Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Moose

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #360 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
300,000 is a nice chunk of change.  What's Amir's family situation?  Is he from a "poor" family?

Anyways, baseball is probably the toughest sport to go pro in.  He has a much better chance to make it in the NBA and im saying that without ever seeing him pitch and only seeing him play in two high school games.  The odds are just so against you in baseball with all the young talent and all the minor league systems you have to go through. 

How do you figure NBA is easier than MLB?  MLB is more roster spots.  And lefty pitchers can pitch under they are 47 (Jamie Moyer, Jesse Orosco)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #361 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »
300,000 is a nice chunk of change.  What's Amir's family situation?  Is he from a "poor" family?

Anyways, baseball is probably the toughest sport to go pro in.  He has a much better chance to make it in the NBA and im saying that without ever seeing him pitch and only seeing him play in two high school games.  The odds are just so against you in baseball with all the young talent and all the minor league systems you have to go through. 

How do you figure NBA is easier than MLB?  MLB is more roster spots.  And lefty pitchers can pitch under they are 47 (Jamie Moyer, Jesse Orosco)

MLB has a vast minor league system.  You have to go through low-single A, then high single-A, then double-A, then triple-A before u step foot in the majors. There are 24 other players opn each of those teams that you have to be better than (about 10 pitchers) and then plus the other teams in each minor league system that you have to be better then. More roster spots, but more players to compete against. 

To pitch at age 47, you have to make it that far first.  Heck, you have to make it first period. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:33:19 PM by IllWill »

Gumby

« Reply #362 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
$300K, or whatever is left after taxes, may be a good deal of money, if you need the cash now.  If not, a $2 million bonus might be some real money in a few years.  Nothing is guaranteed, especially if you are a pitcher.

A few years ago we had a pretty darn good picher, Mike Leake, out here at ASU.  He went the college route and signed with the Reds.  He was a team mate of Ike Davis.  I think he almost went directly to the majors in 2010 from college.

Staying in school, not only can (and that is a big if) bring in some heavy bonus money in 2014, as well as a very good starting salary.

I have had a number of good college athletes in my classes over the years.    The Double A and Triple A leagues are loaded with very good high school and college athletes.  Many of which will never make it to the majors.

As an educator I always wanted my athlete students (or is it student athletes) to get an education, even if do not graduate in four years.

Some body mentioned earlier that only 6% of the players drafted on the 22nd round  make the majors.  Not good odds!

If Amir is good, in three years of college baseball, he could be looking at a signing bonus of $2 million.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
Strictly from my view of managing money. $300k isnt what it used to be. Knock off 40% in taxes and you are down to $180k

You dont leave school and a bright future for that because it does nothing for you. 1.5 does but anything lower than that you wait. Kids arm wont go away. He can work with the coaches on proper throwing and technique in down time if allowed.

But kid will get bigger and his arm will get stronger. And baseball will still take a shot on him especially being a lefty. He could play no ball for 4 years and do great in hoops and if his arm strength stays someone will take a shot on him at ball because he's a flat out athlete

MCNPA

« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »
Strictly from my view of managing money. $300k isnt what it used to be. Knock off 40% in taxes and you are down to $180k

You dont leave school and a bright future for that because it does nothing for you. 1.5 does but anything lower than that you wait. Kids arm wont go away. He can work with the coaches on proper throwing and technique in down time if allowed.

But kid will get bigger and his arm will get stronger. And baseball will still take a shot on him especially being a lefty. He could play no ball for 4 years and do great in hoops and if his arm strength stays someone will take a shot on him at ball because he's a flat out athlete

I don't make quite 300k, but it isn't a heck of a lot of money unless you're making it year after year.  A one-time 300k with 180 after taxes  won't go very far. 

kob24

« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
but guys he said he will not play baseball for st.johns.

Gumby

« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »
But remember, Amir said he would not play baseball at St. John's when he still had thoughts of being drafted in the early rounds and perhaps getting a bonus of $1.5 million.  That statement might also have been for the benefit of the scouts.

If he wants his $1.5 million he should reconsider playing college baseball.  Amir, keep your options open about college baseball.  It can only benefit you.

Going pro for $140K after taxes, just does not make sense.

Gumby

« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
Mods,

It might be a good idea to combine all three current Amir threads into one, his recruiting thread.  This will help avoid having to repeat the same message on several threads.

Turning pro for $140K+ is not really a good move.  If Amir has the talent and it continues to develop (by way of the St. John's baseball team) then he might expect a signing bonus of $2 million in 2014.

Pro Baseball has sent Amir a message- "We are not convinced that throwing a baseball in practice at 92-96 mph equates to a guaranty of making the majors."

crgreen

« Reply #368 on: June 08, 2011, 03:35:37 AM »
Being selected in the 22nd round should tell Amir something.  He did not convince really any one that he is a shoe in to make the majors.

As I mentioned earlier, will $300K tempt him to sign with the Reds? 

None of us are in Amir or his family's position to make a decision, but waiting could be in his best interest baseball-wise.  If he has the talent for the majors time will tell.  Does he want to do through the pains of the lower/middle minors or join the St. John's baseball team?

He really needs to sit down with his family and discuss his baseball options.  Gone is the smoke dream of a $1.5 million signing bonus.  Gone is a selection in the early rounds.

One thing that disturbs me about the write-ups on Amir and his baseball dreams is the downplaying his basketball abilities by these writers.  I believe the consensus of the JJ posters feel that Amir has tremendous basketball potential.  The stuff about Amir having to fight for playing time may be true, but I see that as a positive, not a negative.  He is a gamer!

