Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #340 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
Georgetown makes alot of sense for a kid like Kyle, that's who i'm most worried about.

« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
Georgetown makes alot of sense for a kid like Kyle

So, does St. John's.

Gumby

« Reply #342 on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
I just read something on-line from a local NY paper (NY Post- an article about KA seeing "red".) on KA and St. John's.  It seemed to be very positive as far as our chances with KA.

As KA Senior is very involved with his son, I would think he would want to see his son play in person, as often as possible.  That to me would rule out UCLA and FL.   I do not think SH has the coaching nor players to bring out the very best in KA's ability. 

I believe both KA and his Dad both like the recruiting class that Coach Lavin is bringing in, as per the article I read.

So the prior posters might be right in we are in competition with the Hoyas for the services of KA.  As both KA and his Dad both appreciate the way Coach Lavin and his staff have worked with them over the past year, I am confident that 9/20 with be a "red letter" day for KA and us.

Moose

« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #344 on: July 10, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
Style-wise I'd be most worried about Florida...but if Kyle is visiting Gainesvile in August, you'd have to write them off.  It's a swamp and no students will be on campus.  It's also not easy to travel to and KA Senior would rarely see him play.

I think it comes down to us and G'town.  His dad is really involved and seems to be doing a great job.  Having his son a half-hour's drive away is the best situation for a kid trying to make it to the next level.  With KA, Jevon, and RG St. John's could be a Sweet 16 team or better all four years of KA's eligibility--especially if we land McCoullagh in '14.

I love the comment about his son being "the ultimate Robin" and needing talent around him.  We'll probably have the longest and most athletic team in the country (by a longshot) and we have no true pg. 

The sooner KA announces, the better for us. 

« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
Georgetown makes alot of sense for a kid like Kyle

So, does St. John's.

Oh, I agree, and my gut tells me it will be SJU, but I am worried that Georgetown could steal him.

« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
Anderson said Georgetown was his dream school growing up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #347 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »

I read that somewhere (along, with UNC) about a year or so ago.  I guess he told you that at the camp.  His AAU teammate (Myles Davis) also said the same.  Nevertheless, I still really like our chances.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:11:24 PM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #348 on: July 10, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Gut feeling tells me it will be SJU.  Certainly I think Georgetown is tough competition.  I just think that SJU offers Anderson more for his style of play. 

SJU's advantages over our opponents are:

1) proximity to home. 
2) dynamic roster full of talent. 
3) MSG/exposure
4) Style of play
5) NBA-savy roster
6) coach who sends player to the NBA

Yes the Hall is also close to home, but they have a really poor roster talent-wise compared to SJU.  Willard also has to prove himself.  He has no track record.  JT3's style at Georgetown is slow-down, mechanical and boring for the fans.  The GU fans are unhappy with it.  Lots of former players were unhappy with it.  UCLA has a good coach and many advantages, but it is across the country.  Bottom line is that Kyle has said it is important to him to be close to his family.  All other advantages IMO point to SJU. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:27:05 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #349 on: July 10, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

I read that somewhere (along, with UNC) about a year or so ago.  I guess he told you that at the camp.  His AAU teammate (Myles Davis) also said the same.  Nevertheless, I still really like our chances.

In this fantastic 2011 recruiting class of Lavin's, which kids had SJU as their "dream school" growing up???  Maybe Mo Harkless?  Even him I'm not sure.  SJU has been almost nobody's "dream school" if they've grown up in the last 15 years because we've stunk.  The kid will choose where is best for him.

Gumby

« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »
A few things:
*  We were not much of a BB force while KA was growing up.  So I could see his views on that.  What BB player in his right mind would have us as his real "dream" team during the Coach Roberts' era?
*  If there is a "steal", it will be us stealing KA from the Hoyas and having the services of KA.  I do not see Sheriff Lavin allowing any team to "steal" one of our recruits.

« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
Corey Fisher was a fan of St. John's, so to me that sentimentality gets overrated. Kyle Anderson isn't picking his school based on that. He has to look at what is best for him and his future. I think St. John's has to look good in his eyes.

Marcus, I agree with most of your take. But to Gtown's defense, JTIII has put guys in the league over his tenure. Green, Hibbert, and Monroe. Even Summers got drafted 2nd round. So he's turning out Pros. Obviously, we know Lavin has a track record as well going back to UCLA.

It's going to be interesting. Both schools offer a lot. 

MCNPA

« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
Corey Fisher was a fan of St. John's, so to me that sentimentality gets overrated. Kyle Anderson isn't picking his school based on that. He has to look at what is best for him and his future. I think St. John's has to look good in his eyes.

Marcus, I agree with most of your take. But to Gtown's defense, JTIII has put guys in the league over his tenure. Green, Hibbert, and Monroe. Even Summers got drafted 2nd round. So he's turning out Pros. Obviously, we know Lavin has a track record as well going back to UCLA.

It's going to be interesting. Both schools offer a lot.

Not saying that JT3 isn't turning out pros.  Just that the system works better for certain players(bigs), than it does wings and guards in general.  The style of play won't get KA running on the break.  It's mechanical and structured.  Former players have complained about it being restricting.   JT3 is a fine coach.  I just think when you look at our advantages in this particular recruiting battle, we should come out ahead.  It doesn't mean we will, but I think it might.   

« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
A few things:
*  We were not much of a BB force while KA was growing up.  So I could see his views on that.  What BB player in his right mind would have us as his real "dream" team during the Coach Roberts' era?
*  If there is a "steal", it will be us stealing KA from the Hoyas and having the services of KA.  I do not see Sheriff Lavin allowing any team to "steal" one of our recruits.

Agree on both accounts, Gumby.

« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
My money is on St. Johns with him because i think our style of play best fits him and will show off his versatility for when he decides to make the jump to the NBA (Assuming he will be good enough). I see him playing that Justin Brownlee role with us using his size to work the middle as well as working on the perimeter to create (Better Jump shot then JB). I see St. Johns as his best fit I just hope he feels the same

MCNPA

« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »
Seton Hall offered another 2012 PG today named Madison Jones.  Not sure if the timing is coincidental, but gotta like the fact that the same day Kyle picks the date he's announcing, Seton Hall offers another PG in the class. 

« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
Seton Hall offered another 2012 PG today named Madison Jones.  Not sure if the timing is coincidental, but gotta like the fact that the same day Kyle picks the date he's announcing, Seton Hall offers another PG in the class.

Probably doesnt mean a thing all teams offer several players at all positions besides Seton Hall is probably a long shot anyways similar to what guys like Kemba Walker once were to us

« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
I think it's Gtown and us. Gtown isnt that far from where they live so I wouldnt really give us the home court advantage. It's driveable.

I like our chances though

MCNPA

« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »

Probably doesnt mean a thing all teams offer several players at all positions besides Seton Hall is probably a long shot anyways similar to what guys like Kemba Walker once were to us

The fact that they offered another PG for his class today certainly says something about how they are feeling about the situation. 

« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
JT3 is an IVY league style coach in the Big East, that kind of play might work for and attract some players-is that Anderson?  Is Mike Rice after him?