Landesberg wants out!

• 54 replies

Marillac

Re: Landesberg wants out!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »

Marillac,

Which gms have you been talking to that allow you to know he is not on nba radars?  There was an espn article a few weeks ago I posted that picked him as a potential sleeper.  I bet hed go late first round.  Smaller hs guys have been taken high without proving anything in college. As acc roy, syl IS on the radar and will get drafted if he leaves.  Itd be smart of him to stay and get stronger and higher in the draft but hed get paid if he declared, no doubt.

No chance that Syl would get drafted this year.  He is not strong enough and he doesn't play defense.  If Syl wants to be a first rounder and have a realistic shot at making a roster, he will probably have to stay three or four years.  Even then there is not certainty.

Right now he is just not NBA ready.

He is extremely skilled and has good size, but he is far from a freak athlete like most of the guards and forwards in the NBA.  There is an orgy of talent at the SG/SF positions over the next few years in the draft.

Since when did the NBA draft on current skill and not potential?  A few the guys you mentioned as AWESOME guards or forwards will be 2nd round picks or undrafted.  You're not thinking like an NBA gm.  Some of those guys have maxed out as far as how good they will get pretty much.  You're thinking about the college game and not potential and the NBA and how  GMs draft.  Syl would def be drafted.  Some of the guys you list wouldn't.

Syl is not a first round or even mid-second round pick this year.  Next year will be even tougher, becuase the talent pool is ridiculously deep.

In terms of potential, Syl doesn't have the athetlic ability of a kid like Willie Warren and he doesn't play defense.  I think athletic ability pretty much sets your potential or celing. 

The point of my post was that you can't just "turn pro."  There is more to it than that.  Even Tyreke Evans is considering staying another year and Syl is no Evans.  Johnny Flynn is another kid staying at least three years. 

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »
Former Holy Cross star Sylven Landesberg will wait to see who replaces Dave Leitao as the new Virginia coach before making any decisions about his future, according to Holy Cross coach Paul Gilvary.

The 6-foot-6 Landesberg, a Brooklyn native, led Virginia in scoring as a freshman at 16.6 points per game and also averaged 6.0 rebounds and was named the ACC Freshman of the Year.

“He’s a pretty sharp kid,” Gilvary said Tuesday by phone. “His parents are very smart people, too. He wouldn’t do anything until a new coach is hired and then he’ll meet with the new coach and if any decision needs to be made it won’t be made until things play out.”

Landesberg originally chose Virginia over St. John’s and Georgia Tech

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
Former Holy Cross star Sylven Landesberg will wait to see who replaces Dave Leitao as the new Virginia coach before making any decisions about his future, according to Holy Cross coach Paul Gilvary.

The 6-foot-6 Landesberg, a Brooklyn native, led Virginia in scoring as a freshman at 16.6 points per game and also averaged 6.0 rebounds and was named the ACC Freshman of the Year.

“He’s a pretty sharp kid,” Gilvary said Tuesday by phone. “His parents are very smart people, too. He wouldn’t do anything until a new coach is hired and then he’ll meet with the new coach and if any decision needs to be made it won’t be made until things play out.”

That is not encouraging news.  Obviously if they fire a coach they are going to bring in somebody better. 

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

That is not encouraging news.  Obviously if they fire a coach they are going to bring in somebody better.

http://www.vphoops.com/

A lot of people are saying Sean Miller from Xavier….or Jeff Capel at Oklahoma….or even Anthony Grant at VCU……

But my call is that Fran McCaffery will be the next head coach of the University of Virginia.  The reason…..in the early 80’s, Fran was an assistant coach at Penn.  The head coach?……..Craig Littlepage - currently the Athletic Director at the University of Virginia

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »

A lot of people are saying Sean Miller from Xavier….or Jeff Capel at Oklahoma….or even Anthony Grant at VCU……

But my call is that Fran McCaffery will be the next head coach of the University of Virginia.  The reason…..in the early 80’s, Fran was an assistant coach at Penn.  The head coach?……..Craig Littlepage - currently the Athletic Director at the University of Virginia

my call as well marco i said it earlier in the topic, fran will at least get an interview
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »
no way grant will take the job. 

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »

my call as well marco i said it earlier in the topic, fran will at least get an interview

Mase, that was in a blog-link is above. I think Fran will get an interview-but I think hes waiting on the Notre Dame or maybe Arizona gig

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

They will spend $$$ for a Grant or Miller type.  He'll stay - who wants to sit out a year if you're getting a good coach?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »

Mase, that was in a blog-link is above. I think Fran will get an interview-but I think hes waiting on the Notre Dame or maybe Arizona gig

oh sorry about that, my dad is a siena alum and a huge fan, hes been worried about leito getting fired all season

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
syls status on face book now says leaving va and back to ny, does anybody know when va has spring break?

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
syls status on face book now says leaving va and back to ny, does anybody know when va has spring break?

Their Spring break was a few weeks ago.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

It's a likely scenario.  I was hoping Fran McCaffrey would be around when the administration relieves Norm of his coaching duties and makes him ambassador of good will and basketball camps.  Hey, I can hope.

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »

Their Spring break was a few weeks ago.

so this could be good news. im guessing norm cant talk to him untill he officially announces he is transferring?  (im not saying he is going to)

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42:46 AM »
They will spend $$$ for a Grant or Miller type.  He'll stay - who wants to sit out a year if you're getting a good coach?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/CAVS31_20090330-223703/244798/

Tony Bennett