Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
Anderson will go to Seton Hall

Baldi, I'm gone nearly a years time. And you still the same stone-cold pot stirrer.

Why would that be stirring the pot? He would be the man at Seton Hall as soon as he stepped on campus, and imo  here he would be fighting for minutes with guys that have a year under their belts already-Sampson, Harkless,Garrett ,Pointer

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »

Baldi, I'm gone nearly a years time. And you still the same stone-cold pot stirrer.

Why would that be stirring the pot? He would be the man at Seton Hall as soon as he stepped on campus, and imo  here he would be fighting for minutes with guys that have a year under their belts already-Sampson, Harkless,Garrett ,Pointer

Be "the man"?  With no other talent there?  To tell the truth, Anderson's greatest asset is that he is not "the man". Butva facilitator of offense for everybody else.  At  a place like the Hall, with littlemtalent around him, he"ll be doubled and much less likely to facilitate anything.  I think the point was that he wouldn't necessarily be fighting for minutes over one of those forwards, because he can get time anywhere on the court frommthe 1 through 5 spots, and get those guys in positionmto score both on the break and in the offense.   I think for KA to be really good, he needs other talent around him that will allow him to shine.  Seton Hall IMO would be a big mistake.

boo3

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »

Be "the man"?  With no other talent there?  To tell the truth, Anderson's greatest asset is that he is not "the man". Butva facilitator of offense for everybody else.  At  a place like the Hall, with littlemtalent around him, he"ll be doubled and much less likely to facilitate anything.  I think the point was that he wouldn't necessarily be fighting for minutes over one of those forwards, because he can get time anywhere on the court frommthe 1 through 5 spots, and get those guys in positionmto score both on the break and in the offense.   I think for KA to be really good, he needs other talent around him that will allow him to shine.  Seton Hall IMO would be a big mistake.

Good post. Could not agree more. Going to Seton Hall is dumb.  There is zero excitement with that program.  He wants to play in Newark in front of 4k people? 

« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

So he can play the 5 spot in the Big East? Of course I would love for him to come to SJU, but say Gathers and Jevon Thomas are also on board-you got 13 top players looking for minutes. Is he better than the games already here for a year? If he can play center, than by all means

MCNPA

« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »

So he can play the 5 spot in the Big East? Of course I would love for him to come to SJU, but say Gathers and Jevon Thomas are also on board-you got 13 top players looking for minutes. Is he better than the games already here for a year? If he can play center, than by all means

Hes not a center, but at 6'8" he is certainly capable, especially if we're playing "small". We just don't need him to play center, but I think the point was that I think Choz was trying to make was that he can be dangerous from anywhere.  I to am skeptical that he can be our PG, but I will acknowledge that he will get minutes at quite a few spots with his versatility. 

« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »

Hes not a center, but at 6'8" he is certainly capable, especially if we're playing "small". We just don't need him to play center, but I think the point was that I think Choz was trying to make was that he can be dangerous from anywhere.  I to am skeptical that he can be our PG, but I will acknowledge that he will get minutes at quite a few spots with his versatility. 

I guess what Im asking is Anderson better than the guys we have coming in this year? Cause it seems we already will have a few players that will be playing multiple spots on the floor. Barring transfers etc, there will be few mins to be had imo

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Per Scout....

Kyle Anderson, PF/PG, NJ Playaz – After struggling some on Saturday evening, Anderson was back to his usual self on Sunday. The multi positional star had it all working. He was setting up teammates with assists, grabbing rebounds, and also making shots both off the dribble and from the outside. Quite simply there was no matchup for Anderson and his dominance was key in a blowout victory.

http://www.scout.com/2/1075668.html

MCNPA

« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »

I guess what Im asking is Anderson better than the guys we have coming in this year? Cause it seems we already will have a few players that will be playing multiple spots on the floor. Barring transfers etc, there will be few mins to be had imo

Let's let the coaches worry about the minutes.  Let's just worry about the wins.  If Lavin proves that he can keep getting kids into the NBA and also keeps wining, there will be more than a steady stream of top 50 talent flowing into SJU for a long time.  Let's get to the tourney, get on tv a lot, and recruit NBA-type talent.  It's the type of high octane fuel that makes programs great instead of just good.

