Nova 1/28

• 213 replies

Foad

Re: Nova 1/28
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
We will be lucky if Cole reaches LJ's first year production.

Figueroa and Ahmed were both first team All Americans. IIRC Ahmed was a cancer and LJF has now been pronounced a bust. They say third times a charm though.

SJUFAN

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »
Run guys to death on defense. Don't set them up on offense. Big deficit and blame guys for chucking.

Get Heron going early and often and he plays better. Same for LJ. This team shouldn't have Dunn leading the team in shots.

Anderson runs a team oriented offense style that incorporates both dribble drive and motion concepts. It’s not going to force feed a particular player shots. It’s designed to find the best shot by any player. You may disagree with this style, but it is what team basketball looks like. Ask Bobby Knight what his opinion is on this offensive style and I’m sure he wouldn’t complain.

Get the ball into the paint, find the hole in the defense, make the right play. There were a couple plays when Dunn got the ball into the paint and Roberts was wide open rolling to the basket and he either didn’t pass it to him it passed it late and it resulted in a turnover. We need players that can dribble, pass, shoot, and defend. It’s execution, not the offense.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:20:42 PM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
Ask Bobby Knight what his opinion is on this offensive style and I’m sure he wouldn’t complain.

I just talked to Bobby, he said the offense stinks. Also he said your argumentum ad verecundiam was quite lame.

SJUFAN

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
When proven players play poorly it’s because they suck and it has zero to do with Anderson’s system.  When sophomores play better it’s because of Anderson. You can’t make this sh*t up!

Can we stop with this Narrative. They aren’t playing poorly, they are playing as expected. LJ is averaging more points, assists, steals, and blocks than last year. Heron is averaging 1 point fewer than last year but playing 6 fewer minutes per game.

The problem is some in this forum apparently believe Heron and LJ should average 20 points a game. If they were capable of this we wouldn’t have been picked to finish second to last.

Marillac

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Anderson runs a team oriented offense

Lol good one. Maybe I’ve been confusing your comedy for stupidity this whole time?

Marillac

« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Can we stop with this Narrative. They aren’t playing poorly, they are playing as expected. LJ is averaging more points, assists, steals, and blocks than last year. Heron is averaging 1 point fewer than last year but playing 6 fewer minutes per game.

The problem is some in this forum apparently believe Heron and LJ should average 20 points a game. If they were capable of this we wouldn’t have been picked to finish second to last.

Nope. You’re just stupid.

Poison

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »
Full games?

Everyone looks amazing in highlights. Need to see the lowlights too.

Look I think there is some quality in some of the guys being brought in but the fact is they aren't better than Mustapha, LJ. Maybe they're better than Roberts, Earlington, Caraher or maybe they're very similar.

I know. I was half kidding.

Not having a capable starting point guard has done us in. Rutherford certainly has his moments, but he just isn’t consistent, and unfortunately, he’s often out of control and options when he’s the running offense. No position is more important than point guard. It’s taken all the guys you listed out of their game, and some of them can improve quite a bit imo w a real point guard. Imagine a guard who could the ball to Josh Roberts?

We have 7 small forwards on this team. We need guards who can handle the ball, and get in the lane and create. It looks like from what I can tell, that Posh is NYC battle-tested. The two guard may be more of a project. But Vince Cole is probably the hardest to gage. Usually, it seems like most jucos are coming here with MVP stats. I can only think of one player, and that’s Brownlee that didn’t, and planned out.

SJUFAN

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2020, 06:33:08 PM »
Nope. You’re just stupid.

I keep giving you an opportunity to support any of your positions with a basketball argument and you fail every time. When it comes to speaking about basketball, we both know you can’t hold my jock strap. So carryon with your deflections.

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
I keep giving you an opportunity to support any of your positions with a basketball argument and you fail every time. When it comes to speaking about basketball, we both know you can’t hold my jock strap. So carryon with your deflections.

Why are you wearing a f*cking jock strap, psycho? And why would I want to hold it?

Foad

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
Can we stop with this Narrative. They aren’t playing poorly

They're 2-7 and tied for last place. The only team they've beaten is the other last place team. How much worse would they have to be to be playing poorly?

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
I know. I was half kidding.

Not having a capable starting point guard has done us in. Rutherford certainly has his moments, but he just isn’t consistent, and unfortunately, he’s often out of control and options when he’s the running offense. No position is more important than point guard. It’s taken all the guys you listed out of their game, and some of them can improve quite a bit imo w a real point guard. Imagine a guard who could the ball to Josh Roberts?

