Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1300 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
It is some sort of a violation.  Duke had an issues several years back because students had signs hanging out of classroom and dorm room windows as part of an organized campaign during a recruit visit.
@Coachnice persong

pmg911

« Reply #1301 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
Wait a second..  you don't think it is smart recruiting to make sure the students show Kyle the love while he walking around...?

By no means is it a massive factor in the basketball aspect of his recruiting but its just smart on part of the staff to get the word out to students that they have a major recruit on campus. If you don't think this happens all over the country you are nuts and don't know anything about the "campus visit" process.

Efforts like this are with out question  coordinated by 3rd assistants, GA's and managers. You would want a potentially huge recruit to feel as much love as possible while he is on campus. If it is illegal then just about every school in America is committing violations when the big time recruits come to campus.

If Anderson is the only recruit at Florida game next weekend you can all but guaranttee that the students will be aware that the basketball guys will have a major recruit with them. The kids on the team will be telling every girl on campus to make sure they say hello to him by name. Its all part of the recruiting process.

« Reply #1302 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
So...what are the odds this thread hits 2,000 before the 20th?   :)
I'll do 2 responses to you cr to break 1280  :2funny:

cr - you do believe Kyle is staying East coast, no?  Will Willard pull a rabbit out of his hat, with Kyle taking much bigger risk for no deep tourney runs before he's gone?

Hey.  UCLA fan here.  I HOPE he goes to Westwood (I think UCLA hangs their 12th banner with him).  But my gut feeling is he'll be at St. Johns (where he'll raise the team from very good to elite, but not necessarily championship level), unless there's something more going on than has been reported.

I don't really get how you think UCLA would be a championship team with him and St. John's wouldn't be... Not saying that St. John's necessarily would be, but I definitely don't think UCLA has a better team in 2012, as it stands now, than St. John's would.

Well, THIS is the 2012 season, and neither has him!  :)

Anyway.  SJU has some outstanding talent coming in.   But if Kyle arrives as a frosh for the 2013 season, he will be only 1 of 1 or possibly 2 McDonalds All America level players on the team.   In 2013, should he choose UCLA, he could be one of as many as 7 in the UCLA lineup.    I think if Kyle comes to UCLA, Reeves Nelson  (NOT one of those 7!) might stick around for his senior year, and Josh Smith might stick around for his junior year to play with him and Shabazz Mohammad (who my gut says is a UCLA lock as much as it says Kyle is a SJU lock).   

That's not saying SJU COULDN'T win in 2013.  Just that I think it'll be at least three years - till SJU's 2011 class are Jrs & Srs, and the 2012 recrutis ar Sophs and Jrs, that they're a LIKELY championship level team.     And if, as I suspect, Kyle ends up as the #1 or at worst #2 ranked recruit in the entire 2012 class, It's a virtual certainty he's gone pro before that time comes.  Since the year 2000, not a single consensus #1 or #2 recruit has still been in college for his Jr season (the last was Kevin Torbert!), and only 3 were still in school as sophmores - and two of those were THIS past seasons frosh Jared Sullinger and Harrison Barnes, who likely don't stay without the threat of the NBA lockout (the other was Josh McRoberts - who left DURING his soph season at Duke)....
cr, regarding your cogent UCLA analysis, I have only one thing for Howland - "N N N N Nooonan!" Ben's gonna miss! At UCLA, Kyle is another peg on the board. At SJ's, he'll have a chance to do what no other team has done yet = chance to be a LEGEND

« Reply #1303 on: September 07, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
Wait a second..  you don't think it is smart recruiting to make sure the students show Kyle the love while he walking around...?

By no means is it a massive factor in the basketball aspect of his recruiting but its just smart on part of the staff to get the word out to students that they have a major recruit on campus. If you don't think this happens all over the country you are nuts and don't know anything about the "campus visit" process.

Efforts like this are with out question  coordinated by 3rd assistants, GA's and managers. You would want a potentially huge recruit to feel as much love as possible while he is on campus. If it is illegal then just about every school in America is committing violations when the big time recruits come to campus.

