Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

Moose

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - Bridgton Academy - Alexandria, VA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #660 on: April 30, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
Redshirt for Wood makes sense - http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=154924705&mid=154924705&sid=988&style=2

Interesting.

Slightly OT but the Rutgers poster mentioned they take kids to NYC too.  How can they.  I thought you had to stay a certain number of miles from campus.  Rutgers is not 'that' close.
Exit 9. Off the turnpike bout a 25-30 minute drive from port authority

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loyc/genrel/auto_pdf/NCAAOfficialVisitRules.pdf

Interesting.  30 mile radius.  I'm sure RU cuts it very close.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #661 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Redshirt for Wood makes sense - http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=154924705&mid=154924705&sid=988&style=2

Interesting.

Slightly OT but the Rutgers poster mentioned they take kids to NYC too.  How can they.  I thought you had to stay a certain number of miles from campus.  Rutgers is not 'that' close.
Exit 9. Off the turnpike bout a 25-30 minute drive from port authority

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loyc/genrel/auto_pdf/NCAAOfficialVisitRules.pdf

Interesting.  30 mile radius.  I'm sure RU cuts it very close.
Yeah my buddy mike Poole goes to RU and I believe he visited in the city as well

MCNPA

« Reply #662 on: April 30, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
Wood doesn't remind me much of Larry Wright at all.  Wright was a good shooter, but a stiffer player without the handle.  Wood is more along the lines of Cuse's Michael Carter-Williams-type.  Wood has long arms, and a strong handle with both for a guy his height at 6'4".  He can take his offense to both hands and his stroke from the outside looks beautiful.  He's an excellent athlete and suits our running game.  He is capable of playing e 1-3 spots legitimately.  His biggest weaknesses right now are his sometimes poor judgement and his lack of strength.  If you watch some of his Bridgton games, he has all the tools.  Occasionally he'll miss bunnies or get blocked because he's rushing ala D'Lo in HS.  He's a kid with Lamb-like tools but is one of those that will benefit the most from our staff's help.  He certainly has a hig ceiling with his athleticism, handle and stroke.  I agree with Choz, love his game.  Let's hope he works hard and qualifies.

paultzman

« Reply #663 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Wood doesn't remind me much of Larry Wright at all.  Wright was a good shooter, but a stiffer player without the handle.  Wood is more along the lines of Cuse's Michael Carter-Williams-type.  Wood has long arms, and a strong handle with both for a guy his height at 6'4".  He can take his offense to both hands and his stroke from the outside looks beautiful.  He's an excellent athlete and suits our running game.  He is capable of playing e 1-3 spots legitimately.  His biggest weaknesses right now are his sometimes poor judgement and his lack of strength.  If you watch some of his Bridgton games, he has all the tools.  Occasionally he'll miss bunnies or get blocked because he's rushing ala D'Lo in HS.  He's a kid with Lamb-like tools but is one of those that will benefit the most from our staff's help.  He certainly has a hig ceiling with his athleticism, handle and stroke.  I agree with Choz, love his game.  Let's hope he works hard and qualifies.

Agree Marcus! Much better prospect than Larry and better length and defensive potential. (will get a lot of steals and cause havoc) Main need is to mature physically IMO.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:30:27 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #664 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »

Agree Marcus! Much better prospect than Larry and better length and defensive potential. (will get a lot of steals and cause havoc) Main need is to mature physically IMO.

I think Wood's game will take off much more with mental maturity and coaching, even if he never gained a pound.  I always liked this kid's game.  He still has a long way to go to refine his decision making and consistency.  That is exactly what college ball is for.

« Reply #665 on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
So he is somewhere between Larry Wright and Jeremy Lamb.  Unfortunately that doesn't really narrow out down much.  What kind of numbers did he put up for Bridgton?  I remember seeing reports that he had a couple of big scoring games
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #666 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Does redshirt mean the same for ball as football?

« Reply #667 on: April 30, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
Does redshirt mean the same for ball as football?

