ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies

SJUFAN

Re: ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
Just came back from a sunny day chillin wit my peeps to see this...

Cant express the words.

Like Dave say, The Big East is dead.

Aint no use adding Kansas or more Football. They gonna leave eventually.

Gotta create the Catholic League ASAP.

Where will they go, the A-10, MAAC? After the big four conferences take their share, the remaining schools will flock to the Big East. We will be the only other viable option remaining. The fact that we weren't a good football conference to begin with and yet we still were able to hold a BCS birth shows you this. As long as we are able to field the minimum amount of teams (which we will) then we will be fine. The guys running the Big East aren’t as dumb as many of you make them out to be.

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
Just came back from a sunny day chillin wit my peeps to see this...

Cant express the words.

Like Dave say, The Big East is dead.

Aint no use adding Kansas or more Football. They gonna leave eventually.

Gotta create the Catholic League ASAP.

Where will they go, the A-10, MAAC? After the big four conferences take their share, the remaining schools will flock to the Big East. We will be the only other viable option remaining. The fact that we weren't a good football conference to begin with and yet we still were able to hold a BCS birth shows you this. As long as we are able to field the minimum amount of teams (which we will) then we will be fine. The guys running the Big East aren’t as dumb as many of you make them out to be.

Man, we gonna go down this road again sooner than later.

Best to go wit the schools that represent yo interests best.

And that aint L'ville, WVU, USF or Kansas and Mizzou.

Thats GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, Marquette, DePaul and then look to the like of Xavier, Dayton, etc.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
Also.... man what a lousy week.
Also.... man what a lousy week.
Me thinks you know something about something else in regards to the lousy week

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2011, 05:06:40 AM »
basketball wise it's been the worst week we've had in a long time.

the big east going down the drain is a big deal...especially with posters lobbying for a CYO for grownups.

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »
basketball wise it's been the worst week we've had in a long time.

the big east going down the drain is a big deal...especially with posters lobbying for a CYO for grownups.

I would rather latch on to the ACC but I don't see it happening.  I'm not big on latching onto midwest teams and teams in the Southeast to join a mediocre football league after the Big 12 and Big East are raided to the bare bones.

The basketball only schools are in NY, Philly, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis...hardly CYO markets.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJUFAN

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
So no one on this board believes what i'm saying is feasible? The Big East has value folks, as a football conference. If, and only if, the Big East should lose its automatic bid status, is when we could lay the Big East to rest in football. Until then, we are a viable football conference. Teams, such as TCU, who cannot get into the bigger conferences, will flock to the Big East. Write it down.   

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »
If we end up in what is viewed as a lesser league in whatever it is named-we can be like Memphis of conf USA and play a hellacious non-conf sch with more games at the Garden where we can get any school to come play us. We would be like a conf member and an independent at the same time. Key is coach, money and a committed administration.

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
If we end up in what is viewed as a lesser league in whatever it is named-we can be like Memphis of conf USA and play a hellacious non-conf sch with more games at the Garden where we can get any school to come play us. We would be like a conf member and an independent at the same time. Key is coach, money and a committed administration.

What you describe is exactly what we had b'fore the Big East. Thats why Louie didnt wanna join. But he did and neva regretted it. Y'all need a strong conference in this day and age 'less your name is Gonzaga.

And dont bring in no more fball schools. Y'all can't have a conference with competin interests between the fball and bball schools. Didnt work with the BE in the present. Wont work in the future.

« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
big east football when it tried to go big time created a stench from day one.  cheater miami was winning national championships.  then the other wannabe's failed to match the elite status of the southeast conferences of the world.  as i pointed out before, syracuse, pitt, uconn and rutgers to name four who are leaving haven't picked up a single point between them in the ap and usa today football polls.  forget villanova.  they'll join duke as perennial cellar dwellers.

acc football also sucks a big one.  adding garbage to the league won't make it better.  the acc will always suck the big one.  this is strictly about being one of four mega conferences that'll haul in all kinds of money. basketball will be off the charts.  that's a big plus for someone like the new nbc sports conference to salivate over.

sure, we can be the memphis of a crap league.  you want to go from the best conference in the country to one that brings in two or three schools to the ncaa tournament every year?

some serious creativity is needed here...

« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
Coach Hypocrite, uh I mean, Coach Calhoun says UCONN needs to worry about UCONN.  In other words look out for no. 1.  That's fine Jim, problem is 8 years ago you said that schools like BC among others should have had the interest of the conference and not just their own interest at heart when they made their decision.

Pure hypocrisy.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32103677

« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
Yo check this. A brother on another board post this and I'm straight up fired up!

Tranghese: "The idea [of bringing the ACC tourney to MSG] makes me want to throw up.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/19/former-commissioner-mike-tranghese-on-wfan-big-east-in-survival-mode/?utm_source=sports&utm_medium=dl&utm_campaign=whats-next-for-lonesome-big-east
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:28:07 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
Everybody is writing the BE obituary. Even if WV, Rutgers and Uconn leave. Potential replacements include Kansas.KState, Memphis,UCF,Temple.Housten, Boise St.,BYU,E.carolina,Army,Navy etc.

