ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies

SJUFAN

Re: ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
And TCU signed on because it was the best auto-qualifying BCS offer they had.

When the smoke clears, that would be the same reason we pick up the remaining schools. It’s a shame that this has to happen to long time rivalries but hey, greed it good.   

jr49

Re: Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
The BE will raid  CUSA. If Rutgers, Louisville, and WV bolt the BE is going to be in trouble. Ive always asked myself why the BE didnt take Memphis instead of Depaul ot Marquete since football is the problem.
Chicago TV market

Re: Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
I wouldn't count on Villanova. It's being reported they also have contacted the ACC about joining.

Villanova is a long way away from a viable D1 football program.  I don't think they're going anywhere but with bball schools.  No big conferences want Nova football.

Right you are, they lost to Monmouth yst.

jr49

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
I think these moves are a result of information that is not public yet.  These schools know something that we don't, and they would rather act sooner than later. 

But until the information is released, this is my assessment for both football and basketball:

Syracuse football isn't really relevant, so that isn't even going to be discussed.  The move for Pitt football doesn't really make sense.  Yes, the BE is weak in football, and always was. However, I'm not sure if this is true anymore or not, but doesn't the BE gets an automatic BCS game every year? And Pitt has a legitimate shot at that every year. Now, Pitt is going to be competing with Va. Tech, Miami, Florida State, NC State, etc...   While the competition will be better, Pitt could very easily get buried in the mix. So it doesn't make much football sense.

As for basketball, personally, I think this move was all about basketball, and the fact that Pitt and Cuse didn't want to play in a 16 team conference anymore. The BE does have a lot of good teams, but does it really help if you play Depaul twice and Villanova only once? They could easily schedule Villanova for an out of conference game. Also, with the physical style of the BE, the wear and tear on the players really affects them. In late March, the players are tired and worn down. The move to the ACC allows them to play a "softer" form of basketball and will be better prepared to make a late run in March. And the ACC is just as good as the BE, if not better, so they don't lose any credibility in conferences.
All that counts is what a schools share of the TV money will come to. Going forward the BE has no TV contract. Pitt sabotaged BE and in effect strengthened the ACC. I wonder if a court case is realistic.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
Wouldn't this be like in-side trading? At very least very unethical unless this all really came together at the last second.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Looks like UT, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma st, will be joining the PAC 12....
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2011, 08:23:03 PM »
Looks like it's bye-bye Big 12 now with those four heading to Pac-12...time to grab Kansas, KSU, Missouri and one more because PUKON and RATGERS will soon be packing their bags to ACC too.

Hope SJU can afford to send all it's other non revenue teams to far away mid west places to play. KU-KSU-TCU-MISSOU are gonna sure put a hurting on teams travel budgets.  :knuppel2:

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
If anything maybe we get with Georgetown and try to get into the ACC as basketball only.  Maybe we can convince them that having 18 basketball teams is doable.  I think that is our only option outside of a basketball only conference.  We need to act quickly.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
If anything maybe we get with Georgetown and try to get into the ACC as basketball only.  Maybe we can convince them that having 18 basketball teams is doable.  I think that is our only option outside of a basketball only conference.  We need to act quickly.

Not as far fetched as it may seem.  All the ACC wants MSG exposure.  If SJU was in the ACC for bball only, all of their league members would be filling the garden for SJU home games.  At that point would be the only point where an ACC tourney at MSG would make any sense.  Now that the rules are out the window, I am open to lots of different scenarios.  Don't think that will happen, but who knows. 

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
Talk is that Pac 12 seeking Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma A&M to get to 16.

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
This is bad, bad news for us.  I don't see it ending good for us in any circumstance.  Our lack of football is really going to hurt us. We can't join any other major conference because they aren't going to let a non-football school join.  We join a mid-major conference, and we are taking a huge step back and will lose alot of credibility. And as of right now, I don't think the BE is really all that appealing for any other school to join.

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
Peter Robert Casey
“St. John’s is a proud founding member of the BIG EAST Conference and we are confident in the future of the league." -Steve Lavin

I've been reading that St. John's is a possibility for the ACC to reach out to
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
I'm so mad at Pitt and Cuse for screwing everything up. I thought we had a decent enough setup here and you will never have a perfect conference then they go and do this. This seriously hurts us basketball wise especially considering that UConn is all but in the ACC next. Where does that leave us? I'm still trying to think how this will impact St. John's. If everyone in the Big East jumps ship, is a new basketball conference formed? :idiot2:

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
STJ_Basketball
MONASCH: "Confident in a bright future, with the upward direction of #stjbb and #stjwbb and the strength of our overall athletics program."

STJ_Basketball
LAVIN: "#STJBB family can rest assured in knowing that our program will continue to thrive as a college basketball program of distinction."

STJ_Basketball
LAVIN: "We are uniquely positioned to build upon our rich heritage and winning tradition." #stjbb

STJ_Basketball LAVIN: Market, MSG, fans, region of the country w/ best prospects are "just a few of the reasons #STJBB will continue its winning ways.

http://twitter.com/#!/STJ_Basketball
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:36:48 PM by kingofk1ngs »

MCNPA

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
This is bad, bad news for us.  I don't see it ending good for us in any circumstance.  Our lack of football is really going to hurt us. We can't join any other major conference because they aren't going to let a non-football school join.  We join a mid-major conference, and we are taking a huge step back and will lose alot of credibility. And as of right now, I don't think the BE is really all that appealing for any other school to join.

Basketball is only 13 guys.  With a good coach, we could win the league yearly in a lesser league.  There are positives to everything.  Lots of teams like Gonzaga in lesser leagues that are making the tourney EVERY year by winning their league.

Re: I've been reading that St. John's is a possibility for the ACC to reach out to
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Where?

Moose

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
Most recruits choose to play at pitt or cuse because they are and have been the top teams in the big east, and like the physical play in the conf. Now they are recruiting acc type players vs duke and nc, in my opinion a different type of player. And if your talented enough to play at duke or nc and are an acc type player why pick pitt or cuse? How many of our recent recruits had acc teams on their list? Look at kyle he came down to 3 big east teams (all with no football) a pac12 and sec school. In the long run it will hurt  these programs that they sacrificed top hoop programs for very mediocre football programs at best.

Boeheim is going to retire soon, and they will have to try to claim ACC success with Mike Hopkins at the helm.  Good luck.  I can see Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt actually and eventually heading back West for a job like Cal, USC or Stanford.  I don't think the move to the ACC will bring such great success as they think it will. 

I wouldn't count on it. That's what they've been saying about Joe Paterno for 137 years. It is very difficult to retire from the limelight and Boeheim takes on a whole new life in the ACC.

Jimmy B has to hate this move.  He's a traditionalist.  I would totally change my tune on him if he picks up and tells Cuse goodbye.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »
Just came back from a sunny day chillin wit my peeps to see this...

Cant express the words.

Like Dave say, The Big East is dead.

Aint no use adding Kansas or more Football. They gonna leave eventually.

Gotta create the Catholic League ASAP.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
Also.... man what a lousy week.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Also.... man what a lousy week.

u can say that again. hopefully KA gets this next week off to a good start.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:35:43 PM by theoffspring447 »