Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

Moose

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - Bridgton Academy - Alexandria, VA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #640 on: April 30, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
It's curious that Wood's decision to re-committ to SJU has not yet been picked up by any of the usual media outlets, as far as I can tell, save Daniel Martin's write-up appearing in NBCSports.com.  We've now had 4 recruits verbal/sign committments in the last 2 weeks and it's been virtually radio silence.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/29/steve-lavin-adds-another-bridgtons-darrick-wood-recommits-to-st-johns/

Post had article about Sanchez and Marco the other day.  Also mentioned Sampson.

Newspapers are thing of the past.  Plus right now you have 5 local area teams playing, plus coming off the NFL Draft weekend.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Gumby

« Reply #641 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
I believe Coach Lavin is waiting to finish his recruiting and receives the recruits' commitments before making a big media splash.

« Reply #642 on: April 30, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
I believe Coach Lavin is waiting to finish his recruiting and receives the recruits' commitments before making a big media splash.

Except unlike the early Nov signing period where there is a final day- then Coach announces the next day...
The spring period I dont think is really a "period".
A kid can decide in May, June etc & play in Sept ?
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #643 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »

Except unlike the early Nov signing period where there is a final day- then Coach announces the next day...
The spring period I dont think is really a "period".
A kid can decide in May, June etc & play in Sept ?

There is still a period.  However after a certain date they no longer have to sign LOI's binding them to schools so they can say whatever they want and never be held accountable.

« Reply #644 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
I luv DW's game.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:34 AM »

Agree, sure old Lenn R at post will  do something!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:25:27 AM by paultzman »

SJU79

« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
DW is a day 1 contributor. Aad heard again from somebody in one of these 3 camps that their are 2 ships' to go out if the right kids present themselves.

« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »
for those of you that have seen DW play, what recent Johnnie player does he remind of?

Junior Year, Paris Horne?

Gumby

« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
DW is a day 1 contributor. And heard again from somebody in one of these 3 camps that their are 2 ships' to go out if the right kids present themselves.

The key question, SJU, is which Day 1 are you talking about- 2012 or 2013?.  I hope the former, as many of us would agree with you that Darrick would have an instant impact on our Team.

Is the consensus that we are only waiting to hear from the three "Bigs" to fill the two open spots?  Or are there other potential recruits (Savon, etc.) who might still commit?

We sure have come a long way, recruiting-wise, in the past week or so.

Moose

« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
DW is a day 1 contributor. And heard again from somebody in one of these 3 camps that their are 2 ships' to go out if the right kids present themselves.

The key question, SJU, is which Day 1 are you talking about- 2012 or 2013?.  I hope the former, as many of us would agree with you that Darrick would have an instant impact on our Team.

Is the consensus that we are only waiting to hear from the three "Bigs" to fill the two open spots?  Or are there other potential recruits (Savon, etc.) who might still commit?

I think we'd all like this year but its not the end of the world if he doesn't make it.  It would balance things out, but I'd still like him around as much as possible to learn from D-Lo.

I don't think Savon is a target.  I think he likes mentioning us and other schools when meanwhile schools are not interested.  Outside of Chandler and Nolan I don't know who else is on the board.

paultzman

« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »

I think we'd all like this year but its not the end of the world if he doesn't make it.  It would balance things out, but I'd still like him around as much as possible to learn from D-Lo.

I don't think Savon is a target.  I think he likes mentioning us and other schools when meanwhile schools are not interested.  Outside of Chandler and Nolan I don't know who else is on the board.

Getting to be a habit, but agree 100% Moose. Could not be happier with the way this recruiting cycle is evolving. A bump is ok. Also prognosis for 13 & 14 classes great! Remember from whence we came!

SJU85

« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
Just noticed Darrick originally went to TC Williams HS.  "remember the titans"

Speech - Remember the Titans
Good story and movie.  Sad ending though.

Does this mean Hayden Panetierre will be coming to games?
You wish
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:19:11 AM by SJU85 »

« Reply #652 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
Darrick will sign when/if he qualifies.  Right now he is 50-50 which is much better then last year when he was at NIA Prep.

But he is a bit of a luxury right now.  His position is filled with talented athletic kids already where he would add nice depth. 

Bottom line is it is up to him if he makes here by 2012.  And he is a nice kid who wants to play for SJU so he is going to work hard to do it.

Marillac

Re: Darrick Wood-SF-NIA Prep
« Reply #653 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
He isn't good enough to play Big East. He's a really nice player but he's a mid major guy.

He needs to put on size because any time he goes up against stronger guards he struggles mightily. He kind of reminds me of Larry Wright a little bit.

While I see the Larry Wright comparison and I definitely agree he needs to put on size, I think you are severely mistaken about Wood only being a mid major guy. 
My opnion of him has changed for the better very recently. I'll have to keep those details for anonymity sake.  I am stoked he's on board.  He gives us the second scorer we desperately needed.  I suspect he will be coming off the bench, but I think by the end of the year he will be the kind of guy we simply have to have on the floor to win.  If he's ready to go in 2012, I think he'll be a regular double-digit scorer for us by the end of the season. 

