Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Moose

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
Another angle of that sick dunk during the Ball is Life All American practice.

http://www.ballislife.com/video/video/show?id=2030901%3AVideo%3A203637
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »
Just a point of interest/clarification, but the thread title has Garrett as hailing from lawndale California, but he is actually a Nevada native, I believe originally from Henderson Nevada.  He was at Sierra Vista HS, transferred to Leuzinger in Lawndale, but isn't from California. 

« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up MCNPA...Hard to get an accurate read on all the players with all the transferring that goes on.  The hometown's vary depending on who posts it.  Sometimes we list their current location other times it is where they were born and raised.  I looked it up and he is from Las Vegas or at least that is where he played his first 2 years of high school.  I think Henderson, NV is where Findlay Prep is located. 

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
Henderson is essentially Las Vegas as well.  It's like saying Kew Gardens instead of New York.

« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »
Here's a picture of Amir pitching for some scouts. Any chance he'll be playing for the baseball team next year as well?

http://twitpic.com/4tea7l
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:44:19 PM by kingofk1ngs »

Moose

« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Here's a picture of Amir pitching for some scouts. Any chance he'll be playing for the baseball team next year as well?

Don't like the looks of him pitching for 'scouts.

NYCoffey

« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Same here. I always wondered if he was going to play baseball in college, but that was the extent of it. Is he that good of a pitcher?

Moose

« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
Same here. I always wondered if he was going to play baseball in college, but that was the extent of it. Is he that good of a pitcher?

Pitching in college is one thing.  Still not a fan of that honestly.

But pitching for MLB scouts with the possibility of being drafted is a little scary.  A 6 figure bonus can change a lot of ppl's outlook.  But Amir seems to really want to play basketball at STJ from the sound of his tweets and videos and interviews.

« Reply #248 on: May 05, 2011, 01:54:35 AM »
One Iverson may have been enough for Georgetown

« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
Claim is that he brings it at 95 mph

Somehow I managed to post an Iverson on this tread ::)

kjd01067

« Reply #250 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »

A lefty who throws 93 Amir is gonna get some serious looks.  Hopefully he likes basketball a little more than baseball.  Some more info...

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2011/05/04/draft-could-amir-garrett-play-baseball/

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2011/05/05/amir-garrett-update/

Moose

« Reply #251 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »
Actually it was pointed out to me last night by someone when discussing this that getting drafted and signing a pro contract wouldnt necessarily stop Amir from playing basketball at STJ.  Kyle Parker of Clemson was drafted last year, signed in August and still returned to QB Clemson.  So both can be done.

« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »
Actually it was pointed out to me last night by someone when discussing this that getting drafted and signing a pro contract wouldnt necessarily stop Amir from playing basketball at STJ.  Kyle Parker of Clemson was drafted last year, signed in August and still returned to QB Clemson.  So both can be done.

That is true, Moose.  Parker wasn't gonna come back to Clemson this past season (his sophomore year), as he feels baseball is probably gonna be his bread and butter.  Dabo Sweeney is one smooth talker and convinced Parker to come back for one last hurrah.

By the way, Clemson also had a kid by the name of Roscoe Crosby do the same several years ago.  I also believe Trajan Langdon did the same when he signed with Duke.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
You can do it in most leagues (not the Ivy, which is why Chris Young stopped his playing career at Princeton to get some baseball cheddar).

Andrew Brackman - NC State center and was a Yankee minor league pitcher for a while, even as he played for the Wolfpack - not sure if he got traded, I don't follow the Yankees. Jeff Samardzija played short season ball with the Cubs while a receiver at Notre Dame. It's ok to do.

Moose

« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
You can do it in most leagues (not the Ivy, which is why Chris Young stopped his playing career at Princeton to get some baseball cheddar).

Andrew Brackman - NC State center and was a Yankee minor league pitcher for a while, even as he played for the Wolfpack - not sure if he got traded, I don't follow the Yankees. Jeff Samardzija played short season ball with the Cubs while a receiver at Notre Dame. It's ok to do.

Brackman quit basketball in college to focus on baseball in college.  He double dipped in college for a short time but never pro and college at the same time.

sju89tr

« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »
He will get drafted, according to Jonathan Mayo since he has not pitched a game in a long time, the jury is out.

My son's team played Garrett a few years back in the travel circuit. Amir was probably a freshman going on Soph that summer

I believe he was around 6'3" and threw pretty hard. My son did not face him though when he pitched a few innings.

I was under the assumption that he would pitch at St Johns possibly.

I cant recall if Terry Bross pitched a year in the Mets minor league system while playing STJ hoops?

Scott Burrell at UCONN may have pitched professionally as well while playing college hoops?   
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:54:04 AM by sju89tr »

sju89tr

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
Just a point of interest/clarification, but the thread title has Garrett as hailing from lawndale California, but he is actually a Nevada native, I believe originally from Henderson Nevada.  He was at Sierra Vista HS, transferred to Leuzinger in Lawndale, but isn't from California.

I thought the same thing originally, he has family in SoCal and just did one year here leading his school to CIF title at a junior. Believe he was player of the year. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »

Brackman quit basketball in college to focus on baseball in college.  He double dipped in college for a short time but never pro and college at the same time.
Ah, you are correct. Got my years mixed up.

crgreen

« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

I thought the same thing originally, he has family in SoCal and just did one year here leading his school to CIF title at a junior. Believe he was player of the year.

Danny Ainge made All American in 1979, 1980 and 1981 at BYU.   Those same years he wsn't in "a big league organization", he was playing 3rd bse and centerfield IN the Big Leauges for the Blue Jays....

sju89tr

« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

Danny Ainge made All American in 1979, 1980 and 1981 at BYU.   Those same years he wsn't in "a big league organization", he was playing 3rd bse and centerfield IN the Big Leauges for the Blue Jays....

That was a long time ago but I forgot how bad a baseball player he was  ;D