MCNPA

« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
If by some chance we are able to land Kyle Anderson and gathers, we almost assuredly are in line for another top 5-8 ranking for our recruiting class for 2012.  We'd leapfrog because andersonnis top 10 and Gathers top 40 and rising.  I also can't see Jevon Thomas sitting outside the top 100 next season.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:22:19 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
I can tell you SHU is throwing the kitchen sink at this kid.  I don't think there is any question that Willard and co. see KA as the type of recruit that could somehow change the perception at SHU.

What would scare me if I am a SHU fan is Sterling Gibbs.  Here is a kid that played at SHU Prep.  Was recruited by Gonzo and Willard before committing to Maryland.  Then he re-opens after Gary Williams retires and you think he basically fell into SHU's lap.  In the end the kid doesn't even give SHU a sniff, instead committing after one visit to Texas. 

MCNPA

« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
I can tell you SHU is throwing the kitchen sink at this kid.  I don't think there is any question that Willard and co. see KA as the type of recruit that could somehow change the perception at SHU.

What would scare me if I am a SHU fan is Sterling Gibbs.  Here is a kid that played at SHU Prep.  Was recruited by Gonzo and Willard before committing to Maryland.  Then he re-opens after Gary Williams retires and you think he basically fell into SHU's lap.  In the end the kid doesn't even give SHU a sniff, instead committing after one visit to Texas.

Amazingly enough after reading what most of those hall fans had to say about Gibbs, a good bunch thought he wasn't good enough to "waste" a scholarship on.  Willard sees Kyle Anderson as somebody that can potentially get his ship righted.  He can't, because there is a real lack of talent at most spots there, but he seems to think so.  I don't see KA heading there because it's certainly not in his best interest if he wants to let his game shine.  Willard screwed things up by backing off Elijah Carter who basically fell into Rutgers lap this spring.  I just don't see Willard having enough ammo to get it done.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »

Amazingly enough after reading what most of those hall fans had to say about Gibbs, a good bunch thought he wasn't good enough to "waste" a scholarship on.  Willard sees Kyle Anderson as somebody that can potentially get his ship righted.  He can't, because there is a real lack of talent at most spots there, but he seems to think so.  I don't see KA heading there because it's certainly not in his best interest if he wants to let his game shine.  Willard screwed things up by backing off Elijah Carter who basically fell into Rutgers lap this spring.  I just don't see Willard having enough ammo to get it done.
I have no idea how Willard could look at his roster and back off of ANYONE.

« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »

I have no idea how Willard could look at his roster and back off of ANYONE.

Willard didn't back off.  Trust me they wanted Gibbs, unfortunately for them the interest was not mutual.  And that is the larger issue.

« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
BTW-It appears that KA had a nice trip to UCLA yesterday:

"I met the coaches and everything," Anderson said. "They have nice facilities and I heard they are having new locker rooms being put in and a brand new weight room. Pauley Pavilion is getting renovated so it was a good display."

At this point in Anderson's recruitment, he doesn't have a favorite and is wide open for his college choice.

Anderson has from many schools so the it is going to be a hard decision when it comes down to making that all important decision. What is Anderson going to be looking for in a college?

"A good history with the coach," Anderson said. "The supporting cast, who is going to be there. Little things like that and a school with a good academic history.

What does Anderson know about UCLA's coach Ben Howland?

"I know Coach Howland does a good job with point guards," Anderson said. "He has been doing a good job with point guards the last five years and I heard that he had a good history developing point guards at Pittsburgh."

When asked if he ever thought about going to school, playing all the way across the country at UCLA, Anderson said, "Yes I do think about it."

http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1227111

« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »
someone put before he was going to seton hall...hes not going to seton hall

MCNPA

« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »
BTW-It appears that KA had a nice trip to UCLA yesterday:

"I met the coaches and everything," Anderson said. "They have nice facilities and I heard they are having new locker rooms being put in and a brand new weight room. Pauley Pavilion is getting renovated so it was a good display."

