Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

paultzman

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA
« Reply #840 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
If hes considering UCONN {east coast} Why are we out  w him. Even though he is an academic risk what would we have to loose w him, we have plenty of scholis, unless Lavin thinks he has a bad attitude.

Our lack of interest speaks volumes for his zany, immature and wasteful ways.

« Reply #841 on: February 28, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
If hes considering UCONN {east coast} Why are we out  w him. Even though he is an academic risk what would we have to loose w him, we have plenty of scholis, unless Lavin thinks he has a bad attitude.

Our lack of interest speaks volumes for his zany, immature and wasteful ways.
[/quote

Could it be a case of embarrassment and sour grapes? Never real wanted to go there anyway.

Moose

« Reply #842 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »
Staff is keeping tabs on him but it comes a point when you have to draw a line in the sand.  He has so much talent, but I'd have no faith in him coming/or lasting here.  If he did come we could see him pick up and leave two months later.  Tough predicament.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #843 on: February 28, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
Staff is keeping tabs on him but it comes a point when you have to draw a line in the sand.  He has so much talent, but I'd have no faith in him coming/or lasting here.  If he did come we could see him pick up and leave two months later.  Tough predicament.

+1

LJSA

« Reply #844 on: February 28, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »

If that's the case, I think you only can bring him in if you have two other decent big men already in the fold. You definitely can't have only two new bigs and have Pelle as one of them.

ras

« Reply #845 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »

If that's the case, I think you only can bring him in if you have two other decent big men already in the fold. You definitely can't have only two new bigs and have Pelle as one of them.
Agree

« Reply #846 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »
Dude is a headcase. Me no want.

Poison

« Reply #847 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
Fool me once shame on you.

« Reply #848 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »
6'10 with freaky athleticism with extra scholarships to give....you take that chance no matter what. If he pulls a Nuri so be it but you have to swing the bat
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #849 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
6'10 with freaky athleticism with extra scholarships to give....you take that chance no matter what. If he pulls a Nuri so be it but you have to swing the bat

Would tend to agree but what about the APR?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #850 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Agree because all the zaniness occurred after things didn't work out with summer classes otherwise he would have been here.

Poison

« Reply #851 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

You take a chance on him once. We can't be heading into next year's BET with 6 players bec we had them to give.

« Reply #852 on: March 01, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
We will have this year's 6 plus several other non-risks.  Taking a risk on one or two will not be a problem.  It's not like this year, when the entire roster had to be replaced.

sju89tr

« Reply #853 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »
I would take a risk on Norvel every day of the week and two times on Sunday. You just need to make sure you have a backup plan.

Marillac

« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
I would take a risk on Norvel every day of the week and two times on Sunday. You just need to make sure you have a backup plan.

Exactly.   

« Reply #855 on: March 01, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »

+1

« Reply #856 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
 ;D#Swag!
hope Norvel team see's this reply!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:11:10 PM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #857 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
Cant teach height and athleticism

« Reply #858 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
just curious with all the problems uconn is facing with apr why would they want to take on a educational risk on pelle?  I understand that teams care about talent over education to some degree but are they that confident that their big guys are all coming back, most notably the big frosh they have manning the middle?  If u take a chance on pelle and let's say kids stay and leave after soph yr or even this year doesn't their apr go down even more?  What good is talent if they are not gonna be able to use it for a NCAA tourney run because they are under sanctions?  Is pelle looking at uconn more on him than school wanting him? Something is just not right with that recruiting philosophy especially more now with these pending sanctions against them.  I guess my point is, if they don't get penalized for this last fiasco they are above the NCAA law?

« Reply #859 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
I think landing Pelle would be great.  And it will make Lavin look good.  We committed to him.  He committed to us.  He didn't qualify.  We worked hard to get him qualified and it didn't work out.  He decommitted, as Lavin might say a "prudent" decision given that he was clearing his head and getting back to the books.  Meanwhile, STJ took a drubbing for having 3 players not qualify.  Now one of them, Garrett, is with us.  If Pelle comes through, it negates some of the negatives concerning him not qualifying in the first place.  Same thing with Sampson, makes everybody look good that we came through the fire and got him onboard.

None of the 3 players who were deemed ineligible by the NCAA failed in their studies at STJ.  They may have just gotten poor (or no) proper academic advisement on what they needed to qualify while they were jumping all over the place in high school, transferring like crazy as these top preps do these days.

It is a black eye for a school like Georgetown to have a student gain admission and then not qualify through the NCAA.  The admissions standards are super high.  At SJU they are not.  It is part of our legacy to lift the students up, to serve the underserved, to focus on "outcomes".  We take lots of chances on incoming students at SJU.  The SJU students who are doing amazing things at the time of graduation these days in many cases were not stellar students coming out of high school.  But they are transformed by the time they graduate.

I'd like to see Pelle here, but what I read on the internet makes me think he'll end up at UNLV.  I think he was checking out Iowa State too, where Matt Abdelmassih is an assistant coach.  Abdelmassih is a SJU grad and worked with the team as a student.  I've heard he is a crackerjack recruiter these days.