Yes...5 years to play 4.  He still takes up a scholarship during his red shirt year
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #668 on: April 30, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
When was the last redshirt that wasn't because of transfer or injury reasons? Don't see it especially for someone with pro aspirations. Can we really expect DW to stay for 5 yrs?

Marillac

« Reply #669 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »
When was the last redshirt that wasn't because of transfer or injury reasons? Don't see it especially for someone with pro aspirations. Can we really expect DW to stay for 5 yrs?

I would think there is a very good chance DW could turn pro before the fifth year ever came.  I think we'll need his shooting and scoring ability next year.  Sadly, I think this is going to cause someone to transfer, but that's the nature of the game.  We might have the most athletic team in the country.  You got the depth and the horses now...let's see what you can do with it, Coach Dunlap.

Moose

« Reply #670 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »

I would think there is a very good chance DW could turn pro before the fifth year ever came.  I think we'll need his shooting and scoring ability next year.  Sadly, I think this is going to cause someone to transfer, but that's the nature of the game.  We might have the most athletic team in the country.  You got the depth and the horses now...let's see what you can do with it, Coach Dunlap.

Wow can we relax with a SG ranked 100 turning pro early please?

Marillac

« Reply #671 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:06 PM »

I've been postin for over a decade on these sites.  How many times have I said that about a recruit? 

Moose

« Reply #672 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

I've been postin for over a decade on these sites.  How many times have I said that about a recruit? 

I don't keep track. :)

But pretty sure Fordham or Fun does.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:30:20 PM by Moose »

desco80

« Reply #673 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »

You bring up a good point Marillac, if Wood is scoring... he's going to see playing time.  Plain and simple.

Because of our lack of depth and height people have overlooked offense as a weakness we needed to address.  And rightfully so, those were huge issues.
But,we were last, or 2nd to last, in the conference in FG%, 3pt%, and assists.   
I'm sure fresh legs, a center if he comes, and a real pg will help.
But the guys who can put the ball in the net are going to see pt.  They have to.   
We have the athletes to keep up with any one, and our defense will be vastly improved now that Dunlap can play aggressively.   But we're going to have to keep pace offensively.   That's we're I think Wood can help.   If he's shooting well and moving the ball, he might be a much bigger piece than people realize.

boo3

« Reply #674 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
I get a kick out how , we as fans, can find no middle ground with our guys. They are either leaving early for the pros or they should be recruited over or asked to leave 5 minutes after getting an offer. 

Let's enjoy these next few seasons, they should be a blast, even if we do fear Iona. 

« Reply #675 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »

Totally agree with your point Moose just surprised you are making it here as my 2 points were not thinking the kid would want to redshirt and spend 5 yrs here and the fact that not many kids redshirt for non injury or transfer reasons. Other are always theorizing on all our kids leaving early such as Dlo after next year. I too just want to enjoy what we have and pay little attention to who might leave early. Sort of like thinking your wife may split early although in some cases that might be a good thing (not in mine thankfully).

pmg911

« Reply #676 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
If this kid is academically eligible to play in the Fall, he will have truly pulled off a miracle.

He was 9 core classes short of getting eligible heading into this academic year. It is all but impossible to make up that much school work in a single year

desco80

« Reply #677 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
If this kid is academically eligible to play in the Fall, he will have truly pulled off a miracle.

He was 9 core classes short of getting eligible heading into this academic year. It is all but impossible to make up that much school work in a single year

Wow.   That gives some perspective on what people meant when they said "he has some work to do [to be eligible]". 

Last time I checked though, there are 7 or 8 periods in a typical HS day right?    Take away gym, health, lunch, and any other bs classes, and I guess it's POSSIBLE... although probably unlikely. 

Maybe he grabs a class or two in summer school though; if that's an option than he certainly could fit it all in.

crgreen

« Reply #678 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »

Curious what your source is for the kids specific academic shortcomings.  Isn't it illegal for that info to be released by the schools to other than the family?

paultzman

« Reply #679 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

Curious what your source is for the kids specific academic shortcomings.  Isn't it illegal for that info to be released by the schools to other than the family?

+1 CR, unnecessary and harmful to boot. Generalities fine, but details violating privacy not warranted!