• 864 replies

PIB

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
I don't give a shit what they think.

Mike

« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
Btw, I don't know if anyone else has seen this.. but once again the Friars of suburban Boston are claiming we paid to get a player, this time it's Sanchez.

Because that's what we do when we're trying to sign a nice JUCO player, who doesn't project to start for either of his two years here ... throw thousands of dollars at him.    :idiot2:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=1323&t=8928275&p=2

Second time in 2 months they've said that about us.   And another clown on their message board has a vitamin water-bottle as his icon.
I'm beginning to think they don't want to be friends..

Cause our fan base never says that about other schools who get one of our recruits  ::)

To be fair though, most of the teams I see accused on this board of wrongdoing have a track record of NCAA rule breaking, Baylor for example.

It's been going on longer than Baylor

C'mon.  IF you truly love your school, it's like your wife.  You can't picture anyone NOT thinking they're the most beautiful, most wonderful thing in the world.   So if someone picks somewhere else, it HAS to be some sort of illegal inducement.  HAS to be.  If you truly love your school, no other reason can possibly make sense :)
Now that's a good one!!! So true!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:37 AM »
One of my buddies went to PC and I visited him there, and attended a game at the Dunkin Donut Center vs STJ. I was completely unimpressed. The campus is in the middle of a terrible neighborhood, and wasn't that great looking either. The Dunkin Donut Center is on par with Nassau Coliseum (and that's being generous), so I don't really get why PC fans are so shocked players would rather play in the Garden in NYC than their dumpy school.

« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:46 AM »
Not to defend PC fans sniping at us at all but their attitude may be somewhat fueled by the misguided feeling that they were going to sign Sanchez. Glad we got him really think he is a talent. shurinacheese crying in his cornflakes tomorrow morning. :) Actually the Cheese monster has no affinity for PC just likes to agitate and get under peoples skin and he has some easy marks and he gets a rise out of any reactions he elicits. But what the heck I may as well play a long and pile on-Cooley "the clown" gets punked by Lavin again. ;D

TONYD3

« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
Is Sanchez as good of a prospect as brownlee was?

Moose

« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Is Sanchez as good of a prospect as brownlee was?

Very good comparison
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #326 on: April 23, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
Other than the blue chip guys that Lavin will land, most of our guys will be asked to contribute to the formula of success to get us deep NCAA runs. Once the ship has been righted with everything that transpired since last September we really could have an amazing roster for 12 and 13 then beyond. 

uwsfan

« Reply #327 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
We are not in competition with Providence for anything. Let them say what they want. They are an A10 team in the BE.

True.

Their fans are deleusional. STJ is a tradition rich high major, Prov is a mid-major.

« Reply #328 on: April 23, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
We saw how nicely Brownlee fit with our staff.  If Brownlee senior year is Sanchez's ceiling, I'd be pretty damn happy.

Poison

« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »
Can Orlando bring the ball up the way Brownlee did? What was so impressive about Brownlee is that you could put him at all 5 positions. Obviously He's only going to bring up 2-3 times tops, but it helps. He played well inside, and passed very well. A terrific all around player. If Sanchez is on par with Brownlee then he is a terrific addition.

Moose

« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
Can Orlando bring the ball up the way Brownlee did? What was so impressive about Brownlee is that you could put him at all 5 positions. Obviously He's only going to bring up 2-3 times tops, but it helps. He played well inside, and passed very well. A terrific all around player. If Sanchez is on par with Brownlee then he is a terrific addition.

Brownlee similarly only averaged 10 or 11 ppg his last year of JUCO
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
Welcome to the team Orlando. Great pickup. This fills a big need

pmg911

« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
We are not in competition with Providence for anything. Let them say what they want. They are an A10 team in the BE.

Its comments like this that piss me off.

Poison do you realize how arrogant that sounds. We are in competition with Providence all the time, even if you don't want to believe it.

They have a Top 10 recruitng class for next season and Ed Cooley is a very good coach and a very good recruiter. To dismiss them as an A10 team is the Big East is ridiculous.

desco80

« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »

Poison do you realize how arrogant that sounds. We are in competition with Providence all the time, even if you don't want to believe it.

They have a Top 10 recruitng class for next season and Ed Cooley is a very good coach and a very good recruiter. To dismiss them as an A10 team is the Big East is ridiculous.

Agreed.  Records say we're 32-26 against Providence since the Big East formed.    Pretty damn close for them not to be on our level of competition. 

Poison

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »

They have a Top 10 recruitng class for next season and Ed Cooley is a very good coach and a very good recruiter. To
dismiss them as an A10 team is the Big East is ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Seriously? How many winning seasons have they had in the last 15 years? They are a bottom feeder. Yea, they have a great coach who won 3 league games. He's great. Stop wasting my time.

Poison

« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »

Agreed.  Records say we're 32-26 against Providence since the Big East formed.    Pretty damn close for them not to be on our level of competition. 

What is our record against Hofstra? Manhattan? Fordham over the last 10 years? Are they just as significant as us because they beat us? Head to head battles are not enough of a measuring stick. When Cooley takes apart the Top 10 on national tv then we can compare his accomplishments and significance to Lavin. They are simply not at our level.

paultzman

« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
Who cares! Let's enjoy a nice start to building a solid program!

Poison

« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

Exactly. Let's talk about Orlando. Can he start at the 4 for us?

DFF6

« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »

Exactly. Let's talk about Orlando. Can he start at the 4 for us?

At 6'9, he'll have to, but he does look a little bit on the thin side for banging in the BE.

desco80

« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

What is our record against Hofstra? Manhattan? Fordham over the last 10 years? Are they just as significant as us because they beat us? Head to head battles are not enough of a measuring stick. When Cooley takes apart the Top 10 on national tv then we can compare his accomplishments and significance to Lavin. They are simply not at our level.

They're not even remotely the same thing!!    Providence is a Big East school we've never "owned".   So you can't say we're not in competition with them for anything.
Forget the last 10 years when we've struggled then.   Look all time.
We're 22-5 against Hofstra !    62-25 against Manhattan   and Fordham 62-21

Providence 56-42.    You tell me, which one is competitive?