Nobody cares about UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Boise State, BYU and Army or Navy.
Our basketball has taken a huge hit. Our football was bad with Pitt/Syracuse, and bad without them.

Expanding the BE conference was a horrendous idea. Boeheim was pissed that he had to travel to the Midwest.
It was a senseless decision to add these programs

Basketball hasn't taken a hit.  Boeheim and Calhoun are going to be retiring in the next few years.  They'll have a lot to contend with as programs.

cuse and yukon aren't just going to go away quietly when Boehiem and Calgoon retire.  Hopkins is already annointed as Boeheim's succesor, and even though there may be a slight fall-off they're still going to be a strong program.  If he fails they'll throw big bucks at somebody to step in.  as far as yukon's concerned they've got way too much invested in the program to not go after a big name, it wouldn't surprise me if they spend more than what they're paying for Stutterin' Jim.

RedVet

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »
Quite frankly, with the now-imminent collapse of the Big East, at least as we know it, I don't think picking up elite prep players is going to be all that easy. Lavin can only do so much. (And don't think some ACC programs won't be waving their open checkbooks in his face in the next couple of years.) Giving kids the opportunity to play on the big stage in the best conference in college was a big part of his sales pitch. To think that a year ago, even a couple of weeks ago, we were all sky-high over the future of this program, whereas today I for one am deep down in the dumps ... And an "all Catholic" conference (the mere name of which might immediately turn off the families of non-Catholic recruits) doesn't thrill me. We lose top-flight programs like UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, and maybe West Virginia and Louisville, and possibly even 'Nova, and we replace them with the likes of Duquense, Fairfield, and St. Joe's? That's the solution?

redslope

« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Yo check this. A brother on another board post this and I'm straight up fired up!

Tranghese: "The idea [of bringing the ACC tourney to MSG] makes me want to throw up.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/19/former-commissioner-mike-tranghese-on-wfan-big-east-in-survival-mode/?utm_source=sports&utm_medium=dl&utm_campaign=whats-next-for-lonesome-big-east

Tranghese also made some other interesting comments.  He said the BB schools have supported the FB schools but now they have been screwed twice.  The BB schools should take a look at life on their own.  FB is too powerful as a business the the Big east FB schools complained that they didn't get enough but then the FB schools never produced good FB.

He believes that Big East is in survival mode.  The transaction was not done above board.  The Big East has basically kicked the ACC's butt in BB over the last 15 years so the ACC went after the Big East by attacking through our weak link--FB.

I say---BIG EAST BB schools enough is enough. Stand up to FB and set up our own BB conference.  If a FB school wants to join, insist that admission includes a $25million buyout as we want commitment.   First get a great commissioner who believes in the model, does Tranghese want to come back for the objective.  Next get a great marketing firm/idea that will make a true splash.  Get the right TV deal/exposure.  Sell BB ONLY league to recruits as the place to go where they will be the elite athlete on campus not the after thought to the FB team after all did Syr and the Pitt leave for the ACC for BB--NO it was a FB decision which is what their AD's care about.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:03:18 PM by redslope »

Marillac

Re: Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
Quite frankly, with the now-imminent collapse of the Big East, at least as we know it, I don't think picking up elite prep players is going to be all that easy. Lavin can only do so much. (And don't think some ACC programs won't be waving their open checkbooks in his face in the next couple of years.) Giving kids the opportunity to play on the big stage in the best conference in college was a big part of his sales pitch. To think that a year ago, even a couple of weeks ago, we were all sky-high over the future of this program, whereas today I for one am deep down in the dumps ... And an "all Catholic" conference (the mere name of which might immediately turn off the families of non-Catholic recruits) doesn't thrill me. We lose top-flight programs like UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, and maybe West Virginia and Louisville, and possibly even 'Nova, and we replace them with the likes of Duquense, Fairfield, and St. Joe's? That's the solution?

Big East is about to replace Syracuse and Pitt with Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State and maybe Mizzou. 

ras

« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
Not bad. If thats the case we wouldnt miss a beat and be a much stronger football conferance which would make out football schools happy.

ras

« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
RE: a BB only conference, I wouldnt be opposed to that and we can easily form a strong conference, but I think to much revenue comes from football. I also am becoming fond of the Louisville, Cincy and WV  rivalries. Hopefully this will be resoved positively. This is bothering me more then the inelligibiliy of our recruits and the potential loss of KA combined.

LJSA

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »

Looks weird, but I could live with it. The problem is that half those teams would eventually get raided anyway.

St. John's                Kansas
Seton Hall               Kansas St.
Providence              Missouri
Villanova                 Baylor
Georgetown             Iowa State
S. Florida                Notre Dame
UConn                    Louisville
Rutgers                  Cincinnati

LJSA

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

Looks weird, but I could live with it. The problem is that half those teams would eventually get raided anyway.

I forgot TCU, so if we somehow managed to keep everyone, add Temple to the eastern portion. Eighteen-team conference, 12 football.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:25:42 PM by LJSA »

Wods317

« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »

I think Rutgers, WVU, and UConn are probably all gone. We would probably have to add a few schools from smaller conferences.