If Anderson is the only recruit at Florida game next weekend you can all but guaranttee that the students will be aware that the basketball guys will have a major recruit with them. The kids on the team will be telling every girl on campus to make sure they say hello to him by name. Its all part of the recruiting process.

Hopefully it does not come down to which school has the prettiest girls. SJU is not going to win that battle against any school other than Iona

Gumby

« Reply #1304 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
If some thinks that an outward showing by students and fans of love for a certain recruit is important then all that person has to do is review all 1,300+ posts on KA on this thread.  Now there is true believe in a recruit.

You have to trust in Coach Lavin and his style of recruiting.

I feel in the end, the main deciding factor will be KA and his faith in Coach Lavin.

« Reply #1305 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »

all true - last year, at Terps football game, student body was yelling out the "J - O - Bry - ant" - too late in the recruiting game though :)

« Reply #1306 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
Reaction to G'town:

Kyle Anderson spent Tuesday on an unofficial visit to Georgetown and said it went well.

“The Georgetown visit was great,” the 6-foot-8 St. Anthony point guard said by text. “I met with Coach [John] Thompson [III]. We viewed the campus. We watched film and I also met big coach [John Thompson Jr.)."

Anderson is also friendly with incoming Georgetown guard Jabril Trawick, his former teammate with the Playaz Basketball Club. Trawick played in the New York IS8 spring league alongside Rutgers freshman Myles Mack, Anderson's former Paterson Catholic and St. Anthony teammate.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/06/anderson-talks-georgetown-visit/

I've noticed "Big" John has been helping JTIII recruit lately. 

wonder if louie will make an appearance today.
And show Kyle the new sweater he's mailing down to Big John - along with a "crying" towel  ;D

« Reply #1307 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

That is a football school guy on a weekend visit during a rival football game.

SJU does not pretend to be a football school.  Coach knows what he is doing.

Do you know who D'Angelo Harrison is?  He visited SJU unofficially during August of last year before students arrived.  He then visited Oklahoma St during a football game on national TV against Texas A & M.

Before his official visit to SJU on Midnight Madness he popped for SJU.

SJU has a lot going for it in terms of school, city, MSG, Big East and student body.  But the biggest thing it has going for it as a basketball program is Steve Lavin and the staff and recruits he has put together.  That is why Ricardo Gathers did not go to huge football schools like Texas and LSU.

That is why Pelle and Garrett etc are at SJU and not bigger state/football schools.  Again not suggesting SJU does not have a lot to offer itself, it does.  But the biggest selling point is the man who will be with Kyle today.

« Reply #1308 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
I feel in the end, the main deciding factor will be KA and his faith in Coach Lavin.

I'll go one further....  The entire coaching staff.  IMO, no other staff on Anderson's list are better than the Johnnies coaching staff.  None!

« Reply #1309 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »

I'll go one further....  The entire coaching staff.  IMO, no other staff on Anderson's list are better than the Johnnies coaching staff.  None!
That is VERY hard for any rival to argue.  If SJ is fortunate enough to land Kyle, they will be more scared in the future recruiting battles.  I would be scared!

« Reply #1310 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
I know we all joke around but I'd worry about Seton Hall much more than UCLA. It's going to come down to weather Kyle wants to be the first piece of the puzzle, a piece of the puzzle, or the final piece of the puzzle.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1311 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
I know we all joke around but I'd worry about Seton Hall much more than UCLA. It's going to come down to weather Kyle wants to be the first piece of the puzzle, a piece of the puzzle, or the final piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit, Dave.  I was told at the Peach Jam that it would come down to St. John's and Seton Hall.  So, maybe that is what it will come down to on the 19th.

I feel pretty good about our coaching staff sealing the deal on this one.

« Reply #1312 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »

really? kyle wants to win right?  no disrespect, but is he that full of himself that he thinks he alone can win and go far in the 1 or 2 years at SH?  i would argue that SH is a monumental gamble that could ruin his legacy.