We have 7 small forwards on this team. We need guards who can handle the ball, and get in the lane and create. It looks like from what I can tell, that Posh is NYC battle-tested. The two guard may be more of a project. But Vince Cole is probably the hardest to gage. Usually, it seems like most jucos are coming here with MVP stats. I can only think of one player, and that’s Brownlee that didn’t, and planned out.

Disclaimer....I am not saying that posh will bring us a national championship, but he will def make us a better team....kid was a 5star prior to missing his junior season due to injury...to me he was the guy we needed to land from the local area...

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
Why are you wearing a f*cking jock strap, psycho? And why would I want to hold it?

I knew you were a fraud, this removes all doubt.

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2020, 11:05:14 PM »
Anderson runs a team oriented offense style that incorporates both dribble drive and motion concepts. It’s not going to force feed a particular player shots. It’s designed to find the best shot by any player. You may disagree with this style, but it is what team basketball looks like. Ask Bobby Knight what his opinion is on this offensive style and I’m sure he wouldn’t complain.

Get the ball into the paint, find the hole in the defense, make the right play. There were a couple plays when Dunn got the ball into the paint and Roberts was wide open rolling to the basket and he either didn’t pass it to him it passed it late and it resulted in a turnover. We need players that can dribble, pass, shoot, and defend. It’s execution, not the offense.

Bobby Knight hasn't coached for over 20 years.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »
Guys enough with calling each other idiots, stupid, or names. I'm really getting tired of it. Stick to talking about basketball.

There are ways to disagree and talk about the topic. If you think someone is a nice person that's fine but no need to call them that here. It's simply not allowed and I'm to the point where if you can't follow the rules you're getting the boot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:42 PM »
They're 2-7 and tied for last place. The only team they've beaten is the other last place team. How much worse would they have to be to be playing poorly?

That was in response to the idiotic post that proven players are playing poorly and referenced Anderson’s system. However in reality the players who were said to be playing poorly are actually playing better from a statistical standpoint. I would like to hear some qualitative evidence to support some of these claims that are thrown out there.

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2020, 11:59:59 PM »
Don’t think it’ll happen at all but Fox Sports writer says if Johnnies go 5-4 down the stretch and win all there home games and lose all 4 road games then they will still be on the bubble, because of their Non conference wins and how great the BE is. It will be hard winning all the games at home but we have played the 3 best teams at home already and got it over with. https://twitter.com/bigeastmbb/status/1222743078391422976?s=21
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:00:10 AM by BannerMountainMan »

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2020, 12:09:32 AM »
That was in response to the idiotic post that proven players are playing poorly and referenced Anderson’s system. However in reality the players who were said to be playing poorly are actually playing better from a statistical standpoint. I would like to hear some qualitative evidence to support some of these claims that are thrown out there.

Actually, that is not true.  LJ's ppg are up in conference but his efficiency, shooting percentages, and offensive production rate are all way down.  Heron's in conference numbers are all down as well.  They might get better, worse, or remain the same. but comparing production mid-season vs. full year considering the strength of the Big East vs. OOC is poor analysis.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:10:14 AM by Expatfan »

Rodman

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2020, 12:12:08 AM »

Actually, Depaul is 1-7.  So, they are in 9th place as per preseason predictions.  So you really cant say they are under performing but exactly where they were expected to be.

goredmen

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2020, 12:15:30 AM »
Don’t think it’ll happen at all but Fox Sports writer says if Johnnies go 5-4 down the stretch and win all there home games and lose all 4 road games then they will still be on the bubble, because of their Non conference wins and how great the BE is. It will be hard winning all the games at home but we have played the 3 best teams at home already and got it over with. https://twitter.com/bigeastmbb/status/1222743078391422976?s=21

Every home game from here on out will essentially be a coin flip. This team ain't winning 5 coin flips in a row. Just be happy if Anderson's streak is still alive because that ending is far more likely than this team being anywhere near the bubble.

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »
What exactly are you expecting him to do with the worse roster in the BE? The team was picked to finish 2nd to last for a reason and at last glance that’s where they stand so I would say he’s performing as expected.
I'm quite sure that preseason polls are predicated on the team as a whole - not just roster. It can be viewed as rival coaches condemnation of our coaching staff as much as of our roster.  Not that I assign much value to coaches preseason team predictions.