Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies
Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
I thought at the beginning of the year that LJF was going to play himself into th late first round. That said, I thought he checked out in January and I don't understand how anyone could have watched him chucking up 40 foot threes and one hand floaters in the lane and think otherwise. His last spate of games included Two for 17 from the floor versus Xavier. Four points versus Villanova, nine versus Butler. 11 for 17 from the FT line. 11 for 29 from three. Five steals in his last six games. One block in his last 10. Other than a stellar game against Creighton (16 pts, 5 assists, 12 rebounds) he had four rebounds or fewer than eight times in his last nine games; over those nine (again leaving out Creighton) 19 rebounds versus 18 fouls. He not looked at all engaged to me and I was a fan.

The biggest difference in LJ between this past year and the prior one is FG%.  To me that drop is attributable to him being the primary option instead of the 3rd or 4th, and from playing with a great guard who everyone focused on to playing without a true offensive PG.  Beyond the significant dip in FG%, his numbers were pretty similar.

You're right of course that from late January on he had a number of games where he really struggled, mix in with some games where his play ranged from OK to very good.  In addition to the Creighton game you point to, he was fantastic in the Georgetown BE tourney game, good in the Marquette W just before that, and fine in the Prov/Hall losses.

I don't necessarily think the dip in play is to him being "checked out".  We've seen what checked out looks like.  I think it is more because he was the primary offensive option everyone focused on, without a true PG or consistent scoring options around him, and resorted to some hideous shot selection because it was difficult for us to score points at times in the half court.  I don't think a kid who is completely checked out plays like he did against Marquette, Georgetown and then for a half versus Creighton (he was at 9 points, 5 boards on 3-6 from 3 when that game was cancelled).

cjfish

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
just watched some video of McGriff.  Great handle, penetrates with great quickness.  Everyone is ignoring him but he could be a major factor.  Shot is questionable, not enough to go on, awkward looking but a lot of good shooters are not classic.  A lefty which is always a positive.  Thinking he plays at least 15 to start and may play his way into more minutes.  Potential to be an assist machine

« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
See this is where we disagree. I didn’t see that or get that vibe from either player. Heron got hurt. He was hurt all year and then had to shut it down. He was into the games post-injury and was on Twitter lobbying for an extra year of eligibility once the pandemic hit.

Watch LJ the last 5 games. He didn’t play or look like anyone who checked out. I sat a few rows back for the Gtown BE game and LJ played his tail off and cared as if was a final 4 game. You don’t do that if you say “F it”.  He led the BE in steals - you don’t do that if you are checked out. He was into the Creighton game despite there being no fans. And when we won that game - which we would have - he would have played his a$$ off on Friday night against Prov.

Don't get it twisted that frustration or unhappiness means lack of effort or love for the game. Both players want to play and win but that doesn't mean they want to stay at St. John's.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
just watched some video of McGriff.  Great handle, penetrates with great quickness.  Everyone is ignoring him but he could be a major factor.  Shot is questionable, not enough to go on, awkward looking but a lot of good shooters are not classic.  A lefty which is always a positive.  Thinking he plays at least 15 to start and may play his way into more minutes.  Potential to be an assist machine

Everyone looks great in highlights. Need to see the lowlights too.

« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »
Don't get it twisted that frustration or unhappiness means lack of effort or love for the game. Both players want to play and win but that doesn't mean they want to stay at St. John's.

We'll find out soon enough with LJ.  If it was the prior staff I'd assume he's gone but we shall see.

Saw no evidence whatsoever that Heron didn't want to be here.  If anything I saw that opposite post-injury.

cjfish

« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »
yeah but you can tell what strengths are evident, like his handle and court vision.  As I said the outside shot looked questionable but his quickness is outstanding

« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »
We'll find out soon enough with LJ.  If it was the prior staff I'd assume he's gone but we shall see.

Saw no evidence whatsoever that Heron didn't want to be here.  If anything I saw that opposite post-injury.

Yeah the prior squad that recruited him. If LJ had the option of not sitting out he would transfer. That I can tell you with certainty.

Foad

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
The biggest difference in LJ between this past year and the prior one is FG%.  To me that drop is attributable to him being the primary option instead of the 3rd or 4th, and from playing with a great guard who everyone focused on to playing without a true offensive PG.  Beyond the significant dip in FG%, his numbers were pretty similar.

You're right of course that from late January on he had a number of games where he really struggled, mix in with some games where his play ranged from OK to very good.  In addition to the Creighton game you point to, he was fantastic in the Georgetown BE tourney game, good in the Marquette W just before that, and fine in the Prov/Hall losses.

I don't necessarily think the dip in play is to him being "checked out".  We've seen what checked out looks like.  I think it is more because he was the primary offensive option everyone focused on, without a true PG or consistent scoring options around him, and resorted to some hideous shot selection because it was difficult for us to score points at times in the half court.  I don't think a kid who is completely checked out plays like he did against Marquette, Georgetown and then for a half versus Creighton (he was at 9 points, 5 boards on 3-6 from 3 when that game was cancelled).

Obviously it's difficult to interpret players psychological states and emotional health. I routinely scoff at people who talk about body language and such. Still, to me he looked disinterested and dispirited a lot of the time.

