ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies
Re: ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
Big East is dead. It's going to collapse and leave catholic schools by themselves. UConn will be the next to leave

If you're referring to the current format and the long time rivalries then yes. But if we add school like Kansas, (who has a better basketball tradition then Pit, SU, or even Uconn) Kansas St, and Memphis, why would the Big East be dead? The Big East just walked away from a 1 billion dollar TV deal (I guess they wish they hadn't now) but it shows you there is still value in the Big East even though we are a weak football conference. We didn't lose any powerhouse football schools, and we can replace their basketball value.

The problem is football.  Who in God's name is going to watch/buy tickets to a BE football game with those additional teams?  Who is going to pay to televise those games?  Are they going to still be a BCS conference?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:10:48 PM by fordham96 »

ras

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
If The Big 12 gets raided more, which will probably happen amd we get raided more, is it possible the remaining BE and Big 12 combine?

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
USA today said that the ACC might add MSG to the rotation for the ACC tournament.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJUFAN

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Big East is dead. It's going to collapse and leave catholic schools by themselves. UConn will be the next to leave

If you're referring to the current format and the long time rivalries then yes. But if we add school like Kansas, (who has a better basketball tradition then Pit, SU, or even Uconn) Kansas St, and Memphis, why would the Big East be dead? The Big East just walked away from a 1 billion dollar TV deal (I guess they wish they hadn't now) but it shows you there is still value in the Big East even though we are a weak football conference. We didn't lose any powerhouse football schools, and we can replace their basketball value.

The problem is football.  Who in God's name is going to watch/buy tickets to a BE football game with those additional teams?  Who is going to pay to televise those games?  Are they going to still be a BCS conference?

I believe many of you are looking at it the wrong way, or perhaps I'm just seeing things through rose colored glasses. I believe the same people who were going to watch/buy or pay to televise the current games will do the same in the new Big East. Do you believe SU vs. Uconn is a bigger draw than Kansas vs. Kansas St. or TCU vs. Memphis or Memphis vs. Louisville? Big East football has always been dead with respect to ticket sales and TV audience. I believe injecting some Mid West flavor were the football fans are more passionate may even improve the football quality of the new Big East. There is value out there folks. The conference can become a better football conference now with the exodus of lesser football schools compare to the ones we could bring in.     
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:33:32 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
STJFan...West Virginia will leave, Uconn will leave, Rutgers will leave...there is nothing left.

8 basketball only schools will not allow the Big East to become relevant in football ever.  This is inevitable and was just a matter of time.   I don't think a basketball only conference (while not ideal) is as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
STJFan...West Virginia will leave, Uconn will leave, Rutgers will leave...there is nothing left.

8 basketball only schools will not allow the Big East to become relevant in football ever.  This is inevitable and was just a matter of time.   I don't think a basketball only conference (while not ideal) is as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

I don't think it is that bad.  It just doesn't have the same draw.  It's certainly not the A-10 with schools like SJU, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier etc.  I'm pretty sure Notre Dame would stay part of this league.  It's in their best interest as an independent. As far as positives as long as you have a bball coach with pull, SJU could be competing to win the conference every year.  It wouldn't be as brutal as now.  Schools like Xavier have thrived bball-wise in this environment.  SJU playing home games at MSG would always be a draw and we'd have a great OOC schedule no matter what. 

ras

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
Everybody is writing the BE obituary. Even if WV, Rutgers and Uconn leave. Potential replacements include Kansas.KState, Memphis,UCF,Temple.Housten, Boise St.,BYU,E.carolina,Army,Navy etc.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
I'm not sure where people think Uconn is going? Louisville, cincy, Rutgers, TCU, and especially WV are more attractive options.  ACC only has two spots left and the sec will raid Big 12 with the Big 10 looking at Mizzou and others.

LJSA

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:48 PM »
Everybody is writing the BE obituary. Even if WV, Rutgers and Uconn leave. Potential replacements include Kansas.KState, Memphis,UCF,Temple.Housten, Boise St.,BYU,E.carolina,Army,Navy etc.

Half those schools you named absolutely suck ass in basketball.

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »

I agree. What ever is left over from the Big 12 after the Big 10 and SEC are done combined with schools like ECU, Memphis, and UCF will replace football fine and basketball will only rivalries if we can add Kansas and Memphis.  The keybnow is to raise the exit penalties to ridiculous levels. 

There are ten Big 12 schools and six Big East schools left to fill 8 spots in the mega conferences.

Poison

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

Nobody cares about UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Boise State, BYU and Army or Navy.
Our basketball has taken a huge hit. Our football was bad with Pitt/Syracuse, and bad without them.

Expanding the BE conference was a horrendous idea. Boeheim was pissed that he had to travel to the Midwest.
It was a senseless decision to add these programs

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
I think the plan with Army/Navy would be for them to be football only members much like Temple was.  Would not affect the basketball side.

ras

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
We have so many quality BB programs sacrificing some  BB quality is a small price to pay to keep the BE intact{if RU,UCONN,WV leaves} The other option is a BB only conference.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »

Nobody cares about UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Boise State, BYU and Army or Navy.
Our basketball has taken a huge hit. Our football was bad with Pitt/Syracuse, and bad without them.