« Reply #1313 on: September 07, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »

That is VERY hard for any rival to argue.  If SJ is fortunate enough to land Kyle, they will be more scared in the future recruiting battles.  I would be scared!

Most outsiders who are knowledgeable about each staff (in this race) probably would certainly say the Johnnies have the best staff of all the respective schools. 

Some are already scared. 

« Reply #1314 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

really? kyle wants to win right?  no disrespect, but is he that full of himself that he thinks he alone can win and go far in the 1 or 2 years at SH?  i would argue that SH is a monumental gamble that could ruin his legacy.

I wouldn't say that would make him "full of himself."  It would say, he's a very confident player.  Trust me, he is certainly a confident player. 

I doubt he'd win at Seton Hall like he could win at St. John's.  He'd be a star at either school, but he'll certainly be on "another stage" at St. John's.  Not to mention, a possible linchpin to a national title contender.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:07:03 PM by mjdinkins »

Gumby

« Reply #1315 on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »

Dave, I like your puzzle analogy.

The problem with puzzles is if you are the first piece you still have no idea of what the puzzle will look like.  And KA would be the first piece in SH's puzzle.  And as KA may be a two and done player, that does not leave much time to work on the puzzle.  He will want to work on his team and preparing for the pros.  He will not have time for some "maybes".

Now the advantage of being the last piece, or something similar, is you can see the finished picture and will have contributed to it being finished.

Bring on Coach Lavin, he is a master puzzle solver!

MCNPA

« Reply #1316 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
As far as the Seton Hall fans organizing goes, let's not mistake desperation for recruiting prowess.  Desperation rarely lands top recruits.  Lavin knows how to sell our program.  He is one of the premier recruiteRS in the country.  An organized effort by students is great in high school or at a midnight madness type event.  Kyle and his parents are making visits and I doubt desperation will be the deciding factor in all of this.  Kyle and his parents will analyze which school he is most comfortable with and which suits him best basketball-wise.  IMO SJU offers every bit as much as our competitors in just about every category and even more in some.  Really it will probably come down to whether Kyle really wants to stay home and which staff he feels most comfortable with career-wise.  Who has the best roster to realize on-court success?  I like our odds on paper.  Now let Lavin do what he was hired to do. A, B, C...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:22:35 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #1317 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

Dave, I like your puzzle analogy.

The problem with puzzles is if you are the first piece you still have no idea of what the puzzle will look like.  And KA would be the first piece in SH's puzzle.  And as KA may be a two and done player, that does not leave much time to work on the puzzle.  He will want to work on his team and preparing for the pros.  He will not have time for some "maybes".

Now the advantage of being the last piece, or something similar, is you can see the finished picture and will have contributed to it being finished.

Bring on Coach Lavin, he is a master puzzle solver!

LOL   A good (and funny) reply to Dave's post, Gumby.  You're correct, as the pieces are moreso in place at St. John's than it is at Seton Hall.  If, he is possibly a two year player than I feel he'll have more of a chance to win at St. John's.         

« Reply #1318 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
does anyone think coach lavin feels any pressure right now?  he has to be aware of the sju fans excitement about KA

« Reply #1319 on: September 07, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
As far as the Seton Hall fans organizing goes, let's not mistake desperation for recruiting prowess.  Desperation rarely lands top recruits.  Lavin knows how to sell our program.  He is one of the premier recruiteRS in the country.  An organized effort by students is great in high school or at a midnight madness type event.  Kyle and his parents are making visits and I doubt desperation will be the deciding factor in all of this.  Kyle and his parents will analyze which school he is most comfortable with and which suits him best basketball-wise.  IMO SJU offers every bit as much as our competitors in just about every category and even more in some.  Really it will probably come down to whether Kyle really wants to stay home and which staff he feels most comfortable with career-wise.  Who has the best roster to realize on-court success?  I like our odds on paper.  Now let Lavin do what he was hired to do. A, B, C...

Agree with your post, MCN.  Trust me, I know it's a desperation move by the "booty" fans.