I think he has the highest ceiling of any of our recruits or current players.  I know it might sound crazy to some people.  He has the rare and special ability to get into the rhythm of his jumper with the puppies set and body squared in so many different situations--pulling up in transition, off an errant pass, off a pump fake and dribble, curling off a screen, and even after receiving a pass while cuting through the lane.  That is what makes Jeremy Lamb so good as well.  Also similar to Lamb is how Wood is so skilled and dangerous on the baseline and inside the "pockets" of the zone defense. 

He's super frail and he needs 10-15 pounds immediately.  If the refs allow a physical game, stronger opponents are going to be able to control or steer him.  The staff will have to get him in space like a small slot receiver in football.

Just a great add by Lavin.  I thilnk this kid can be very, very, very good.

paultzman

« Reply #654 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
He isn't good enough to play Big East. He's a really nice player but he's a mid major guy.

He needs to put on size because any time he goes up against stronger guards he struggles mightily. He kind of reminds me of Larry Wright a little bit.

While I see the Larry Wright comparison and I definitely agree he needs to put on size, I think you are severely mistaken about Wood only being a mid major guy. 
My opnion of him has changed for the better very recently. I'll have to keep those details for anonymity sake.  I am stoked he's on board.  He gives us the second scorer we desperately needed.  I suspect he will be coming off the bench, but I think by the end of the year he will be the kind of guy we simply have to have on the floor to win.  If he's ready to go in 2012, I think he'll be a regular double-digit scorer for us by the end of the season. 

I think he has the highest ceiling of any of our recruits or current players.  I know it might sound crazy to some people.  He has the rare and special ability to get into the rhythm of his jumper with the puppies set and body squared in so many different situations--pulling up in transition, off an errant pass, off a pump fake and dribble, curling off a screen, and even after receiving a pass while cuting through the lane.  That is what makes Jeremy Lamb so good as well.  Also similar to Lamb is how Wood is so skilled and dangerous on the baseline and inside the "pockets" of the zone defense. 

He's super frail and he needs 10-15 pounds immediately.  If the refs allow a physical game, stronger opponents are going to be able to control or steer him.  The staff will have to get him in space like a small slot receiver in football.

+1

« Reply #655 on: April 30, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

You chose to respond to my post from 9 months ago?

Having seen Darrick play in person dozens of times has given me pretty good insight onto his game. I've been a fan of his since day 1 but that doesn't mean I think he's going to be "very, very, very good" in the Big East like you say. I think Darrick on this particular St. John's team can do well, much like I thought if used properly Larry Wright could have done well. Both players are similar in frame, height, athleticism, and style of play. Now that being said I also thought Larry would have been a stud at the mid major level while just being a good contributor at Big East.

Comparing Wood to Lamb, an NBA lotto pick, while not impossible it is a little lofty and unrealistic. I know that Wood will benefit from the tutelage of this staff and he will improve.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
Eric Bossi on the Wood commitment.  SJU at it again:

Give it up for Steve Lavin and his staff at St. John's. Those guys can really recruit.

"It just felt like home," texted Wood when asked to describe why he picked St. John's again.

With Wood on board, St. John's 2012 recruiting efforts are shaping up quite nicely and they will make a move into the top 30 recruiting classes nationally.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1360708

And Brian Snow of Scout.com with the Wood re-commit:

It is rare that a kid who de-commits from a school ends up re-committing, but the St. John's coaching staff has figured out how to pull that off. First it was Jakarr Sampson, and now it is Darrick Wood.
Wood committed to St. John's only to re-open his recruitment during the early signing period, but deciding home is where the heart is, Wood went back and decided to re-commit to the Big East school.

"Yes I have re-committed to St. John's," said Wood via text message.

The commitment gives the Red Storm a versatile guard who can play some point guard, as well as be athletic on the wing. His versatility is probably his greatest strength.

It also gives St. John's yet another commitment in the class. Now the Red Storm have five pledges in the class, two from junior college prospects, and then four-star JaKarr Sampson and Felix Balamou join Wood from the high school ranks.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1182364.html

Moose

« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
Redshirt for Wood makes sense - http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=154924705&mid=154924705&sid=988&style=2

Interesting.

Slightly OT but the Rutgers poster mentioned they take kids to NYC too.  How can they.  I thought you had to stay a certain number of miles from campus.  Rutgers is not 'that' close.

Chilleb

« Reply #659 on: April 30, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
Redshirt for Wood makes sense - http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=154924705&mid=154924705&sid=988&style=2

Interesting.

Slightly OT but the Rutgers poster mentioned they take kids to NYC too.  How can they.  I thought you had to stay a certain number of miles from campus.  Rutgers is not 'that' close.
Exit 9. Off the turnpike bout a 25-30 minute drive from port authority