Agree that he wasn't prepared - or maybe suited - to being the man. Not everyone is. The other thing that occurs to me is that maybe Ponds was even better than he appeared to be. I mean, I thought he was supernaturally talented but maybe he was even better than that. Maybe LJF and Heron had the years they had two years ago because of Ponds, not just his presence, but his talent. He got shit on a bit for playing for himself and being lazy and so on. Maybe he was a lot better than he was credited for being and what followed was sour grapes.

For the record I don't believe the Anderson narrative that says (as an earlier poster noted) that he gets credit Earlington and Roberts improving and gets absolved for Heron and LJF regressing. I think that's bullshit fanboi-ism. There's one truth but a lot of variables.

« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »
I hope McGriff can be effective.  I am concerned that even in some of his hype video clips from last year (before he sat out for the injury) he had some flashes of ball handling brilliance and then lost the ball in the end.  (There is one with JayZ frowning that always made me chuckle).

I hope Posh proves he can be the starter from day 1, and I hope McGriff can pick up the back up minutes completely.  Post + McGriff would equal be point guards, play makers, and some court vision we just haven't had in years.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:28:53 AM by porterbrown »

jr49

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »
Yeah the prior squad that recruited him. If LJ had the option of not sitting out he would transfer. That I can tell you with certainty.

If LJ has reasons about his game that would wanna make him leave might be the same reasons that he should wanna stay. This staff can coach.

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »
This staff can coach.
We'll see.

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2020, 05:13:36 AM »
If LJ has reasons about his game that would wanna make him leave might be the same reasons that he should wanna stay. This staff can coach.

Did you see any improvement from him this past season? 

Poison

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »

There’s something to be said for manning up and dealing with life as it comes. To transfer in this situation would make LJ seam weak.

Stick it out. Show you can lead, and that you can handle big spots. It’s something he hasn’t been able to do, yet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:30:29 PM by Poison »

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:00 AM »
There’s something to be said for manning up and dealing with life it comes. To transfer in this situation would make LJ seam weak.

Stick it out. Show you can lead, and that you can handle big spots. It’s something he hasn’t been able to do, yet.

I don't know if there is anything manly about staying in a situation you didn't sign up for or feel unhappy about. Nothing weak about seeking better situation.

LJ is a great kid and great competitor. If he can go to better situation and play deep into NCAA Tournament or go pro then he should.

If I was the coaching staff I'd recognize this situation already and push for a decision one way or another. Can't have your best player being unhappy heading into the season which can disrupt culture you desperately need to establish.

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »
I don't know if there is anything manly about staying in a situation you didn't sign up for or feel unhappy about. Nothing weak about seeking better situation.

LJ is a great kid and great competitor. If he can go to better situation and play deep into NCAA Tournament or go pro then he should.

If I was the coaching staff I'd recognize this situation already and push for a decision one way or another. Can't have your best player being unhappy heading into the season which can disrupt culture you desperately need to establish.

You think pushing him into a decision will make him happier?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »

If St.John's screwed him and hired someone like Mullin or Roberts, I'd understand him leaving.
But that's not what happened here. The University did right by the players, so every one of them should have stayed put.

There should be some feeling for the program from LJ. How have they wronged him? Why is he looking to leave? Maybe, IDK, it's him, and not Coach Anderson that is the problem?

Of course, kids should be allowed to go to a better situation, but not for any reason. It's made a joke of the transfer rule. Deal with some adversity and work through it. LJ should take some ownership of the season he had. If he wants to be a leader, ok. We all want that, too. Stop shaking your head and throwing your arms up in protest on every play.

This, childish behavior, btw, is something I've noticed our guys are doing a LOT less since Coach Anderson took over. Don't you agree?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:32:47 PM by Poison »

jr49

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
Did you see any improvement from him this past season? 
No, his luck he gets another chance to show he can play correct and hard in any style.It is also coachs job to do everything he can to help LJ get it done. Thats how you
get young men to wanna play for you.

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2020, 03:45:44 PM »
You think pushing him into a decision will make him happier?

No it's not but these are things you have to do as a staff. Can't be July when you figure it out.

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
If St.John's screwed him and hired someone like Mullin or Roberts, I'd understand him leaving.
But that's not what happened here. The Univ ersatz did right by the players, so every one of them should have stayed put.

There should be some feeling for the program from LJ. How have they wronged him? Why is he looking to leave? Maybe, IDK, it's him, and not Coach Anderson that is the problem?

Of course, kids should be allowed to go to a better situation, but not for any reason. It's made a joke of the transfer rule. Deal with some adversity and work through it. LJ should take some ownership of the season he had. If he wants to be a leader, ok. We all want that, too. Stop shaking your head and throwing your arms up in protest on every play.

This, childish behavior, btw, is something I've noticed our guys are doing a LOT less since Coach Anderson took over. Don't you agree?

This makes no sense. He committed to play for Mullin and his system. Did LJ not look like a great addition his first yr? He did not commit to this staff. It's that simple. I do not understand why this is even a debate.

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »

All due respect, but someone with Anderson's experience has a read on this for sure and knows the best approach to handle.  He is very connected to the day-in-day out, unlike the past.  I thought the culture last year was very good.  Even with the Steere stuff, the level of "drama" did not seem to proliferate the same way it did in prior regimes.  And the kids, including LJ, competing their a** off.  I thought the culture/day-to-day was good compared to the past.