Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies

Moose

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
so shorter than polee but taller than dj?

Def shorter than Polee, who is pretty much the same as Sampson to me.
I would say Harkless plays much taller than DJ but if head to head I'd say he's taller.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2010, 02:00:35 AM »

I would say Harkless plays much taller than DJ but if head to head I'd say he's taller.

So taller than Scotch and Bobre45, but shorter than Shaq?

Moose

« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2010, 05:05:35 AM »

So taller than Scotch and Bobre45, but shorter than Shaq?

Only you have met those 3 illustrious people.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2010-National-Prep-Showcase-Elite-2011-Prospects-3584/

Maurice Harkless, 6-7, Small Forward, South Kent, 2011
Committed to St. John's

Joseph Treutlein

A long and athletic small forward with a raw skill set, Maurice Harkless (#43 Scout, #45 Rivals, #42 ESPN) is a player who does most of his damage off hustle and grit at this stage, though has good long-term potential if he can further develop his skills. Harkless doesn't have much bulk on his frame now, though it looks like he could pack on another 10 pounds or so comfortably down the road.

Offensively, Harkless doesn't consistently show much besides finishing on cuts, alley oops, and getting out in transition, where he shows the ability to finish capably with both power and finesse, possibly relying on the latter more often than he should. He shows good body control and coordination on his finishes, being able to put in floaters and reverse lay-ups when the situation calls for it, while also showing a pretty good activity level in seizing opportunities.

In terms of shot creation with the ball, Harkless shows a somewhat comfortable handle, though he seems to lack confidence and doesn't really show the ability to take advantage of his athleticism with the ball just yet. He occasionally will pull off an aggressive move going to the hole when in isolation, but struggles when not in space.

Harkless didn't have much success with his perimeter jumper here, hitting on just 1-of-6 from three-point range, though his spot-up shot has solid form and he likewise looks good at the free-throw line. His pull-up jumper, on the other hand, is prone to errant misses, and he doesn't appear to have the control to be a consistent threat there at this stage.

Defensively, like most of the rest of the Red Storm recruiting class, Harkless brings a good activity level to the table and has excellent tools, being a major threat in the passing lanes and showing flashes of great things defending on the ball. He has a pretty good stance defending the perimeter, while also usually putting in very high effort levels, though he can lose focus at times. He also doesn't contribute on the boards nearly as much as someone with his size and athleticism could, as he pulled in just eight boards between his two games here.

Looking forward, Harkless should be able to contribute right off the bat at the college level defending and finishing plays by utilizing his athleticism and length, though further polishing his skills will be critical for his long-term success at the college level and beyond. He shows decent flashes with both his ball-handling and shooting on the offensive end, but will need to develop much more consistency in both areas.

« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »
Maurice Harkless (South Kent) - Kiski had absolutely no answer for the elite brand of athleticism and finishing ability Harkless featured throughout Friday’s chaotic, up-and-down contest. The future St. John’s forward dazzled with his strength and quick-bounce around the rim, dominating the glass on both ends and finishing above and through contact to score with ease and get to the line. Already possessing tremendous upside at the next level, adding a consistent perimeter jumper and expanding his face-up game to be able to consistently create his own shot from the wing will only enhance the problems he’ll present to opposing defenders down the road in the Big East.

He also went for 22 against Kiski on Friday night.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1745/Hoop-Mountain-Prep-Classic-Friday-Recap.php

« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
Maurice Harkless (South Kent)- Much like Ledo, the St. John’s recruit is a dominant athlete with a college-ready body who shows flashes of spectacular finishing ability above the rim in transition.  Catching a pair of emphatic, one-handed lobs against Lawrence, Harkless shows potential to be a consistent shooter from the perimeter, a part of his game that he must become more confident in to be able to create high-percentage offense for himself next year in the Big East.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1747/Hoop-Mountain-Prep-Classic-Sunday-Recap.php

« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
Per Alex Kline....

St. John's bound Maurice Harkless had 22 points & Rutgers bound Derrick Randall had 19 in a South Kent (CT) win over Northfield Mount Hermon

[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/12913842413641728[/tweet]

gonzalo

« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2010, 04:38:14 AM »
Per Alex Kline,

St. John's bound @Moe_Harkless had 29 of his 33 points in the 2nd half to lead South Kent (CT) to a 12 point win over Bridgton Academy (ME).

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/13751098351296512

gonzalo

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2011, 04:57:02 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2011/01/14/2011-01-14_south_kents_maurice_harkless_queens_product_and_st_johnssignee_returns_to_city_f.html?r=sports

Harkless is the youngest player at South Kent, a prep school of only 150 students. He's one of many talented players on the roster, which includes future Big East commits such as Derrick Randall, a 6-8 Brooklyn product who's headed to Rutgers, and Cincinnati-bound Ge'lawn Guyn.

As the team's starting small forward, Harkless faces players who are committed to the top colleges in the country. He guards opponents who are bigger, stronger and older.

It's an experience Harkless is relishing. He is currently averaging more than 20 points per game

"Every game is a tough game." Harkless said. "It's a battle every night, but it's good for me. I'm working hard to improve on my jump shot, getting bigger and stronger to play."

gonzalo

« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2011, 01:39:18 AM »
When Maurice Harkless became new St. John’s coach Steve Lavin’s first recruit for the Class of 2011 in late August, the talented 6-foot-8 forward’s decision was met with sideways looks and confusion.

Why would one of the top talents in the country – the most highly regarded senior from New York City – opt for the local program that had fallen on such tough times recently, he said he was repeatedly asked.

Harkless isn’t hearing those questions anymore, not after Lavin and his staff put together one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

“Now it’s hard to find someone saying that,” the Jamaica, Queens native said at Saturday's Big Apple Basketball Invitational at Baruch College.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/started_john_pied_piper_harkless_HlDrqvn8YTLFEwF5vhYa0M#ixzz1BGvybEsI

« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

gonzalo

« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
St. John's signee Moe Harkless led South Kent (CT) to a 71-63 win over Academy of the New Church (PA) with 22 points & 8 rebounds.

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/28993397880524800
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:43:33 AM by gonzalo »

« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »
Mo Harkless had 26 points [on 9/18 shooting (0/4 3pt FG), 8/10 FT], 6 rebounds (1 offensive), and 4 turnovers against a good Brehm Prep (IL)  team at the NPSI. They won in OT and he was named player of the game.

« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
Mo Harkless had 26 points [on 9/18 shooting (0/4 3pt FG), 8/10 FT], 6 rebounds (1 offensive), and 4 turnovers against a good Brehm Prep (IL)  team at the NPSI. They won in OT and he was named player of the game.

Sounds like a solid game by Harkless.  I see he had a bad day from behind the arc, but sometimes you have those kinda days.  Were you at the game, Sleaveless One?  How did he look, if you happened to be there?

gonzalo

« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
St. John's bound Moe Harkless scored 35 points for South Kent (CT) yesterday in a loss.

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/37200597719457792

« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
Winchendon guard Corbyn Moe also scored 21 points in the win. South Kent was led by St. John's-bound forward Maurice Harkless, who had 25 points on the night.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post?id=4990
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:42:26 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/40543060056088577[/tweet]

St. John's bound Maurice Harkless of South Kent (CT) posts his first career triple double with 33 points, 17 rebounds & 10 assists.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:53:32 PM by 0404 »

« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
wow thats a helluva game
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.