Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

SJU79

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2220 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
Anderson to Ucla when I said SJU, I was wrong and for that I am sorry. However I do believe 1000% that at the point I posted he was headed to SJU he was in fact headed to SJU and that the person I heard it from would know and stands by what he said. So now the logical question, what transpired to make KA change his mind? I would be lying if I said I had any idea. Hopefully as the season nears closer and I get around the area I will be able to hear and find out more.
 As for my statement on another thread when I said one of the three ineligable players wasnt even close and I got attacked let me say this...no matter where he went or what grade he got Sampson was not going to be cleared, period. Anybody can question this but this I know for a fact.

« Reply #2221 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
I don't buy he makes you NBA ready

well,,,the nba and it's scouts/coaches have bought into it and that's all that counts.

russell westbrook was the 2 while at ucla with some spot duty at pg when their pg was injured. he was not groomed as a pg. he has literally been learning the pg spot on the fly from day 1 while at okc. if you subscribe to the idea that the point is the hardest position to learn, then understand that westbrook had almost no college experience at the point and has helmed an okc team equally as young as him.

I agree with you 100% & i actually love westbrooks dedication & grow while in the NBA but I still don't see the player development from Ben that I saw with Lavin & company with just 1 year at the helm

I will admit Ben does preach D first so from that stand point I could understand.

Just a tough week for St.John fans , now Lets get some BIGS!!!!!

personally i am not high on the idea of coaches input into player development when it comes to NBA READY. and i mean specifically the nba. That is a talent driven league based on pure raw talent/smarts. nba ready can be perceived in many ways, imo. does williams get his 5* players ready(there are NO 4* unc players in the nba. they were all top elites coming out of high school)? does calipari? did donovan teach noah to grow 3" in college? does ks#evs%tsbki kill his 5* talent? does miller get credit for lucking out on derick williams? players mature at a different rate,,,they "get it" at a different rate and this almost always is ascribed to a coach's coaching ability. i'm a believer in pure talent. but it's like this,,,whoever produces the product gets the glory.
great points, especially believing in talent (4 the NBA).  If it was fundamentals, the players wouldn't be traveling and crab dribblin'/steppin' all over the place!

« Reply #2222 on: September 21, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
Anderson to Ucla when I said SJU, I was wrong and for that I am sorry. However I do believe 1000% that at the point I posted he was headed to SJU he was in fact headed to SJU and that the person I heard it from would know and stands by what he said. So now the logical question, what transpired to make KA change his mind? I would be lying if I said I had any idea. Hopefully as the season nears closer and I get around the area I will be able to hear and find out more.
 As for my statement on another thread when I said one of the three ineligable players wasnt even close and I got attacked let me say this...no matter where he went or what grade he got Sampson was not going to be cleared, period. Anybody can question this but this I know for a fact.

79, I will never question you or your sources. You have more than earned your respect and credibility. Please do not refrain from posting any information you find worth sharing.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

dR3w

« Reply #2223 on: September 21, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »

I don't see any reason at all to apologize.  You told us what you heard ... and a kid made a different decision.  I think that most reasonable people understand that and certainly that isn't your fault. 

It would be nice to know what happened, or why he made the decision that he did, but rarely do the real facts ever come out for everyone's general consumption.

« Reply #2224 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Regarding your Sampson comment which was obviously correct, my question to you (as you might know): Were the Brewster counselors pulling their hair out over the grades/class fulfillment issues? Or asleep at the wheel? (Which I would doubt)

Poison

« Reply #2225 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Anderson probably chose UCLA after they gave him an incredible amount of money.

Moose

« Reply #2226 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »

Accusations now.  How lovely.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2227 on: September 21, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
I'm "sure" that was a quote from a SH bulletin board, becuz fans of the Storm no longer possess an recruiting inferiority complex when compared to the former big boys, becuz as Vince Vaughan once said, "Now we have our big boy [recruiting] pants on, and our staff will get what they need to excel over the long term." lol

Seriously, if the wildcard was Kyle going away/not going away, well it flipped on the home teams. So be it.  Any player can hope they'll improve a certain skill set which can help them for the pros, but as mlkt recently stated that he believes in talent.  Kyle would have received comparable prep for the next level here as much as @ UCLA.  If he has the perception there's something better there, so be it, but I'm not buying it when I look at a side by side comparison.  I'll hang my hat on this staff over Ben's because it's a close call either way.  But much like a coach cannot teach height, they also cannot teach NBA level quickness and lateral movement.  KA's edge will always be vision.  I hope for him he has just enough quickness for the NBA so his distribution skills can shine, but if he hits a wall, there'll always be room in a pro league somewhere.  This a good study case to see if a unique skill set player, ala Magic (don't worry, I'm not sayin' he's the next Magic), can make it in the league with a little less physical gifts than most.  I want to still say yes, but it remains to be seen. 

miltk

« Reply #2228 on: September 21, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
I'm "sure" that was a quote from a SH bulletin board, becuz fans of the Storm no longer possess an recruiting inferiority complex when compared to the former big boys, becuz as Vince Vaughan once said, "Now we have our big boy [recruiting] pants on, and our staff will get what they need to excel over the long term." lol

