Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH

• 142 replies
Re: Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
I don't care what anyone says to the contrary, I think Stith is a goner, and I'll stick with that until I see him listed on the roster next fall. Soumaoro or some other tall guy will be the 11th man next year.

I also think ties with Thomas will be severed if we bring in Anderson in 2012.

No way Jevon is cut loose. Kid is going to be special. Kyle won't play the point in college.

Agreed I think Jevon is going to be a real good college point guard.

Kyle won't play the point in college no matter where he goes.  He definitely will be a point forward I just don't know if Kyle or his family know it yet.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
Don't worry people, the likelihood that all 10 recruits and the 2 returners stay is slim to none.  We will have room for everyone we want.  When you bring in this many people, a few will be destined to be upset with their playing time or something like that and leave.  If not there are always ways to make room for superior talents.  I have no problem offering another big man.

Very True, but usually players sign during the early signing period.  I know Anderson stated he wants to commit before his HS season and Gathers said he plans on signing in November.  I dont see us freeing up those ships in time unless Stith leaves, Jevon preps and becomes a 2013 recruit, or someone doesnt academically qualify.  And if Soumaoro commits, two of those will have to happen to make room (if we'd be so lucky).

Also, i may be mistaken but earlier in the the thread it stated that Soumaoro may move to 2013. 

THat being said, Lavin can do what he wants with who he offers.  After the last 10 years we've had and to see what he's accomplished in a year, he has an unlimited grace period with me. 

Can't we offer scholarships and have guys sign even if we don't have available scholarships yet?

I dont know, you would prob know better than me.  I just assumed that you cant offer scholarships if they arent available.  If that's not the case, it certainly makes it a little better situation.

Moose

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
Don't worry people, the likelihood that all 10 recruits and the 2 returners stay is slim to none.  We will have room for everyone we want.  When you bring in this many people, a few will be destined to be upset with their playing time or something like that and leave.  If not there are always ways to make room for superior talents.  I have no problem offering another big man.

Very True, but usually players sign during the early signing period.  I know Anderson stated he wants to commit before his HS season and Gathers said he plans on signing in November.  I dont see us freeing up those ships in time unless Stith leaves, Jevon preps and becomes a 2013 recruit, or someone doesnt academically qualify.  And if Soumaoro commits, two of those will have to happen to make room (if we'd be so lucky).

Also, i may be mistaken but earlier in the the thread it stated that Soumaoro may move to 2013. 

THat being said, Lavin can do what he wants with who he offers.  After the last 10 years we've had and to see what he's accomplished in a year, he has an unlimited grace period with me. 

Can't we offer scholarships and have guys sign even if we don't have available scholarships yet?

I dont know, you would prob know better than me.  I just assumed that you cant offer scholarships if they arent available.  If that's not the case, it certainly makes it a little better situation.

Scholarships are renewable each year.  You should be able to offer more than the 13 because look at schools like Arizona and Kentucky.  Arizona is making guys transfer and Kentucky over books expecting early depatures.  It's kind of like a salary cap in sports.  Just gotta get under the cap by the time the season starts.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
Agree with Fordham that "No way Jevon is cut loose. Kid is going to be special. Kyle won't play the point in college." Also, IMO this would be a bad strategic decision with regard to SJU's relationship with the NY coaching community. Not something that I would expect Lavin to do.
Regarding Stith, is it possible that he graduates in 3 years and then leaves ? He would still be on the roster this year and then opens up a ship in 2012.
Gathers is a big time player. Hopefully he has a great visit here in a few weeks.

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
We can speculate until the cows come home from transfers, to kids leaving early etc.  Bottom line just about everything from what LJSA said to what Moose said would be on the table.  And keep in mind that assumes Soumaoro commits, not a definite yet.

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
If this kid was a Big East talent wouldnt he be off the board already? Go where the immediate playing time is, New Rochelle! ;)

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
If this kid was a Big East talent wouldnt he be off the board already?

Not necessarily.  There are kids who are still available and are big-time talents.  Nevertheless, I'm not sure whether Soumaoro is a major D-1 talent or not.  We'll eventually find out one way or another.

crgreen

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »
If this kid was a Big East talent wouldnt he be off the board already? Go where the immediate playing time is, New Rochelle! ;)

Same could be said of Steve going after Ryan Hollins in 2001 - he was a 6'9 high school junior long jumper who didn't get an offer thill his senior year - and then the BEST one he had was St. Louis!.  But by the time he was a college Senior he was 7'1 and the NCAA tourneys western regional MVP - and last month he finished his 5th season as an NBA center.

With a redshirt year, an equvalent development for THIS kid would put him as a major contributor in ....2016.   

If the staff likes his long-term potential, go for it.  Bigs historically take far longer to develop than guards and wings.  6'9 athlete with a non-stop motor who can already rebound?  What will Rico turn him into 4 years down the road?

gman

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »

Same could be said of Steve going after Ryan Hollins in 2001 - he was a 6'9 high school junior long jumper who didn't get an offer thill his senior year - and then the BEST one he had was St. Louis!.  But by the time he was a college Senior he was 7'1 and the NCAA tourneys western regional MVP - and last month he finished his 5th season as an NBA center.

