Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
Amir is tweeting in the second tweet down that is response to being asked about seeing Amir at MSG

https://mobile.twitter.com/Amir_Garrett

NYCoffey

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
All good news. Love the loyalty to Coach and the program.

MCNPA

« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »
Lavin landing a 9 or 10 man class with elite athletes and players is a feat unto itself.  Having them all land on campus is another part of it.  Yes, it could be a difficult year if not all the pieces make it on board, but that is the boat that Norm left us in.  Under the circumstances, I'd say that Lavin has done as well as humanly possible, all the while leaving a few ships for next year as well.

« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »
@juanonjuan10 naw I'm still playin its hard to explain but yeah I'm still hoopin

That is a tweet from Amir in response to a question about possibly not playing for SJU this fall.

« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
Cant blame the brother for takin the money and goin to the diamond. That is... if he get the money in the first place.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
follow your heart kid
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

VG88

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
hed have to get drafted in the first round to get a million. My friend got drafted in the fifth and his was around 280,000.

I really hope amir plays basketball for us. Hes the real wild card of the class. Theres a chance he could end up being the best player when all is said and done

It's not crazy.  But for someone like Amir its far fetched.  Kid's get millions as the draft moves on.  Rare but it does happen.  Usually because of injuries, college commits or crazy agent ala Boras.  See below for last year's numbers.  5th, 6th and even 8th rd had million dollar plus bonus.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=4890

Would it surprise anyone if the Yankees draft him in the 20th round and offer him a million and a half?

Gumby

« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
Yep, unless I am off, college kids come out usually after their junior year.  For the most part they (those with a good deal of talent) are then sent to AA or AAA ball, which is a big difference from rookie and A ball.

I am not sure how the draft is going, but Amir, unless they give you the keys to the bank, rethink about playing baseball at St. John's.  College baseball today is pretty extensive in terms of number of games and playing outside your conference.  You can have a blast playing two sports at St. John's, without the worry of eating in greasy spoons in backwater towns.  Enjoy being 20!

Forget all of this if you are offered $1.5 million.

NYCoffey

« Reply #329 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
at the end of the 5th round and he is not drafted yet

« Reply #330 on: June 07, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
at the end of the 5th round and he is not drafted yet

thanks for the update coffee. Id apreciate it if you keep us posted
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Gumby

« Reply #331 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
I still think no one will offer Amir $1.5 million based on a few speed gun highs.
If he had played high school ball, had a good pitching record, and hit 96 mph on the gun, then maybe.

So if the bonus money is in the $300K range what does he do?  Take the money and spend the next three years in the low minors, or change his mind and play college baseball as well.

This year's #1 pick Cole turned down the Yanks, went to UCLA, and now can reap the financial benefits.  Too bad it is with the Pirates.

« Reply #332 on: June 07, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
hed have to get drafted in the first round to get a million. My friend got drafted in the fifth and his was around 280,000.

I really hope amir plays basketball for us. Hes the real wild card of the class. Theres a chance he could end up being the best player when all is said and done

It's not crazy.  But for someone like Amir its far fetched.  Kid's get millions as the draft moves on.  Rare but it does happen.  Usually because of injuries, college commits or crazy agent ala Boras.  See below for last year's numbers.  5th, 6th and even 8th rd had million dollar plus bonus.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=4890

Would it surprise anyone if the Yankees draft him in the 20th round and offer him a million and a half?

Me. I doubt that even the Yankees are going to fork up a mill and a half for someone who hasn't played the game in a couple of years.

« Reply #333 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
Track it yourself.  Looks like they are in the 8th round and he has not been drafted:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2011/draftcaster.jsp

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:12:22 PM by fordham96 »

NYCoffey

« Reply #334 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
end of 10th and hes not drafted

DFF6

« Reply #335 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »
end of 10th and hes not drafted

Thanks for the update.  I guess that SI.com article blew the hype surrounding the interest of Amir's baseball skills waaaayyyy out of proportion.

NYCoffey

« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
Its probably also the 1.5 million that took a lot of interest away from him.

DFF6

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Its probably also the 1.5 million that took a lot of interest away from him.

Yeah, that too.

SJU85

« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
I still think no one will offer Amir $1.5 million based on a few speed gun highs.
If he had played high school ball, had a good pitching record, and hit 96 mph on the gun, then maybe.

So if the bonus money is in the $300K range what does he do?  Take the money and spend the next three years in the low minors, or change his mind and play college baseball as well.

This year's #1 pick Cole turned down the Yanks, went to UCLA, and now can reap the financial benefits.  Too bad it is with the Pirates.

Cole would have received a nice bit of change three years ago as the 28th pick in the first round.  He only slipped that far because he told everyone he was going to college.  The Yankees would have paid him a nice chunk of change considering he was probably a top 10 player in their eyes, however, he wouldn't even listen to the offers (proving that it is not always about the money, although more times than not, it is).  Yankees gambled and lost.  They did the same thing with Elway (who did play one season at Oneonta for them and played well), Henson (a bust in two sports), Jeter (who told everyone he was going to Michigan) and Austin Jackson (who initally ducked  fielding contract offers as he felt he was a basketball player who played baseball and had a schollie to GTech to play PG).  You can also add Deion Sanders.

Although Garrett has not played H.S. or summer league ball, it does not preclude him from playing pro baseball in the future as one of our own did.  After not playing baseball in his senior year in H.S. to concentrate on basketball, Terry Bross, a four year member of the basketball squad here, was on the baseball team his last two years, saw limited action but was still picked-up by the Mets.  He did play in the majors and is now a sports agent.

« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
Yep, unless I am off, college kids come out usually after their junior year.  For the most part they (those with a good deal of talent) are then sent to AA or AAA ball, which is a big difference from rookie and A ball.
Mets 1st round pick for 2010 draft started at Hi-A St Lucie
Molloy '71