Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Moose

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2260 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
In another not shocking decommitment, Dominic Artis a PG previously committed to UCLA, backed out.  Can't help but not think Kyle verbal came into play.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #2261 on: October 06, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
In another not shocking decommitment, Dominic Artis a PG previously committed to UCLA, backed out.  Can't help but not think Kyle verbal came into play.

A lot of things going into the decision.  Kid transferred this year to Findlay Prep - and has apparently been beaten out for the PG spot by some kid from Italy (who looks like he'll end up at Arizona).

And don't forget even before Kyle verballed, Artis was already 2nd string as a frosh - former McD AA PG Larry Drew will be playing his senior year at UCLA next season.

So several factors - Ben Howland has now acknowleged he'll be giving Kyle a shot at the PG spot (as well as other positions - early in the recruting process that wasn't going to be an option), Larry Drew is in for his senior year.   Kyle has tweeted a couple of 2013 prospects about playing with THEM - indicating he's thinking MORE than one and done.   And UCLA is a wide leader for the west coasts top 2013 PG Zach Lavine (being referred to as the 2nd coming of Steph Curry).   Artis may already feel recruited over....

Artis still says UCLA is his favorite, so who knows.    If Lav's wasn't heading to the hospital tho, that would be a call worth making.   Despit it all, Artis IS the real deal - a chance to be a better ballhandling Nate Robinson...(Bruin fans keep saying another Tyus Edney, but Artis is going to be much physically stronger than Edney)...And I REALLY think SJU needs a PG in the 2012 claass....

« Reply #2262 on: October 06, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »

A lot of things going into the decision.  Kid transferred this year to Findlay Prep - and has apparently been beaten out for the PG spot by some kid from Italy (who looks like he'll end up at Arizona).

And don't forget even before Kyle verballed, Artis was already 2nd string as a frosh - former McD AA PG Larry Drew will be playing his senior year at UCLA next season.

So several factors - Ben Howland has now acknowleged he'll be giving Kyle a shot at the PG spot (as well as other positions - early in the recruting process that wasn't going to be an option), Larry Drew is in for his senior year.   Kyle has tweeted a couple of 2013 prospects about playing with THEM - indicating he's thinking MORE than one and done.   And UCLA is a wide leader for the west coasts top 2013 PG Zach Lavine (being referred to as the 2nd coming of Steph Curry).   Artis may already feel recruited over....

Artis still says UCLA is his favorite, so who knows.    If Lav's wasn't heading to the hospital tho, that would be a call worth making.   Despit it all, Artis IS the real deal - a chance to be a better ballhandling Nate Robinson...(Bruin fans keep saying another Tyus Edney, but Artis is going to be much physically stronger than Edney)...And I REALLY think SJU needs a PG in the 2012 claass....

Artis would defiitely be worth a call.  And it is well known that Lavin has a great relationship with the Findlay staff.

« Reply #2263 on: October 06, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »

Artis would defiitely be worth a call.  And it is well known that Lavin has a great relationship with the Findlay staff.

Artis is also a kid who has gotten better each time I've watched him play. 

MCNPA

« Reply #2264 on: October 06, 2011, 09:22:38 AM »
Would be ironic if we pursued Artis, which we probably should.  In addition, Nerlens Noel looks like he might reclassify to 2012.  Maybe worth a run at him as well.

sju89tr

« Reply #2265 on: October 06, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »

I would be shocked if we did not heavily pursue Artis
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:28:19 AM by sju89tr »

Moose

« Reply #2266 on: October 06, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
Would be ironic if we pursued Artis, which we probably should.  In addition, Nerlens Noel looks like he might reclassify to 2012.  Maybe worth a run at him as well.

I think Cuse is making him their priority.

sju89tr

« Reply #2267 on: October 06, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »

Noel?

Moose

« Reply #2268 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »

Noel?

Yea.  He already visited and supposedly he's heading up there for Midnight Madness too.

MCNPA

« Reply #2269 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Noel?

Yea.  He already visited and supposedly he's heading up there for Midnight Madness too.

Still worth a run at him.  All depends on whether Pelle is on board for 2012, which I think he probably is.

sju89tr

« Reply #2270 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »

Noel?

Still worth a run at him.  All depends on whether Pelle is on board for 2012, which I think he probably is.

I think if Pelle is not qualifies in December, chanves are we don't see him in Sept, 12

MCNPA

« Reply #2271 on: October 06, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »

Noel?

I think if Pelle is not qualifies in December, chanves are we don't see him in Sept, 12

I don't think that is necessarily true.  He's still committed to SJU as far as we know.  My guess is he'll need the entire year.  Even today he wished coach Lavin luck  and wished good luck to SJU bball this year.  Comments like that make me think he's probably looking at the whole year at Phelps, but I don't think it precludes him from coming and playing for Lavin next year.  I think there's a very good chance he will.

sju89tr

« Reply #2272 on: October 06, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »

Noel?

I don't think that is necessarily true.  He's still committed to SJU as far as we know.  My guess is he'll need the entire year.  Even today he wished coach Lavin luck  and wished good luck to SJU bball this year.  Comments like that make me think he's probably looking at the whole year at Phelps, but I don't think it precludes him from coming and playing for Lavin next year.  I think there's a very good chance he will.

You may be right but I am not overly optimistic that he will adapt to the east coast in the long run if he has a summer next year to think about where to go to school. I hope he can get qualified in December. But if it's next spring, hoping Sampson and Pelle decide that they are needed at St Johns and it balances our classes much better. 

« Reply #2273 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
I know its off topic but here is the story saying he will not reclassify http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/06/nerlens-noel-considering-reclassifying-to-2012/#more-58967

« Reply #2274 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
It appears he still wants to sign early which leaves a small window of recruiting:

"He obviously has prior relationships with schools that were recruiting him, schools like Oregon and California," Artis said. "But essentially we'll see who comes in and recruits him. We'll see where it goes in the next few days and then start planning visits and things like that."

As of now, Artis is still planning on signing in November.

"The goal is to make a decision during the early signing period but we'll just have to see how it goes," his uncle said. "We just want to make sure we're weighing all our options and making the right decision."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1114339.html

« Reply #2275 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »

Noel?

'Cuse are making Noel a priority....  You have to assume the 'Cuse will end up on his short list.  By the way, Kyle Anderson had twice been to G'town's Midnight Madness and we saw how that turned out.  LOL   

It might be kinda late for us to get in the game on him.  But, it could be worth an attempt.

sju89tr

« Reply #2276 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
It appears he still wants to sign early which leaves a small window of recruiting:

"He obviously has prior relationships with schools that were recruiting him, schools like Oregon and California," Artis said. "But essentially we'll see who comes in and recruits him. We'll see where it goes in the next few days and then start planning visits and things like that."

"The goal is to make a decision during the early signing period but we'll just have to see how it goes," his uncle said. "We just want to make sure we're weighing all our options and making the right decision."

I was hoping he would wait until the spring. Its a little hard for us to recruit him right now with Lavin recovering from surgery

« Reply #2277 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »

I was hoping he would wait until the spring. Its a little hard for us to recruit him right now with Lavin recovering from surgery
Hopefully the assts get the ball rolling - gang tackling baby, gang tackling....  >:(

sju89tr

« Reply #2278 on: October 06, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »

Hopefully the assts get the ball rolling - gang tackling baby, gang tackling....  >:(

Rico, Baron Davis, and Earl Watson need to have a little UCLA get together in Vegas ! lol

uwsfan

« Reply #2279 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
Kyle Anderson who?!

Very much prefer Phil Greene as the pg next year.

Greene is a future NBA pg. Not so sure about Kyle