Seriously, if the wildcard was Kyle going away/not going away, well it flipped on the home teams. So be it.  Any player can hope they'll improve a certain skill set which can help them for the pros, but as mlkt recently stated that he believes in talent.  Kyle would have received comparable prep for the next level here as much as @ UCLA.  If he has the perception there's something better there, so be it, but I'm not buying it when I look at a side by side comparison.  I'll hang my hat on this staff over Ben's because it's a close call either way.  But much like a coach cannot teach height, they also cannot teach NBA level quickness and lateral movement.  KA's edge will always be vision.  I hope for him he has just enough quickness for the NBA so his distribution skills can shine, but if he hits a wall, there'll always be room in a pro league somewhere.  This a good study case to see if a unique skill set player, ala Magic (don't worry, I'm not sayin' he's the next Magic), can make it in the league with a little less physical gifts than most.  I want to still say yes, but it remains to be seen.

i think most elites feel they can go anywhere, but anderson seems like a really thoughtful introspective kid. the key here, imo is mccray. mccray works with pros(wall and howard) in their off season. he works with players to get ready for the combines, and let's face it - it ALL happens at the combines. so a player choosing ucla has mccray working with him during his entire stay at ucla. coach howland builds a kid from the ground up and mccray adds the finishing touch with a nice bow for the scouts, and i think that's the package howland is presenting. i believe that package lavin was presenting was "family", and that was whole point of bringing in baron and earl. anderson, as unique as he is, comes with a few physical liabilities that have to be worked on and this is where mccray comes in, and so it may have been the perfect synergy of talents between player and coaches that brought them together.....serendipity

« Reply #2229 on: September 21, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

I, very rarely get into this kind of discussion as it's usually due to sour grapes.  But, I've heard a couple of strange things.  Who knows the validity of 'em?! 

@SJU79:  You're cool, dude!  You can't complete all of your passes or hit all of your shots from the field.  More times, than not you're on point.  Not to mention, you seem grounded whenever you post.

Maybe, the finality of this recruitment will be the last time we have to hear from one of our "friends."   LOL 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:44:50 PM by mjdinkins »

ras

« Reply #2230 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
I too am getting tired of reading about KA.  Im looking foward to going to the  2012 recruiting site and reading that Gathers signed his LOI or a 4 star recruit is showing a lot of interest and set up a visit.

Poison

« Reply #2231 on: September 21, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »

So, do they call you Moose because you're thick :)

« Reply #2232 on: September 21, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »

i think most elites feel they can go anywhere, but anderson seems like a really thoughtful introspective kid. the key here, imo is mccray. mccray works with pros(wall and howard) in their off season. he works with players to get ready for the combines, and let's face it - it ALL happens at the combines. so a player choosing ucla has mccray working with him during his entire stay at ucla. coach howland builds a kid from the ground up and mccray adds the finishing touch with a nice bow for the scouts, and i think that's the package howland is presenting. i believe that package lavin was presenting was "family", and that was whole point of bringing in baron and earl. anderson, as unique as he is, comes with a few physical liabilities that have to be worked on and this is where mccray comes in, and so it may have been the perfect synergy of talents between player and coaches that brought them together.....serendipity

That's also where Rico comes in.  Baron and Barnes and Watson and Curry and Monte and, heck, even Kobe came/come to STJ work with Rico for the same reasons you give for someone to pick McCray.  I'm sure it didn't hurt but it's not such a distinct advantage as you seem to be saying.

« Reply #2233 on: September 21, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
Maybe it was that Kyle spent  week in sunny So Cal and then returned to Paterson which was flooded over by Hurricane Irene that got him and his family thinking, hmmmm...

« Reply #2234 on: September 21, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Maybe it was that Kyle spent  week in sunny So Cal and then returned to Paterson which was flooded over by Hurricane Irene that got him and his family thinking, hmmmm...

I know that's what happened to me.  Committed to LA for 4 years, been here for 14 1/2.  mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

« Reply #2235 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

I know that's what happened to me.  Committed to LA for 4 years, been here for 14 1/2.  mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Kind of ironic - we're getting too much water back east, and soon SoCal won't have enough water!

« Reply #2236 on: September 21, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
UCLA was just more advantageous in the end for Kyle. Leave it at that and wish him the best of success. He's a good kid and I'd like to see him do well. He's a really fun player to watch and at least St. John's won't have to play him in conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2237 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
So, does our series with UCLA continue past this year?  If so, we would play them out there in 2012.  Sir Dom v. Kyle would be a nice matchup.

« Reply #2238 on: September 21, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
I too am getting tired of reading about KA.  Im looking foward to going to the  2012 recruiting site and reading that Gathers signed his LOI or a 4 star recruit is showing a lot of interest and set up a visit.

+1

Enough already with KA, he dissed us.  Best of luck to him at Ucla, but lets move on/forward now.

« Reply #2239 on: September 21, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
Listen guys. You know the real reason He committed to UCLA. I just came back from a visit to the campus of UCLA because my daughter is going to apply their for next year. THE CAMPUS IS TREMENDOUS. It is gorgeous, the facilities are insane. The weather is great. The have a tennis stadium on their campus for godsakes! Any top recruit that hits that campus its going to be very hard to say no. That is some campus. 350 acres of lush, stately campus in WestWood section of LA. Mansions and Rolls Royces are the back drop. SJU was dead from the moment he decided to visit.