Expanding the BE conference was a horrendous idea. Boeheim was pissed that he had to travel to the Midwest.
It was a senseless decision to add these programs

Basketball hasn't taken a hit.  Boeheim and Calhoun are going to be retiring in the next few years.  They'll have a lot to contend with as programs.

Poison

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
At this point, who cares if the BE is in tact? Providence does. Villanova does. But we are in NYC. The ACC is sh*t compared to our numbers.

ras

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
At this point, who cares if the BE is in tact? Providence does. Villanova does. But we are in NYC. The ACC is sh*t compared to our numbers.
You better care because I guarantee one thing SJU has to play some where and it cant be a NYC only league. Where ever we play it will be alongside Providence and Villanova. FWIW I just read on the ESPN website UCONN is actively pursuing the ACC.

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Marquette fan here, from Kansas actually so this realignment is hitting me extra hard. The problem with thinking that the Beast can just add KU, KSU, Mizzou, Memphis etc ignores the fact that the B1G, SEC & PAC have to find enough teams to get to 16 as well. Where does the B1G go if Mizzou, WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse, or UConn is gone? Notre Dame is their dream but is their independence a threat yet to their ability to compete for championships? They'll only go if they see the 4x16 team conferences as the future of a pure playoff they may get excluded from. Mizzou would fit but they have to get to them before the SEC. Kansas and KSU become very attractive as well. Where does the PAC go if UT doesn't join OU and OSU? KU and KSU are next best options, unless they give in on their Sunday rule and let BYU in, maybe UNLV or Nevada.

The point is, there wont be a football-league with likes of Kansas to join with. You may get something like Memphis, Houston or even maybe UNLV if you could ever figure out geography, bu Kansas, Louisville, Cincy, Mizzou will all be in a fball-only conference.

Notre Dame staying in independent is the single most important decision for teams like us. If Texas decides to go Independent, this could actually end up pretty well actually, but they seem to want everything but independence to keep their LHN.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:58:40 PM by kcmarq09 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »

Yes if these teams leave and we don’t replace them then we’re dead. However, your failing to realize that the teams that are leaving or may be leaving, will be or could be, replaced with better football programs. This is not a one way street were teams are simply leaving and not being replaced. If the situation was that dire, why did TCU sign on? Take out SU, Pitt, WV, Uconn, and Rutgers but replace them with TCU, Kansas, Kansas St, Memphis, and Baylor. Good basketball programs and even better football programs. I don’t want to go anywhere near the teams in the A-10 or CUSA outside of Memphis, better options may be available. The Big 10 is in trouble and teams such as Texas Tech, Missouri, Iowa St. or whoever else would be available once there conference are done being raided. Where do you think those teams from the Big 10 would prefer to go? The BIG EAST BABY!!!!!. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:05:02 PM by STJFAN »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
No reason all conferences have to have 16. No reason at all. And consider that the Big 10 (aka the Big 1G) seems to value their schools' mission, many of their rivalries, and their strong revenue share. They HAVE their network, they're not trying to start one a la the Pac-10/12/24 or looking to renegotiate with ESPN. They may have just... stopped.

And TCU signed on because it was the best auto-qualifying BCS offer they had.

Marillac

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
Marquette fan here, from Kansas actually so this realignment is hitting me extra hard. The problem with thinking that the Beast can just add KU, KSU, Mizzou, Memphis etc ignores the fact that the B1G, SEC & PAC have to find enough teams to get to 16 as well. Where does the B1G go if Mizzou, WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse, or UConn is gone? Notre Dame is their dream but is their independence a threat yet to their ability to compete for championships? They'll only go if they see the 4x16 team conferences as the future of a pure playoff they may get excluded from. Mizzou would fit but they have to get to them before the SEC. Kansas and KSU become very attractive as well. Where does the PAC go if UT doesn't join OU and OSU? KU and KSU are next best options, unless they give in on their Sunday rule and let BYU in, maybe UNLV or Nevada.

The point is, there wont be a football-league with likes of Kansas to join with. You may get something like Memphis, Houston or even maybe UNLV if you could ever figure out geography, bu Kansas, Louisville, Cincy, Mizzou will all be in a fball-only conference.

Notre Dame staying in independent is the single most important decision for teams like us. If Texas decides to go Independent, this could actually end up pretty well actually, but they seem to want everything but independence to keep their LHN.

There will be four megaconferences.  Even the ACC was in question until they got proactive.  Kudos to them for not waiting until the SEC, PAC16 and Big 16 were finalized. 

Pac12 needs four more...Big 16 needs four more...and the SEC needs four.  That is a total of 12--with really 17 teams (between Big 12 and Big East) + 3-4 good options like UCF, ECU, and Memphis out there.  ND will have to align eventually with the Big 16.