He clearly has some baseball talent.  How best to bring out his full baseball talent- three years in the low to middle minors or three years playing in NCAA WS with St. John's?

For a high school senior who didn't play baseball this year, 22nd round really IS something.  My personal thought on his tryouts was just reminding the scouts he was out there - keeping his options open down the road.  After all - out of sight, out of mind.   Even if he stays 4 years at SJU, he'll only be what - 21 or 22 when he graduates?   Give him a year to see if he's got a real shot at the NBA....if not, 23 isn't a bad age to start a baseball career, especially a lefty fireball pitcher with almost no mileage on his arm at that age....

MCNPA

« Reply #369 on: June 08, 2011, 06:10:12 AM »
Being selected in the 22nd round should tell Amir something.  He did not convince really any one that he is a shoe in to make the majors.

As I mentioned earlier, will $300K tempt him to sign with the Reds? 

None of us are in Amir or his family's position to make a decision, but waiting could be in his best interest baseball-wise.  If he has the talent for the majors time will tell.  Does he want to do through the pains of the lower/middle minors or join the St. John's baseball team?

He really needs to sit down with his family and discuss his baseball options.  Gone is the smoke dream of a $1.5 million signing bonus.  Gone is a selection in the early rounds.

One thing that disturbs me about the write-ups on Amir and his baseball dreams is the downplaying his basketball abilities by these writers.  I believe the consensus of the JJ posters feel that Amir has tremendous basketball potential.  The stuff about Amir having to fight for playing time may be true, but I see that as a positive, not a negative.  He is a gamer!

He clearly has some baseball talent.  How best to bring out his full baseball talent- three years in the low to middle minors or three years playing in NCAA WS with St. John's?

For a high school senior who didn't play baseball this year, 22nd round really IS something.  My personal thought on his tryouts was just reminding the scouts he was out there - keeping his options open down the road.  After all - out of sight, out of mind.   Even if he stays 4 years at SJU, he'll only be what - 21 or 22 when he graduates?   Give him a year to see if he's got a real shot at the NBA....if not, 23 isn't a bad age to start a baseball career, especially a lefty fireball pitcher with almost no mileage on his arm at that age....

Cr, my guess is that the scenario you describe is what Amir probably has in mind as well.  He's a bit newer to basketball and the next few is the only shot he'll get at basketball and maybe a pro career.  He'll have plenty of options wrt baseball,even in 4 years.

« Reply #370 on: June 08, 2011, 07:16:38 AM »
300,000 is alot of money. a whole lot

No doubt. 300K or 180K or whatever can solve a lotta problems.

Not sayin Amir is in that situation. But some y'all talkin like its chump change.

Tomorrow is guarenteed to no one, 'specially an athlete.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

gman

« Reply #371 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:40 AM »

Not sayin Amir is in that situation. But some y'all talkin like its chump change.

You are right, but is an education from SJU worth more than the 180k after tax?  If baseball or basketball doesn't work out he can always have a degree to fall back on.

« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:16 AM »

You are right, but is an education from SJU worth more than the 180k after tax?  If baseball or basketball doesn't work out he can always have a degree to fall back on.
with the cost of school now it would probably cost 180k just to go to school for 4 years on someones own dime

4 years of school much more valuable long term than $180 after taxes. Just my opinion
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:39:19 AM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
A basketball career is more likely than a baseball career if you consider all of the counties that play it.

MCNPA

« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »
A basketball career is more likely than a baseball career if you consider all of the counties that play it.

I think you meant countries, and I agree that you make a good point.  He has a LOT better chance to make pretty serious coin in Asia, Europe or wherever playing ball than toiling around the minors here.  I think the kid will b at SJU playing ball, and my gut tells me that he will be a very good player when all is said and done.  The kid has phenom athleticism,  great work ethic.  All he needs is some coaching help and some focused gym time to round out some raw skills and he can be quite a player.

« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »
From Zagoria:

"Everyone don’t listen to a lot of these articles they don’t know what I’m doin, I don’t even know what I’m doing, its a lot of gossip…,” Garrett Tweeted Tuesday.

A source close to the Findlay Prep staff confirmed that the 6-5 Garrett was undecided about what to do next.

“No idea,” the source said. “Don’t think he knows….Good problem for him to have.”

MCNPA

« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
From Zagoria:

"Everyone don’t listen to a lot of these articles they don’t know what I’m doin, I don’t even know what I’m doing, its a lot of gossip…,” Garrett Tweeted Tuesday.

A source close to the Findlay Prep staff confirmed that the 6-5 Garrett was undecided about what to do next.

“No idea,” the source said. “Don’t think he knows….Good problem for him to have.”

I think he just wants a few days to process the whole thing.  I know I would if I was drafted.  My guess is that in the end, he'll decide to play bball at SJU.

« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/pilots-star-garrett-will-try-to-play-two-sports-123442889.html?ref=889

"If he went high, it would have been one or the other," said Garrett's father, Darrow. "We love (St. John's basketball coach) Steve Lavin, and I told everyone it would have taken a lot to just walk away from him. This way he can still play basketball at St. John's and do the things he wants to be able to do."

MCNPA

« Reply #378 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Has his cake and eats it too.  Good for him.

« Reply #379 on: June 08, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
He might just miss his cake,It look like the 1st  five? rounds of the MLB draft was mainly college player. Isn't that where the money lives. College baseball should be a considered