Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

pk

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #780 on: August 12, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
Didn't Magic win a Nat'l Champ? And he did okay in the pros. For all the overanalyzing on this thread if he is willing to play for Lavin, do you all NOT give him an available ship? Me? I'd take him. I hope, if given the opportunity he takes us, too.

« Reply #781 on: August 12, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »
Didn't Magic win a Nat'l Champ? And he did okay in the pros. For all the overanalyzing on this thread if he is willing to play for Lavin, do you all NOT give him an available ship? Me? I'd take him. I hope, if given the opportunity he takes us, too.

The consensus on this thread would be to give him an available scholarship, as he certainly has one.  Only one person is currently overanalyzing and he likes to stir the pot, so to speak.

« Reply #782 on: August 12, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

You just overanalyzed what I posted.Even if I compared him to Magic, its a huge complement. All Im saying is, what works on the High School level might not work for him in the Big East,handle wise. And of course I want him at St Johns, I think he;ll be here
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:14:49 PM by Marco Baldi »

LJSA

« Reply #783 on: August 12, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
I always believed it when I was told Magic is 6'9", so I never bothered sizing him up against other players on the same court. And then I saw an episode of his crappy talk show when Howard Stern was a guest, and they were the exact same size. I distinctly remember Drew Carey commenting on this from the audience as well.

crgreen

« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
I always believed it when I was told Magic is 6'9", so I never bothered sizing him up against other players on the same court. And then I saw an episode of his crappy talk show when Howard Stern was a guest, and they were the exact same size. I distinctly remember Drew Carey commenting on this from the audience as well.

Recent photo of Magic and 6'9 former Laker AC Green

By the way - oft repeated, but does anyone actually remember the '79 MSU team?  Against Bird and Indiana State, Mark Brkovich (starting guard) played 39 minutes.  Terry Donnelly (Starting guard) played 39 Minutes.   Greg Kelser (Starting SF) played 32 minutes.  Jay Vincent (starting Center) played 19 minutes due to fouls (backed up by Ron Charles)......Earvin Johnson - started at Power Forward and played 35 minutes...

WHERE an Anderson (like a Johnson) ends up playing on the court is really immaterial (at least for DICUSSION) - it'll all work itself out ON the court if he comes to St. Johns

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:07:21 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »

No way this guy has HIV or AIDS

crgreen

« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »

AC looks like he could start another consecutive games streak!  Wish I'd been in that good of shape at 48!  FYI Magic turns 52 on Sunday.

crgreen

« Reply #787 on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
Another - Magic with 6'9 Larry Legend....

« Reply #788 on: August 12, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

AC looks like he could start another consecutive games streak!  Wish I'd been in that good of shape at 48!  FYI Magic turns 52 on Sunday.
It was all those years of abstension and not living the life of an NBA-er that got him there.  BTW, one of Shawn Kemp's roster of 12 is a current HS-er. Probably wind up a top recruit.  He may be the 1st former NBA-er to have a 4/5 star HS-er at every position!

boo3

« Reply #789 on: August 12, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
 While quickness is a tremendous attribute to have on the basketball court,  you don't need it to be successful.  Thanks for the clips of Kyle.  He looks great.  Can't wait to  see him running the point in a little over a year.  2012-13 is going to be a magic year for the Johnnies.

I would say that 3 of the best players to ever play the game had little to no quickness.

1. Magic
  2. Bird
  3. Kareem

« Reply #790 on: August 12, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
While quickness is a tremendous attribute to have on the basketball court,  you don't need it to be successful.  Thanks for the clips of Kyle.  He looks great.  Can't wait to  see him running the point in a little over a year.  2012-13 is going to be a magic year for the Johnnies.

I would say that 3 of the best players to ever play the game had little to no quickness.

1. Magic
  2. Bird
  3. Kareem

Great point boo. Whats tough to figure though, is how these guys would do in todays game. IMO, its different altogether. Nowadays, it seems teams are less likely to take an unathletic player over some dude jumping over the rim.

crgreen

« Reply #791 on: August 12, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

1. Magic
  2. Bird
  3. Kareem

Little to no quickness?  Kareem?????

Methinks you're remembering the 40 year old Kareem (who was still quick enuf to get 23 pts a game) - But Lew Alcindor and the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of 1970-1980 was one of the quickest centers in basketball.

boo3

« Reply #792 on: August 12, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »

1. Magic
  2. Bird
  3. Kareem

Little to no quickness?  Kareem?????

Methinks you're remembering the 40 year old Kareem (who was still quick enuf to get 23 pts a game) - But Lew Alcindor and the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of 1970-1980 was one of the quickest centers in basketball.

True.  I'm 38 so yes, I remember the mid 80's Kareem.  He was still very effective though once he lost his quickness.  How would he compare in his prime to guys like Dwight Howard?   Speaking strictly on quickness here.

« Reply #793 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
Trying to think of a good nickname for him.  Slow Death came to mind but I think I prefer K Smooth...
It's been used for a Harlem GlobeTrotter, but I like "The Finisher." No doubt

LJSA

« Reply #794 on: August 13, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »

I think a huge key was that he had the money to afford the best care back when it was a fairly quick death sentence. With today's advancements, I have no doubt that he'll be around another 20 years.

RedVet

« Reply #795 on: August 13, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »

Tasteless -- and ignorant -- comment, MB.

« Reply #796 on: August 13, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
Back to the great Kyle Anderson.
We are in excellent shape with him and look for him to commit to SJU next month.

MCNPA

« Reply #797 on: August 13, 2011, 11:55:02 PM »
Back to the great Kyle Anderson.
We are in excellent shape with him and look for him to commit to SJU next month.

Sounds like you've heard some good news to me...  I'll take it :)

« Reply #798 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Is going to start taking visits.  Going to UCLA tomorrow and has scheduled his UF visit for a big football weekend of 9/16-17 against rival UT.

Assuming he does not visit anyone after he comes back between 9/17 and his selection date of 9/20 then UF will be getting Kyle's last visit.  Does say he will make unofficials to the other 3 as well.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/09/hurley-says-anderson-is-top-player-in-nation/

Hoping he makes SJU his last one when back from the road trip.  He always said he'd visit all schools so this is no surprise.
He will be visiting SJU with his family you can be sure of that in the very near future.

Gumby

« Reply #799 on: August 14, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
The parents of our recruits have seemed to be impressed with our "new" campus.  I hope that continues.  37 days to go!