With a redshirt year, an equvalent development for THIS kid would put him as a major contributor in ....2016.   

If the staff likes his long-term potential, go for it.  Bigs historically take far longer to develop than guards and wings.  6'9 athlete with a non-stop motor who can already rebound?  What will Rico turn him into 4 years down the road?

That was what I was thinking CR.  Lavin has developed a lot of NCAA centers.  I trust his judgement in big men.

NYCoffey

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
I saw a couple of things  saying he's visiting Texas Tech on Tuesday and will make his decision on Wed. It's between us Washington and Texas Tech. Things will be getting a little tight if he commits to St Johns.

kjd01067

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »
I saw a couple of things  saying he's visiting Texas Tech on Tuesday and will make his decision on Wed. It's between us Washington and Texas Tech. Things will be getting a little tight if he commits to St Johns.

I hope that this is another situation like Dwight Meikle as Moose speculated.  He is a teammate of one of our recruits so Lavin shows interest to get the kids name out in hopes that other programs will come sniffing around.  I don't doubt he can be a good player but I think his spot was filled with the signing of GG.

NYCoffey

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
It is a very odd feeling hoping that a pretty talented basketball player picks another school, but I can get use to it. Things sure have changed over the last year.

MCNPA

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
I don't think it is like Meikle, because this guy is a talented and athletic center.  We actually could use more size in the middle over the next few years.   I'd have no problem with this kid coming on board.   

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
i wouldnt have a problem with having him. I just would rather have harrow, gathers, anderson, and thomas. Non the less he is a great 5th option
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
The rating services arent enthralled with him.

ESPN gives him an 80- low mid major level.
Rivals & Scout - I cant even find him listed.
If all 9 newcomers are coming/qualified- I'd prefer we save it for 2012

If he comes and full 1st nine- that leaves only one for 2012.
With Jevon (verbal), Harrow,Anderson, Gathers all very interested, we need at least 2
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:36:50 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
I don't think it is like Meikle, because this guy is a talented and athletic center.  We actually could use more size in the middle over the next few years.   I'd have no problem with this kid coming on board.   

Talented and athletic center?  I don't want to put the kid down, but I don't know about you but there isn't much out there about this kid and the only stuff that is out there talks about him having a motor and rebounding.  I wouldnt start throwing 'talented' out there so easily.  There is a reason he's still available at this point of the game.  MaxPreps had some box scores from OSNA but not many and his numbers were nothing to write home about.

MCNPA

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »

Talented and athletic center?  I don't want to put the kid down, but I don't know about you but there isn't much out there about this kid and the only stuff that is out there talks about him having a motor and rebounding.  I wouldnt start throwing 'talented' out there so easily.  There is a reason he's still available at this point of the game.  MaxPreps had some box scores from OSNA but not many and his numbers were nothing to write home about.

You're right Moose.  With the way Lavin is recruiting, "talented" is not a word to throw around.  I know he's not rated all that highly, but many bigs aren't early-on.  Pitt has made a living with the McGee's, Troutman's, and next year Zanna's of the bball world.  I still feel we could use a little big more height and strength inside, but I trust Lavin and his staff know what is best for this team.  Without a doubt I'd rather have Harrow first.

Moose

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

You're right Moose.  With the way Lavin is recruiting, "talented" is not a word to throw around.  I know he's not rated all that highly, but many bigs aren't early-on.  Pitt has made a living with the McGee's, Troutman's, and next year Zanna's of the bball world.  I still feel we could use a little big more height and strength inside, but I trust Lavin and his staff know what is best for this team.  Without a doubt I'd rather have Harrow first.

Exactly.  In a regular class I'd side with you.  But we already spent so many schollies and we have legit studs in 2012 like Kyle, Jevon and Ricardo waiting in addition to Harrow maybe this year.  Once the classes even out in a few years this would be a player I expect staff to take a flier on.

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »
Well he just tripped to Washington.  Interesting how Pelle and GG spurned UW for SJU and now Soumaoro. 

Apparently he is tripping tomorrow to Texas Tech and Billy G.

Also Breunig, the third kid released from Maryland, is headed to UW for a visit.

My guess is with UW in with Breunig and SJU going after Harrow Soumaoro probably heads to TT or does a post grad year.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:31:24 PM by fordham96 »

Moose

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Well he just tripped to Washington.  Interesting how Pelle and GG spurned UW for SJU and now Soumaoro. 

Apparently he is tripping tomorrow to Texas Tech and Billy G.

Also Breunig, the third kid released from Maryland, is headed to UW for a visit.

My guess is with UW in with Breunig and SJU going after Harrow Soumaoro probably heads to TT or does a post grad year.

Maryland needs a big bad with Jordan leaving and Breunig not coming.  They should look at Soumaoro