Who is your new favorite player?

• 74 replies
Re: Who is your new favorite player?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
Harrison...I like shooters with swagger.

Again I think he will be a good player but I don't see him shooting a high %. Not crazy about his jumper. Sort of a line drive shot.

Was bothering me for a week, but I finally figured who his jumper reminds me of Roger Mason of the Knicks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:32:26 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
Harrison for me also.  Has some Dwight Hardy in him. 

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »

Again I think he will be a good player but I don't see him shooting a high %. Not crazy about his jumper. Sort of a line drive shot.

Was bothering me for a week, but I finally figured who his jumper reminds me of Roger Mason of the Knicks.

I haven't seen him play for STJ yet but his skillet and body control blew me away from the videos.  I didn't have a problem with his form...I remember being very impressed with his release.  He did really bulk up since, though.  Maybe that altered things.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »

This! Can't wait till his shot starts falling.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
Sir Dom - great defender, Artest like competitive spirit and likely a 4 year guy IMHO.

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
I like this whole team.  Too early to pick. I love Mo and Sir'Dom.  That said, after first two games gotta give the most love to God'sGift who is the most athletic and skilled big man/forward we've had in a long, long time.  He has been dynamic and has dominated thus far.  I know it's early, but he can not only rebound but put the ball on the floor and score.  Kid has a top notch GPA to boot.  Excited about what he can do up front.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
Phil Greene and Harkless

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Gift. His presence will be a force in the BE. Undeniable wingspan of 7'4".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:56:57 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »

I can see the mason comparison a little
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
Harkless, due to his well rounded game.

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
Moe and Greene.  Amir will make the list too WHEN he starts playing for us.
Moe Greene? What are you Mafia? :)

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
I like them all but i've been a huge Moe Harkless fan for a while now, even before he came to St Johns

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Sir'Dom was already becoming my favorite player but that block sealed the deal.  I love the defensive intensity.  He reminded me of a bigger Paris Horne on that block, coming out of nowhere to deny the basket.

Another play I loved was Moe's steal at mid-court.  He seemed to get to the basket in four or five steps.  He is incredibly smooth and agile.

desco80

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »
For me it's a tough call but I'd say Moe or Sir Dom.  I like both their games a lot.

I do consider myself an optimist, and I'm not one of the people who think we're headed for a 11 win season.  BUT; truth be told I expected more from Harrison and Nuri.  I know, i know; it's early, and Nuri certainly played well in the second half last night.   But, as athletic as they may be, they're going to have to knock down some shots to be perform at the level of other upper-echelon guards in the Big East.   
And the shooting, both from the field and at the line, concern me. 

But last year's team didn't shoot well at CA, and were much better both on the road and at MSG, hopefully these guys just don't like the rims at CA. 

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
Harrison. He has amazing fire. He was going crazy on some plays when he was on the bench.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »
As always, I'm waiting for this board do give me my new favorite player.  I was very pleased with the last two selected for me; Hilton and Avery "three-point record holder" Patterson.

I think Harrison would be the logical pick for you in following with shooting guards who do not shoot particularly well love affair you have.

As for me, I do not take "my favorite player" choice lightly.

Believe me.  I go into the MFP selection process with an open mind and no, at least consiously known, pre-disposition to choose a certain type of player.

Harrison seems a long shot so far as, although I won't render final judgement based on one real game and one D3 exhibition, he seems to be a bit of a punk.  He took a clean hard foul against St. Mary's and jumped up barking in the opponents face drawing a well deserved technical.  Yesterday, the same thing happened and it looked like he was going to respond the same way but G*d'sgift gave him an extended Paulie and Vinnie like bromance hug which diffused the situation.

A player who's best attribute seems to be strong drives to the hole is going to have to develop thicker skin upon absorbing inevitiable contact on his way there. 

I will wait patiently for the board to decide for me but so far I'm pulling for it to be Moe Harkless.  He has a smooth and easy, natural style that is effective but makes him look like he's not trying hard.  Makes me reminisce fondly of Bob Love and Chet Walker.

As for me, I DO take "my favorite player" choice lightly

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
Harkless........

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Harkless but Dom Pointer is picking up ground
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
Few quick thoughts:
I think Harkless will turn out to be the best overall player. I think he has the best shot at becoming a pro one day.

I really like Nuri's game but he is going to struggle against zones as he can't shoot. Our best offense however is him driving to the basket.

God's Gift is awesome! SJU hasn't had a big like him since Jayson Williams. The problem is he is not really a big. On tv when they huddle Harkless looks taller than him. I am really curious to see how he does against bigger/ better comp.

Pointer reminds of Postell as a frosh much more than Willie Glass.

Greene right now seems to be in over his head. Hopefully it is a confidence thing, but I don't think he has hit the rim yet with his jumper.

I can't believe I am saying this but Stith is probably one of our better shooters ( that is not saying much however) and might need to shoot more.

I have said this before but though I think he will be a good player and decent scorer,Harrison is not a good jump shooter. This development has been really the only disappointment for me personally so far. Was looking forward to him the most as I love jump shooters.

Overall I like all the new guys and though we won't win a lot I think it will be fun. If they stay together, Lavin gets some size and a couple shooters and I think this group will be special.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:40:10 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
Gene Keady said the other night that the most overrated thing in basketball is height.
If GG plays like Dele Coker should have played, why does it matter how tall he is?

The problem is that there are only two players who can really contend inside. That will hopefully be addressed with Garrett, Pelle and Cummings. At least one of them has got to join.