At this point in Anderson's recruitment, he doesn't have a favorite and is wide open for his college choice.

Anderson has from many schools so the it is going to be a hard decision when it comes down to making that all important decision. What is Anderson going to be looking for in a college?

"A good history with the coach," Anderson said. "The supporting cast, who is going to be there. Little things like that and a school with a good academic history.

What does Anderson know about UCLA's coach Ben Howland?

"I know Coach Howland does a good job with point guards," Anderson said. "He has been doing a good job with point guards the last five years and I heard that he had a good history developing point guards at Pittsburgh."

When asked if he ever thought about going to school, playing all the way across the country at UCLA, Anderson said, "Yes I do think about it."

http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1227111

I do question Howland's wisdom in having Kyle Anderson visit alongside another top 20 PG in Smith-Rivera.  Not sure it is the smartest move if you're trying to land Anderson who is pretty forward about the fact that he wants to compete for the starting PG spot. I mean, the kid just tweeted that not landing MoMo/harrow kept SJU on his list, yet Howland has him in house the same time as the #2 rated PG in the class?  Perplexing IMO.

As far as Anderson goes, I think that regardless if he can play the starting PG role or not, we have to put the Full-court on him and recruit him as a PG/POint forward.  If Jevon decides that it cramps his style, well then so be-it and we have to recruit an additional PG that is not Jevon.  I sense that might happen if we land a kid like Kyle Anderson, but it is a calculated risk that Lavin has to take to land a top talent like Anderson.  Anderson can certainly be a player that no teams can match-up without a double-team.  We'd just need the staff to bring Mark Jackson in to teach Kyle the skills that made him so effective. 

Moose

« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:12 AM »
someone put before he was going to seton hall...hes not going to seton hall

That was just Baldi being............. well Baldi.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »
MCNPA: As to your question concerning Howland. Simply put it's how we do thing at UCLA, yes it would be nice it you came here,but .................Dad seem just a little too involve and UCLA has had those type of dads before mostly in football but I'm sure a few in basketball

MCNPA

« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
MCNPA: As to your question concerning Howland. Simply put it's how we do thing at UCLA, yes it would be nice it you came here,but .................Dad seem just a little too involve and UCLA has had those type of dads before mostly in football but I'm sure a few in basketball

I agree with you about Kyles dad being too involved.  It's annoying and the dad's think that they are their kid's agent.  To tell the truth though, on SJU's end, I don't think they will BS KA and tell him he's the next PG, if they don't think it's the case.  Lavin and co will certainly try to sell him on coming here, but they won't make empty promises as evidenced by their recruitment of D'Angelo Harrison and others.  I still do question Howland's wisdom thoug, in bringing in the # 1 and 2 guys on the same visit, if he really wants to land them.  In this day and age playing hard-to-get doesnt work that well.  Howland has not been making as many waves on the recruiting trail lately, so we'll see how his strategy works out ultimately.

Moose

« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »

I agree with you about Kyles dad being too involved.  It's annoying and the dad's think that they are their kid's agent.  To tell the truth though, on SJU's end, I don't think they will BS KA and tell him he's the next PG, if they don't think it's the case.  Lavin and co will certainly try to sell him on coming here, but they won't make empty promises as evidenced by their recruitment of D'Angelo Harrison and others.  I still do question Howland's wisdom thoug, in bringing in the # 1 and 2 guys on the same visit, if he really wants to land them.  In this day and age playing hard-to-get doesnt work that well.  Howland has not been making as many waves on the recruiting trail lately, so we'll see how his strategy works out ultimately.

I know you don't mean anything by the Dad/Agent thing but for every one who is a pain I'm sure there are two who are looking out for the best interest of their kid.  Who knows their kids best?  Maybe they know that the kid will get his head too high dealing with the media and recruiting sites.  So they put the clamp on it.  I have no problem with Kyle's dad's involvement.
Remember who broke the Slice news