Coach Miles was saying how we needed to figure out ways to get the ball to Heron more. Defense to offense isn't enough.
You’re exactly right, I just hope he can keep the roster intact, but I’ve never heard a recruit or player leave Anderson for his coaching ability but just playing time, that’s why I figure Caraher and Steere would leave after this year, but you made a great point of them already transferring here and wouldn’t make since. Do you think LJ will want to graduate here? Also I don’t know how well the grad transfer market will be next year, hopefully it’s real good because I see him using it to level out the roster.

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »

You said Earlington was not cutting it in practice and would be glued to the bench. You claimed inside info. Your hoops knowledge consists of jocking anything Mike Anderson does. Way to bring it, guy.

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »
You said Earlington was not cutting it in practice and would be glued to the bench. You claimed inside info. Your hoops knowledge consists of jocking anything Mike Anderson does. Way to bring it, guy.
Didn’t think Earlington would bring what he has brought, probably the most potential on the team in the future, work on that jumper and he’s got himself a competition for a starting spot at the 4 next year with Moore and Champagnie.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 01:04:48 AM »
Like clockwork. Last year and Mullin every post.

I was curious. Think there are too many fans making comments about Anderson’s offense which shows they no nothing about. You also have stated Anderson’s wants to play ugly. There is nothing bad or ugly about his offense, it’s fine.

There’s plenty of action, screens, cuts, rubs which translate into opportunities for players to make a play. That’s all you can ask for out of an offense. There are plenty of open looks generate from this offense. The players struggle shooting the ball or make the right play which isn’t necessary on the coach.

Take the last offensive set in the first half for instance. Coming out the time out wojo switches to a 2-3. Dunn passes the ball to Heron standing at the foul line extended and is trapped. He passes the ball back to Dunn who decides to attack the teeth of the zone and puts up a horrible shot. Great decision by Wojo. Bad offense by Anderson. When you look at the play closer Heron had another option, standing in the strong side corner one pass away was Champagnie wide open. The difference in good offense can be better decision making followed by shot making.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 01:13:40 AM »
Think there are too many fans making comments about Anderson’s offense which shows they no nothing about.

This quote sums up your small but vocal crew perfectly.

The collective lack of intelligence is quite staggering.

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 01:41:27 AM »
I was curious. Think there are too many fans making comments about Anderson’s offense which shows they no nothing about. You also have stated Anderson’s wants to play ugly. There is nothing bad or ugly about his offense, it’s fine.

There’s plenty of action, screens, cuts, rubs which translate into opportunities for players to make a play. That’s all you can ask for out of an offense. There are plenty of open looks generate from this offense. The players struggle shooting the ball or make the right play which isn’t necessary on the coach.

Take the last offensive set in the first half for instance. Coming out the time out wojo switches to a 2-3. Dunn passes the ball to Heron standing at the foul line extended and is trapped. He passes the ball back to Dunn who decides to attack the teeth of the zone and puts up a horrible shot. Great decision by Wojo. Bad offense by Anderson. When you look at the play closer Heron had another option, standing in the strong side corner one pass away was Champagnie wide open. The difference in good offense can be better decision making followed by shot making.

Not every play falls on the coach but systematically his half court offense is very unstructured which leaves a lot of room for free styling and I haven't seen any correction or evolution there.

So far that's yielded very poor results in conference play.

SJUFAN

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 01:52:36 AM »
Not every play falls on the coach but systematically his half court offense is very unstructured which leaves a lot of room for free styling and I haven't seen any correction or evolution there.

So far that's yielded very poor results in conference play.

Why do you say it’s unstructured? What are you basing it on? I see plenty of open looks.

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 04:23:56 AM »
Why do you say it’s unstructured? What are you basing it on? I see plenty of open looks.

I also see plenty of possessions that result in an awful shot because nothing was called or they just passed the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock runs down. I also see them panic when he shot clock starts running down and they give the ball to LJ or Dunn and just wait for them to do something resulting in a wild shot or driving into 3 guys and a turnover.  You can't really think their half court offense is good.

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:44 AM »
Didn’t think Earlington would bring what he has brought, probably the most potential on the team in the future, work on that jumper and he’s got himself a competition for a starting spot at the 4 next year with Moore and Champagnie.

Banner, no disrespect, but why are you following St. John's when your home town team Arkansas is playing well.You are just going to start giving yourself a headache. Do you really love Coach Anderson that much?

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 04:26:47 AM »
Also, their half court defense is atrocious. How many open looks did Marquette get with not a defender in site? Slow rotations and some bad communication.

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 05:06:23 AM »
I think Anderson is going to win the trophy of how many single digit losses St. John’s is going to have.

There's no trophy for that. Trophies are given for excellence, not for being mediocre.

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2020, 05:15:43 AM »
You’re exactly right, I just hope he can keep the roster intact, but I’ve never heard a recruit or player leave Anderson for his coaching ability but just playing time, that’s why I figure Caraher and Steere would leave after this year, but you made a great point of them already transferring here and wouldn’t make since. Do you think LJ will want to graduate here? Also I don’t know how well the grad transfer market will be next year, hopefully it’s real good because I see him using it to level out the roster.

You know that's a lie. Lots of transfers during his Arkansas tenure and some from starters.

I did not watch the game, but lemme take a wild guess of what happened since it was on the road.

SJU fouled a whole lot more than Marquette. Anderson's style tends to do that, especially on the road.

Marquette had some wide-open shots and made them.

SJU shot poorly.

SJU was outrebounded.

There were SJU players standing around and not moving despite Anderson having a motion "offense".

Was that accurate?

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2020, 05:16:40 AM »
Why are you even here is the real question?

Why are you really here is the real question?

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 06:27:42 AM »
No one getting open.  No plays out of the half court to get anyone open. 

That said, Ellington, Figgy and Roberts are really good talents and smart players who would thrive in other systems.  Oh well, too bad for them.

We missed enough good shots to win the last two games!

3 guards who can’t shoot, 3 centers who can’t score, 2 scorers who can’t create. I like them all but we are missing pieces.  Not much for a pretty offensive system.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:29:39 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 06:34:06 AM »
Jethro complaining about the refs, check.

Poison nonsequitur, check.

Moral victory, check.

Mullinbad, check.

Anderson coached good but boy did they play lousy, check.

Wait till next year bums, check.

/ And thread

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 06:34:54 AM »
Welcome back great post.